Skip navigation
GrandfatherTrout
Currently Being Moderated

Where can I find a log for bug fixes and detailed version history?

Aug 1, 2013 9:46 AM

Tags: #photoshop #version #bug #log #updates #fixes #history #detailed

Where can I see a detailed log of bugfixes? There was just yesterday an update available for Photoshop CC. It only says "bug fixes" which is not enough information for me. I want to know what has been addressed. Where would I find this information?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 1, 2013 6:09 PM   in reply to GrandfatherTrout

Adobe chooses to let the vast majority of bug fixes go unannounced and unheralded, not even to mention unexplained and unspecified. 

I started buying and using Adobe software practically since the inception of the company some three decades ago, and I've never seen such a list of bug fixes.  Individual Adobe engineers and managers, contributing to these forums as volunteers, will sporadically mention a bug in passing.

As for development history, Photoshop News has had most interesting articles on the subject.

http://photoshopnews.com/

Also, by Googling you'll find the Wikipedia entry on Photoshop as well as threads in this very forum where such things have in fact been discussed over the years.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 7:28 PM   in reply to GrandfatherTrout

If it's any consolation, I've found that it always pays to upgrade.

Adobe leaves so many bugs unfixed these days, that it would be a shame not to take advantage of the ones that are fixed—even if I don't know exactly which ones they are. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 1, 2013 8:10 PM   in reply to GrandfatherTrout

Yes, Adobe has a policy that I don't agree with:  They feel comfortable in leaving bugs unfixed and deferring them to future releases.

It has been speculated that now that they're no longer pressured to scramble to put new "gee whiz" features in the mature product they'll get more stuff tidied up.  I suppose we'll see in 14.1 and beyond.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 8:39 PM   in reply to GrandfatherTrout

GrandfatherTrout wrote:

…I just think, since Adobe is starting to pull money out of our pockets every month…

Not out of my pockets—for sure! 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 8:42 PM   in reply to GrandfatherTrout

GrandfatherTrout wrote:

BTW photoshopnews.com seems to be not active anymore... since 2010 - at least that seems to be their last post.

Yes, its creator and webmaster, Jeff Schewe, is way too busy with other stuff like his commercial photography, writing books, giving presentations, producing great video tutorials, etc.  Very productive and prolific guru. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to station_two

Actually, I don't relly do any commercial work anymore...it just ain't any fun any more. Which is also why I don't post to PhotoshopNews.com anymore but I keep the domain live for the past stories...who knows, someday I might start posting again. :~)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 1, 2013 8:50 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

…It has been speculated that now that they're no longer pressured to scramble to put new "gee whiz" features in the mature product they'll get more stuff tidied up.  I suppose we'll see in 14.1 and beyond…

…or innovation will cease all together. 

What's the incentive for the Adobe bean counters now to spend resources on development?  I can just see them salivating at the prospect of maximizing profits by achieving huge savings through massive layoffs of well paid engineers and staff…

Normally I'm an optimist, but this Cash Cow thing looks more and more depressing the more I think about it,

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 2, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

If it's any consolation, I've found that it always pays to upgrade.

Adobe leaves so many bugs unfixed these days, that it would be a shame not to take advantage of the ones that are fixed—even if I don't know exactly which ones they are. 

The question is are more bugs added then are fixed. Bugs introduced in CS4 are still in CS6 and are most likely in CC.  IMO it best not to upgrade unless Adobe gets its act together.  That seems very unlikely given their current behavior.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 8:03 AM   in reply to JJMack

Then one would never update, JJ. 

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 2, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

Then one would never update, JJ. 

There can be a big difference between an update and an upgrade.  If I upgrade from a 2013 vesper to a 2014 its not really a big change. However if a update from a 2013 vesper to a 1974 Lamborghini Countach is a very big change some times vintage is better then newer.  CS3 vintage over CC an update worth consideration.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to JJMack

I was talking about the dot update level, JJ, not upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 2, 2013 7:30 PM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack wrote:

unless Adobe gets its act together.  That seems very unlikely given their current behavior.

JJ, sometimes you get me with your negativity.

One can use Photoshop to do things to images.  Substantial and good things.

When I need an image for something, I just prepare it with Photoshop.  It's not the swiss cheese you imply.

The other day I was researching "drizzling" (NASA term), and I was doing things like stacking bunches of upsampled 100+ megapixel images.  I worked all day, going WAY beyond my RAM and pushing scratch files into 100 gigabyte sizes trying different things.  For everything I tried, it just worked, and in the end I learned some very interesting things. *

Photoshop didn't get in the way at all.  It just did what I asked of it.

My upscale sharpen actions push images past gigapixel sizes (e.g., if I'm sharpening a big panorama) and Photoshop just keeps on ticking.

ATI's current driver, Catalyst 13.4, is so solid that my system just runs and runs without a glitch.  It has currently been running for 22 days straight 24/7 (since the last reboot due to Windows Update).  No system problems.  I do see Photoshop crashes - maybe about once every week or two, but you have to understand that I'm both an Adobe beta tester AND I develop my own plug-in products and test them with Photoshop.  Last crash I can recall was MY fault (amazingly, you actually have to initialize pointers before you use them in plug-in code)

You talk like Photoshop's a POS, perhaps because you don't really want to join the subscription model (which I fully respect).  The practical reality is that the Adobe folks work hard to make it work right, and it's FAR from a POS.

-Noel

* If you're curious to see a clean, detailed, high accuracy 40 megapixel image made from 10 megapixel camera exposures using "drizzling", involving multiple slightly offset exposures, upsampling and stacking, and deconvolution...

http://Noel.ProDigitalSoftware.com/temp/Drizzled40MPSharpened.jpg  (big file, you might want to right click this link and open it in a separate browser window)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 2, 2013 8:13 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Very nice image of the Beretta.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,049 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 2, 2013 9:53 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

JJ, sometimes you get me with your negativity.

You know as well as I do that Adobe only fixes bugs they feel might effect their bottom line.  Adobe does not test code well and it hard to believe they do any regression testing. When users report bugs Adobe should have found Adobe evaluate the effect they would have on the bottom line and how much it would cost to fix them. The bottom line wins and some user loose.  Bugs go unfixed release after release. Adobe made changes in CS4 which makes Photoshop incompatible with itself. Those bugs also break user developed assets.

Some four of five years ago I looked forward to getting the next version of Photoshop for Photoshop code quality had always been high in the past but that has changed. Yes Adobe behavior has made me negative and CS6 made me not want new code from Adobe.  New code from Adobe is no longer fun nothing to look forward to.

Yes I would like to have the new ACR stuff.   ACR does not seem to have the quality problems that Photoshop suffers from.  Adobe policy is to always make the Photoshop ACR plug-in updates not work in old version of Photoshop to push user to upgrade and now into the cloud.  Adobe treatment of their users is poor at best.

Yes Photoshop is powerful has may desirable features. Photoshop is still the yardstick other image processing programs are measured with.

Photoshop is not as robust as it use to be.  I would like to see it  healty again for I have invested a lot learning it and programming it.  Noel you need it to work for your work depends on it.

Noel I just can not be as optimistic as you when it comes to Adobe I'm old and like good behavior not what I get from Adobe...

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/searches?query=cs4&styl e=problem    362

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/searches?query=cs5&styl e=problem   1200

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/searches?query=CS6&styl e=problem 1457

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/searches?query=cc&style =problem   146

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points