Skip navigation
PhilM oz
Currently Being Moderated

LR5 - worst release ever?

Aug 3, 2013 5:56 PM

The number of serious bugs in 5.0 / 5.2 is astounding, and the delays getting fixes from Adobe is unforgiveable.

As a software developer with 30+ years experience, I would be mortified to have inflicted what is clearly still an alpha version, on any of my clients.

The Adobe LR developers, testers and management team should all hang their heads in shame at this appalling state of affairs.

Phil.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2013 6:55 PM   in reply to PhilM oz

AMEN!!!!

VINCE

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 6:58 PM   in reply to PhilM oz

I'm not real crazy about the bugs either , but Lr5.2 is still the best Lr ever .

In Adobe's defense, they did fix the (newly introduced) 5.0 bugs (the worst of them anyway) in a "shorter-than-normal" time-span (albeit not as short as we would have liked), and gave us the desparately-needed feathering of the distraction removal tool - thank dog we don't have to wait for Lr6 for that .

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 7:08 PM   in reply to PhilM oz

"LR5 - worst release ever?"

No.

But thanks for playing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 10:19 AM   in reply to vinsolo

vinsolo wrote:

AMEN!!!!

VINCE

[edited by moderator - name calling isn't acceptable, even if it is in Adobe's defence!]

Message was edited by: Victoria Bampton

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 8:34 PM   in reply to Keith_Reeder

Troll?

so sorry, big guy.

vince

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 6:03 AM   in reply to PhilM oz

I very much agree with you Phil. I have been using Lightroom since the pre 1.0 builds and from my point of view at least Lightroom 5.0 is easily the buggiest release to date. 5.2RC fixes some of the more obvious problems but it is still rather buggy and (for me at least) unsuitable for daily use. In particular the bug that screws up cropping is still present in 5.2RC is a showstopper for me. The rest I'm at least now able to work around or tolerate.

Coincidentally I too have been developing software for about the same length of time as you, and I too would be appalled to have shipped such a poorly tested product. I seriously hope that Adobe are taking a long hard look at their internal procedures to ensure this doesn't happen again. This means not just their development and testing process but also how they deal with any fallout that arise from the release. So far the response has been slow and communication rather sparse which makes the situation all the more frustrating. Is it really that hard to put up a hand and say "sorry, we screwed up", then keep us updated on what they're doing to fix it?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to chris_overseas

Thank you for your post. I learned a long time ago to check this forum before upgrading. I just don't have the time or inclination to fight with buggy software in my workflow. It is a shame that Lightroom 5 suffers the problems I read here. Hopefully Adobe straightens them out soon. I'll keep my eyes peeled here but keep my hard earned cash in my pocket for now and avoid the headaches of upgrading now.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points