Skip navigation
Richard Cosby
Currently Being Moderated

What would be the best disk allocation  for  four disks PC  Premiere Pro  Cs6 ?

Aug 2, 2013 6:43 PM

My equipment and System presently is as follows:

OS   Windows 7 Pro  64bit    CPU i7-3820 3.6 GHz Memory   G-Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB 4x8GB

MB  Asus   Sabertooth x79  Socket 2011    Blu-ray Disc writer  Pioneer BDR-207DBK

GPU   NVidia Geforce Gtx 550 Ti 1024MB GDDR5 (192 Cuda Processors )  I have Mercury .

4-Drives:  C: SSD Crucial m4 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s     E: WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s   F: WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0 Gb/s H: 1TB  G-raid  G-Trend drive striped 0   e-sata connection

Power Supply :  Corsair CMPSU-850AX Professional Series Gold AX850 ATX

Audio  Focusrite Sapphire Pro 40 ( capable of doing surround sound )    Pyro A/V Link for Panasonic AG-1980 VHS editing deck   with  TBC

MY  HARD DRIVE SET UP PRESENTLY---WHAT WOULD YOU DO WITH THIS FOR ADOBE PREMIERE PRO CS6  AND GERNERALLY OTHER  SUPPORTING ADOBE PROGRAMS ?     WHAT IS A RECOMMENDED DISK ALLOCATION?  I am willing to buy other drives or a different external

Drive

Characteristics of Drive

Suggested use for Adobe Premiere Pro Cs6 ?

C:

SSD   Crucial m4 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s     Sustained  read= 500MB/s SATA 6Gb/s

Sustained Sequential Write= 260 MB/s SATA 6Gb/s  2  104GB FREE

Os and Programs(everyone agrees with this ) plus "static page file" 46GB  for programs NOT back ground operations.  Is this ok? I have 32 GB Ram

E:

WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

931 GB Capacity

878 GB Free 

F:

WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0 GB/s 

1. 1.81 TB Capacity
  2. 1.78 TB free  

Media ?

H:

EXTERNAL G-raid  G-Trend drive

(HAS BACK-UP IMAGE OF OS AND PROGRAMS*)

striped 0 Raid

Capacity  931 GB

e-sata connection 827 GB Free

* I'll move back-up to another external drive

I could buy another  2TB matching Drive- WD Caviar Black 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6.0 Gb/s   or "use a swappable bay for your F drive, so you can easily make a backup of your media, since you will be needing your SxS or KxS cards for the next shots. If you use a swappable bay you can use multiple backup drives." Harm Millaard

Message was edited by: Richard Cosby

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 2, 2013 9:36 PM   in reply to Richard Cosby

What are you editing?

If you need the speed of a RAID0 like I use for my media, you don't want it external. If you are just editing HDV then one drive is fine. If you are editing DSLR footage and you seldom stack video on top of video, you may get away without a RAID.

I like putting my paging file on a fast drive. I use a RAID0 for that file. The same RAID0 I use for my PROGRAM CACHE AND PREVIEW FILES.

I use a RAID0 for my media. Captured HDV, file transferred DSLR footage. Also Audio files.

Then I have a RAID0 for my "My Documents" and some of my exported media that I want to save.

In your situation I might put cache and previews on E: and Media on F:

Test it out. If the timeline plays smoothly, you are good to go. Just make sure to put that backup drive to good use, and consider backing up your backup drive now and then to avoid losing priceless footage.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 8:52 AM   in reply to Richard Cosby

[Moved to Hardware forum.]

Here's what I'd do.

C: OS/Programs

E: Projects/Cache/Scratch

F: Media/Exports

H: Sell it.  Being RAID 0, it's no good for backups or Media.  I suppose you could use it for Cache/Scratch, maybe even Exports, but given the general unsuitability of RAID 0 for most things, it's better to get rid of it entirely and find something else.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 9:01 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

H: Sell it.  Being RAID 0, it's no good for backups or Media.

Unless it can be chaged to RAID1, then it makes a good backup disk.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 3:51 PM   in reply to Richard Cosby

Correct. So you are probably just fine putting your media on F: and your projects and previews on E:.

DV doesn't stress a modern PC much at all.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points