Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can display size be "smart" when switched with tilde key?

Aug 3, 2013 4:13 PM

Tags: #fit #tilde_key #program_monitor

I did a search for this and didn't find anything exactly matching this issue, so am posing the question here - and, if no one can point to a resoution, will make a feature request.

Premiere Pro CC:

I frequently used the tilde key to take my program monitor full screen, and then tilde again to bring it back into its regular spot in the workspace. When I zoom it out, I set the display to 100 %, and then when I drop it back into the workspace, I re-set it to Fit. It would be convenient if we could set a preference/default whereby the display would re-size "smart" by going to 100 % when I tilde to full screen and then return to "Fit" when I tilde back to the full workspace. I did find that is possible to map a keyboard shortcut to setting the program monitor to "Fit" but didn't find one for 100%. But what I am hoping for is that I wouldn't even need that extra step - when I tilde out to full screen, I want it smarly set to 100%, and when I tilde back to workspace, back to "Fit."

Any advice on how to achieve this is much appreciated, but if this cannot currently be done, I will put in a feature request - this is just the kind of timesaver that has been showing up in the last few updates! ;-)

Thanks,

James Edmunds, UGM

Acadiana Adobe User Group

Lafayette, LA

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2013 6:26 PM   in reply to James Edmunds

I think the After Effects option of "Fit up to 100%" is a good idea.  That way we always get to see the full video, bit it never get's upscaled, reducing quality.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 3, 2013 10:57 PM   in reply to James Edmunds

Yes, After Effect's "Fit up to 100%" is sorely missing in Premiere!  I put in a FR for this years ago, but think we could get the ball rolling on this one by all adding new FRs for this.  I'll post my official FR for this in a new thread when I have the time.

By the way, what you suggest is a great idea James!  After sending your FR, please copy it here so that we can copy/paste it and resend it to give it more 'weight'.  There's power in numbers!  I had also submitted a FR for this some time ago when I edited much more 720P material that I wanted toggled back to a 100% view rather than the default stretched 'fit to fill'.  Now that I only edit FullHD on a FullHD monitor, my image is no longer stretched but rather shrunk when I tilde toggle out of full screen, so it isn't as much of a problem, but this option should certainly be added nonetheless for all those who still edit in any video resolution that's lower than their screen's resolution (which ends up in a lower quality, stretched preview of their Timeline by default, every time they toggle out of full screen, something that's very frustrating to say the least). 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to James Edmunds

Hi James,

I just submitted this FR to help support your case.  Hope it helps!

*******Enhancement / FMR*********

Brief title for your desired feature: 'Fit up to 100%' display option in Source/Program monitors.

How would you like the feature to work?

1. The same way it does in After Effects!

2. When tilde toggling out of full screen view, the view setting the Source and Program monitor default back to should be 'Fit up to 100%' or 'Fit', depending on user selected preference in the Preferences window.

Why is this feature important to you?

Convenience!  This feature is so convenient to have in After Effects that it's surprising that it still has not been adopted by Premiere Pro.  Any image stretched beyond 100% loses picture quality, so for editors working with sub-FullHD resolution sequences on a FullHD+ monitor, a 'Fit up to 100%' view option would make it easy for them to always have their material displayed at the largest size possible without losing visible quality due to stretching.

Anyone reading this that agrees should copy/paste either this or James' FR and send it as their own.  Power in numbers!

Thanks

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points