Skip navigation
maxelcat
Currently Being Moderated

can't record

Aug 2, 2013 6:46 AM

Tags: #recording #record #audition_cs6

Hi ALl

I have windows 7 and Audtion 6. I can load in a sound file and play it fine.

However, I can't record. I have read through others posts and get a bit left behind really.

I have attached my recording mixer settings taken whilst listening to something I wanted to record.

Also, my mapping and hardware settings.

Any advice greatly apprecaited

Thanks

Edward

audition003.jpgaudition002.jpgaudition001.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to maxelcat

Are you trying to record something you are playing from the internet? If so that option doesn't show as being available as a recording source in your Windows audio set up page. You are looking for a "What you hear" source in the list. Try right clicking in the white area below the source lisr in the Windows Rec page and enable "Show disabled devices" and "Show disconnected devices".

But looking at your picture they are probably already enabled. Many PC manufacturers have colluded with Microsoft to disable this function to stop people doing just what you want unfortunately.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2013 1:57 AM   in reply to ryclark

Yes, it's rather perverse. Older versions of Microsoft OS's and older versions of Audition did this excellently. This is why I keep a machine with XP and Audition 1.5 on it... It's also worth pointing out that in the first place, it was the RIAA that got at Microsoft, before they got at everybody else to stamp out this malign, evil practice that everybody wants to be able to do!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 4:21 AM   in reply to ryclark

ryclark wrote:

Many PC manufacturers have colluded with Microsoft to disable this function to stop people doing just what you want unfortunately.

I know it doesn't help, but this is just another reason I'm so glad I have a Mac. I've got XP, Vista, 7 and 8, on other machines and can record NOTHING with them using Audition, because it always says "there is no hardware to record with", even with an external mic connected. It's something to do with my sound cards, but "it matters not"...
    Mac has an app called Wiretap (it's NOT available for PC) that will record ANY sound that the computer can produce, be it from the OS, a browser window, line in, microphone or an app. I just "grab" whatever I want and then open it in Audition for final editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 7:28 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

glad to see, i'm not the only one who believes in best combo out there

SteveG(AudioMasters) wrote:

I keep a machine with XP and Audition 1.5 on it...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 7:46 AM   in reply to maxelcat

Another trick I use is:

ANT Video downloader for Firefox. It pulls the FLV down and then I run it through Wondershare Video Converter (Windows) or Xilisoft (Mac) to "extract" the MP3 from it. I can then edit it in Audition. The nice thing about that method is; if something causes the stream to pause or "chatter", you don't end up trying to edit it out or "repair it". It's all intact when you download the FLV.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to Mike M

C F McBlob wrote:

Mac has an app called Wiretap (it's NOT available for PC) that will record ANY sound that the computer can produce, be it from the OS, a browser window, line in, microphone or an app. I just "grab" whatever I want and then open it in Audition for final editing.

The equivalent software on a PC is Total Recorder.

http://www.totalrecorder.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to ryclark

Good to know. I "scoured" the web for something like that.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to maxelcat

Another way around this issue is sound card. Something like RME Babyface (and similar) and use routing, that will give you options to record direct "What You Hear", and it works pretty much with any version of Windows and any version of AA.....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points