Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Don't know how to combine two images

Aug 4, 2013 11:58 AM

I've brought two separate images together but the problem is I'm trying to get the first image of a person inside the bird cage which is the second image. please help!

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 3, 2013 10:58 PM   in reply to coldcat70

You simply need to look up some tutorials on how to work with selections and create transparency...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to coldcat70

It makes a difference in the order of the layers.  Try dragging one above the other and see if you get better results.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to coldcat70

Can you post a screen-cap of your Ps workspace, showing the combined Images, and the Layers Palette open? Tip: use the little "camera" icon in the Toolbar at the top of the Forum Editing screen, to attach a JPEG, or PNG to your Reply. It is likely that seeing those composited Images, and the Layers Palette will allow someone to see what you have, and be able to make recs. on how to accomplish what you want.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 6:44 PM   in reply to coldcat70

You would need to set Carina layer to multiply first, so you can see the cage behind her. Then zoom in and slowing erase bits off the Carina layer which is the cage (taking note of which cage wires are behind and which is in front). After you are done, set Carina back to Normal layer properties.

I am guessing this would get you the effect you want.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 6:48 PM   in reply to coldcat70

A layer mask would easily exclude the parts of the layer where you want the cage to show through.  It's pretty straight forward: create the layer mask and paint with black on the mask itself.  Black hides, white reveals.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 4, 2013 8:23 PM   in reply to coldcat70

coldcat70 wrote:

screenshot1.jpg

Make a layer group the contains the top three layers.

Turn the visibility of it off so all you see is the background cage in the clouds.

Use the magic wand to select the black cage adjust the tolerance so you get a good cage selection.

Invert the selection so all but the cage is selected.

Target the layer group turn on its visibility and use the add layer mask icon to add a layer mask to the group so the cage will show through.

The Layer mask will be the current target. Use white paint to hide the cage part that should be hidden by beauty...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to coldcat70

Janelle,

Is the "cage" in the Cage Layer black? Looks to be in the screen-cap.

If so, you should be able to find a Channel in that Layer, that contains the "wires" of the cage. Then, use that Channel as a Layer Mask in the Carina Layer. If you are not seeing one Channel, that has good "wires," then try changing the Color Mode, and checking the Channels again.

As has been mentioned, that will include ALL of the wires, both in front, and in back. With the Layer Mask Channel Active, you will want to paint out the "rear of cage wires," and then you should have what you need.

Good luck, and hope that helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

If those cage elements are black, use magic wand set to maybe 12 tolerance snd select only the cage elements in that layer. then invert the selection (ctrl, shft, I), then go to the model layer and copy it, turn off the original model layer, select the cage layer with the inverted selection active and 'paste into' (ctrl, shft, alt, V) that selection - ding! a new layer with the model in the cage. You will probably need to erase out some of the selected cage (see mask painting above). There's lots of ways to do things in PS, you just need to experiment with one that works for you, and the subject material...

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 5, 2013 5:17 PM   in reply to coldcat70

Find a pace/site you can upload your PSD file to share with others and post a link to it so we can  download it and show you how to do it since you can not do what we advised you to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 5:20 PM   in reply to JJMack

I agree.

I'd like to explore some of the comments that I made above, regarding Channels, and having both Images would be great.

Good idea,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,880 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Aug 5, 2013 6:40 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I would approach this in one of two ways.  The first is to use a layer mask.  With the girl layer turned off, I would use the Pen tool to trace the bars of the cage where they are covered by the girl. Then place a copy of the BG layer above the girl layer and add a layer mask.

Adjust the brush size and hardness so it covers the bars nicely. Right click the work path for the bars, and chose Stroke path using the Brush tool.

The other approach would be to build the cage from scratch, perhaps using a fine Bevel emboss layer style to add light and direction.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 7:10 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor,

The Pen Tool is one of my favorite devices, when it comes to Selections, and other operations.

I am thinking that there might well be a good Channel, that will work, with but a bit of work on the area of the "cage," that is in the back, and hence behind the lady. However, that might take some investigation, and then a touch of work.

The only hesitation that I have with the Pen Tool, is that one then needs to Stroke the Path, to match the wire of the cage, in the front. Might get it perfect, or maybe create more work.

If the OP can post links to both Images, then it should be easy to tell them what is the best workflow.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,880 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Aug 5, 2013 10:48 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill I tend to think in those terms because a lot of my work is illustrative making objects entirely from scratch in Photoshop.  The problem with stroking the path in a layer mask of course, is that the brush setting is reasonably crucial, but you can edit after the fact to some extent, but using either Mask edge or a combination of levels to crips it up, gaussian blur to soften, or expand/contract selection.  Someing I do is unlink the mask from its layer, and nudge it a pixel here or there, and brush in or out to get thing right.  But in the case of the cage, I would probably make the new bars entirely in Photoshop.  There are only three or four from what I can see, and they have no shading - just flat black - so easy peasy.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 6, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to coldcat70

Since you don't seem to want to supply your images I'll try to simulate what you have. You basically have two layers. A background layer an image of a sky with a floating cage. Your second layer above it is a cutout girl

TwoLayers.jpg

.Step1.jpg

Step 1 turn off visibility of the girl and use Photoshop selection tools to select the cage. Magic wand or color range maybe pen tool whatever works best for you.

Step 2 turn on the visibility of the girl layer target that layer, invert the selection and click on the add layer mask icon in the layers palette to add it ask a layer mask.

step2.jpgstep3.jpg

Step 4 the layer mask is the current target. Select white paint and a small hard brush paint white to bring the girl back.

step4.jpg

step 5 if you paint too much of the girl back in and wipe out some bars switch to black paint and paint the bars back in. Its very easy to paint straight lines. Click once on the top of the bar with black paint move the mouse pointer to the bottom of the bar press shift and click. A straight line will be drawn.

step5.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 7:23 PM   in reply to coldcat70

You can't "send" pictures in or with your email replies, but you can embed images in your posts if you use the forum's web interface through your web browser, as the forum is designed and meant to be used.

That's how JJMack posted those images, he didn't "send them to you".

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 7:25 PM   in reply to coldcat70

The whole purpose of these forums is for everyone to learn from all questions and all replies, not just the original poster.

Everybody gets to see everybody else's posts, not just you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,880 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Aug 6, 2013 7:30 PM   in reply to station_two

Don't forget the bars will cast shadows on the girl according to the lighting in your example image.  The subject in JJ's example is partially backlit, so no shadow.  But shadows are super important, because they are one of those things we see on a subconscious level, and the mind's eye will recognize something looks wrong without necessarily knowing why.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 6, 2013 8:20 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

Don't forget the bars will cast shadows on the girl according to the lighting in your example image.  The subject in JJ's example is partially backlit, so no shadow…

…and yet, I miss the shadows that the vertical bars in the background would be leaving on the sunlit parts of the girls body.

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

“shadows are super important, because they are one of those things we see on a subconscious level, and the mind's eye will recognize something looks wrong without necessarily knowing why…

Right on the money!

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,880 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Aug 7, 2013 4:26 AM   in reply to station_two

station_two wrote:

…and yet, I miss the shadows that the vertical bars in the background would be leaving on the sunlit parts of the girls body.

Goodness, you are right.  I didn't think of that.  The bars on the far side of the cage would cast shadows on the young lady's ample chest.   They would be tricky to predict as well because of the curves involved.  Any Pool/Snooker/billiards players here?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 7, 2013 7:09 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Guys leave Janelle alone she needs to walk before she runs as for curves I'm sure she has some herself

No shadows

Billiards has no pockets where Pool and Snooker has six.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 7, 2013 7:51 AM   in reply to coldcat70

I'm sure their comment were directed at the image I used, For it looks like she is busting out of her cage.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2013 9:15 AM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Trevor,

I understand completely, and I would possibly grab the Pen Tool first too. Just not sure that it is the easiest Tool/method to use, if someone does not have a lot of experience with it. I love the Pen Tool, but sometimes, it can be a bit daunting, if one does not use it often. Then, writing about how to use it, is far more involved, than actually using it - at least to me.

That is why I was hoping that one of the Channels in the "birdcage" had the wires clearly defined in it - to use as a Layer Mask.

As with so much in Ps, there are likely many ways to go about this. I also see that since I last visited this thread, JJMack has done a pretty good composition, with step-by-step instructions. I'll take a look to see what he did, to see how closely it approximated my thinking.

Just thinking here,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to JJMack

JJMack,

Looks great, and just what Janelle wants.

Out of curiosity, did you look at the Channels in the "cage" Image? I was hoping that maybe one would have that Masking, that was done with the Magic Wand. If not, then I would have done almost exactly what you showed.

Thanks for taking the inititive on this, and think that you have solved the problem.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 7, 2013 9:26 AM   in reply to coldcat70

Janelle,

Doing touchup in a Mask IS a bit of work, but it's rewarding work.

For what you are doing, some might suggest the Quick Mask Mode, which is very useful, in many instances, but I prefer to work in full RGB, with the Layer Mask Channel active. That way, I can see elements (pixels) either be revealed, or see them disappear. Every now and then, I might turn OFF RGB, and only look at my Layer Mask Channel, just to see if I missed an area, or need a bit more work somewhere.

I still have a "golly gee-whiz" attitude, because I spent many hours in the lab, in the analog days, creating Lith masks, and then touching them up with a 3-hair brush, and Opaque - or bleaching areas. Digital is just fabulous, so an hour putting the finishing touches on a Mask is fun, and so much easier. People, who never spent the time doing compositing in analog, do not know how easy the have it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,982 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Aug 7, 2013 1:28 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill many thing would have worked. I just use the magic wand because I knew the contrast between the gold cage and sky would be easy even for the magic wand tool. I think a channel and a level adjustment would also have worked well.

Janelle if you do not have a Wacom Intuos tablet get one,  Get a small or medium one. I prefer a small. Once you use a tablet with a Brush type tool you will never want to paint with a mouse again. Painting a mask is easy with one set the blending mode to overlay if you start with a copy of a color channel.  In overlay mode only the gray areas can be change. So all white and all black areas are protected.  Also read up on masking there are many ways to mask things. Often an image will shout use this approach to mask me . Layers and masking is where Photoshop's power is....

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,880 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Aug 7, 2013 1:54 PM   in reply to JJMack

OK Bill.  An easy way to mask out the cage:

Turn off the young lady layer, and create a new layer above the Cage layer.  Select the brush with a bright colour like Red, and adjust the brush to _just_ cover the cage bars.  Use the mouse (if you have a tablet) touch down on one end of the bar, move to the other end, hold down the shift key and touch down again.  The curves are trick, but lots of short strokes will look OK..

When the relevent parts of the bars are painted over in the new layer, turn on the young lady layer > Ctrl/Cmd click the red bars layer, and add a layer mask to the young lady layer.

Copy the red bars layer, and fully desaturate it. Move the layer under the girl layer, offset  and blur it, and you have your shadows. (maybe)

I like to think of Photoshop in similar terms to an airbrush artist.  We make stencils and masks and paint inside or outside or along the line of the mask.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points