Skip navigation
erose50
Currently Being Moderated

Problem Reading RAW FILES??? Help Please!

Aug 3, 2013 1:32 PM

Tags: #elements_11

I recently purchased Elements 11 and am waiting for it to  arrive. In my photo class today I found out that Elements 11 won't open  my RAW files from my Fuji FinePix HS35EXR camera. Is there any way to  open these in Elements or do I have to return it and use the software  included with the camera which is not as functional by a long shot as  Adobe?

If anyone knows a work around or if I should be asking/looking elsewhere please let me know.

Thank You!!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to erose50

It ought to work. What happens when you try?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Barbara,

Do you have a new list? The current one shows the HS30 and HS33 but I can't see the HS35 (which was announced in January this year).

It doesn't look as though ACR 8.1 will include it either.

Of course, I could be misreading the tables.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 2:16 PM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

Ah, yes, you're right, Brian. I was misreading the HS33. The HS35 is going to need ACR 8.2:

http://blogs.adobe.com/richardcurtis/?p=1524

and since no version of ACR 8 has been officially released for PSE 11, I doubt that one will be. The workarounds would be DNG or using the Fuji software to convert it and then doing using PSE for further editing

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to erose50

You can use the release-candidate (public beta) of the DNG Converter 8.2 RC, available at Adobe Labs. to create DNGs that will open in older versions of ACR (Adobe Camera Raw):

http://labs.adobe.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 2:55 PM   in reply to erose50

DNGs converted with a DNG Converter that understands the raw format can be used by older versions of ACR that don’t understand the native raw file.  It is a pain to convert things to DNGs, though, and I’d expect PSE12 that from past history should be out in the Sept/Oct time-frame, and it would work with ACR 8.x and support the native raw format.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to erose50

If you don’t want to unwrap your PSE11, yet, then just download and install the trial version of PSE11 and confirm you can do what you want.  

The DNG Converter 8.2 RC on Adobe Labs website is an installer executable.   You would download this installer, run it, and then use the DNG Converter program that is installed to convert your raw files to DNG  files.

You convert raw files to DNG files one FOLDER at a time, so what you’re selecting is a folder not a particular raw file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to erose50

Sorry, but the release candidates are not compatible with PSE. (It's not the plug-in, it's the installer).

EDIT At least they haven't been for two versions now (PSE 10 and 11), but it wouldn't hurt to try it, but do the trial. Don't open the box yet.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

The ACR 8.2 RC is not compatible but the DNG Converter 8.2 RC is not a plug-in and so will product compatible DNGs.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 4:06 PM   in reply to ssprengel

Oh yes, the DNG converter should work. Sorry,  I thought you were recommending installing the RC.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

The DNGC RC not the ACR RC.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 1:54 AM   in reply to ssprengel

Hi,

Using the trial version and the DNG converter as mentioned by ssprengel would be a good interim idea.

If Adobe sticks to it's normal schedule, PSE 12 may be announced next month and I would expect that to support the latest ACR so as to avoid the use of the DNG converter.

You might want to return PSE 11, use the trial and then buy PSE 12. It's all guess work on my part. Do the others have a view on this?

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 1:11 AM   in reply to erose50

Hi,

The information on PSE 12 is pure speculation on my part but the fact that there hasn't been any camera raw updates for PSE 11 for some time, the fact that ACR 8.2 RC is out and that it is about time for a new release of PSE leads me to that conclusion.

The DNG RC will be an additional step but hopefully not for too long (still guessing).

You need to copy your images into a folder and then use the DNG converter to convert the raw images to DNG format. The DNG files can then be processed by PSE 11. Keep the original raws in case you want to process them in the new PSE when fully supported.

If you want to know more about the converter, have a look at this tutorial.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to erose50

Eric,

You did download the DNG 8.2 RC version didn't you?

If you load the converter, there should be a button bottom left About DNG converter - click on that to check that 8.2 is loaded.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 12:50 AM   in reply to erose50

Hi Eric,

As the tutorial suggests. it is better to have two folders. One is used to hold the RAW images to be converted and one to hold the converted image.

On the DNG converter form, select the first (RAW) folder in part 1

In part 2, change the option to "Save in New Location" and select the second (output) folder.

Then click on the "Convert" button and you should see a list of files as it converts them.

I can't test it here as I don't have a sample of a raw image from a HS35EX but the documentation suggests it it supported.

Good luck

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 8:12 PM   in reply to erose50

Hi All. I live in Sri Lanka.

Last month, I received a gift of PSE11. I am absolutely NEW to PSE. The package was unwrapped and installed, so I have no way of returning it I guess.

Yesterday I purchased my Canon70D and am dissappointed to note that PSE11 does not recognoze its RAW files.

May I please know how I should proceed from here on?

Regards

Ekendra

BTW DNGConverter_8_1.dmg does not install.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 2:01 AM   in reply to ekendraed

Hi,

First, this is not Adobe, this is a user to user forum where other users give their opinions.

We are all expecting PSE 12 to be released very soon and we expect that version should provide some support for the 70D. It is very unlikely that PSE 11 will be updated to support the 70D.

In the past, people who have purchase the previous version, within 30 days prior to the release of a new version, have been given the option of getting a free upgrade. Some proof of purchase is probably required so you may have a problem if it was a gift.

Your current options are:

1) Use DPP that came with your camera to convert the CR2 files to TIF files and then import the TIFs into PSE 11

2) Download/Install DNG 8.2RC and use it to convert a folder containing the CR2 files into a new folder. The new folder will contain DNG files which can be imported into PSE 11 and processed as RAW files.

3) Wait for the release of PSE 12 and upgrade

4) Wait for final release of the DNG 8.2 converter and install that and use as in 2)

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 2:12 AM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

Thank you Brian.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status