Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone Else Having These Problems?

Aug 2, 2013 3:08 PM

Tags: #font #type #problems #dodge #rasterization

I have a whole set of problems which I'll put out for the community to help me find solutions to or to verify similar problems.

This is the first set of problems for now:

I have a slew of problems which make Photoshop a real snail slog when working repetatively on similar tasks, but with slightly diufferen tcriteria for each image - so forget automate!

1.  Type results are terrible in Phootshop even with rasterization! This is especially so with low-size fonts and curved fonts. So I end up being limited to

only a few fonts!

2.  After I add type, and then adjust the fill or opacity to what I want for the type, I then rasterize the type. The type gets darker by 20% and I have to  

readjust the settings again. Do that 50 times a sitting on Photoshop!

3. When I need to use the same specific type over and over again for images, I will make a new file for the type.

I will copy and paste the type.

What then happens is that I can't move the type layer in the photo file. I have to either click the pointer, double click the layer of the type, or several 

other actions, otherwise I can't move the type to where I want it. Sometimes, the type will even change dimensions, proportionsor size.

4.  Using the dodge tool to create attractive additional highlights in a photo changes the colour and saturation of the action.

Thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2013 5:46 PM   in reply to Stacey Bindman

Hve you tried resetting your preferences? These issues are not normal, and I haven't seen anyone else having the same problems. Which is why I thought of corrupted preference files.

As for the dodge tool, what version of photoshop do you have? CS5 and higher has a new algorithm for the dodge and burn tools that help minimize the amount of color change that happens mainly with reds for skin tone.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 2, 2013 7:54 PM   in reply to Stacey Bindman

Reading what you've written, I kind of think there are options you're not exercising, and that if you got things set properly you might find the results more to your liking.  Being given the ultimate in control means there are a lot of things, well, that you're required to control.

For example, there are a bunch of options for font smoothing, not to mention the fact that there is an option for choosing the gamma used in the math where font layers are mixed with other layers.

Also, there's an option for the Dodge and Burn tools called Protect Tones.  Have you tried that?

Could you put up some screen grabs showing specific examples of what you're seeing, along with a little more detail on what you'd like to see instead?  There are always SO many options in Photoshop for getting things done, perhaps some of us can make suggestions that can help with the particular things you're doing.

InPhotoshop.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,496 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Aug 2, 2013 9:33 PM   in reply to Stacey Bindman

What is your intended use for these images?  Prints?  Web images?

My first comment is that if this is the size you're working at, you should consider using more pixels.  "Soft" anything is often a symptom of not using enough pixels.

Consider how this looks:

BiggerImage.jpg

If you must work at a small pixel size, have you tried setting your Font Smoothing to "Sharp"?

AAMethod.png

Consider that you may never be able to get pixel-based text to look as crisp as, for example, a browser makes it look, because a browser's font rendering is optimized for the particular display it's being shown on.

Photoshop CC does introduce some new font smoothing settings, however, that can get you closer.

During Dodging, try this setting:

ProtectTonesSetting.png

I don't know whether it will help you with the specific things you're seeing, but in your Edit - Color Settings menu you'll find this setting.  Changing the gamma values may well net you smoother curves.

TextGamma.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 5:10 PM   in reply to Stacey Bindman

Stacey Bindman wrote:

Hi Again Silkrooster,

When I reset I do the following:

2013-08-02-Reset Photoshop.jpg

Is this it, or is there another way?

Thanks,

Toysearcher

No, clicking reset essentials will only reset that one workspace. Not your entire preferences.

When starting photoshop hold down the three modifier keys (on windows it is ctrl-shift-alt) These must be held down before photoshop starts.

If done correctly you will see a pop up dialog box asking you if you want to reset the preferences or something along those lines. If that dialog box does not pop up, then you need to try again.

This will clear any changes you made to photoshop. It will look like it did when you first installed photoshop.

That being said, I recommend following Noel's advice first.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 6:33 PM   in reply to Stacey Bindman

Low resolution images can affect the quality of your final document, like the crispness of fonts.

In your menu goto Image>Image size

And see what your pixel dimentions are. If possible post a screen shot of that dialog box.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points