Skip navigation
pburki
Currently Being Moderated

Reverse geocoding & file naming

Aug 4, 2013 5:36 AM

Tags: #export #metadata #lr5 #reverse_geocoding

Hi,

My images are geotagged. With Lightroom 5, I can reverse geocode the images to have Country, State and City in the IPTC fields. However, unless I go in each field, they are greyed. When I want to export the images, I want to use the naming convention Country-State-City-incremental number.jpg for each image, but unless the fields have been edited, lightroom ignore the fileds (and hence put ---1.jpg). Any idea how I can confirm the location without having to go to each image and edit the fields?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 4, 2013 7:01 AM   in reply to pburki

Unfortunately, you will confirm the location. You can do this by selecting all of the files (probably best done in Map module) then clicking on the field name for sublocation, city, etc. I'm sugesting that you do it the Map module because you can auto select co-located images by clicking the flag on the map.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 7:37 AM   in reply to pburki

This discussion is a good example of why I continue to use the freeware program Geosetter to geotag my photos.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 4, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to pburki

Yes, each picture or group.

Not all of the data returned by reverese geocoding is correct and/or acceptbale to the user. Personally I don't use reverse geocoding as I think current behaviour slows down the workflow without actually being more accurtae than the info I would insert manually.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 5:23 AM   in reply to pburki

Same bug here. You can't "validate" or confirm in bulk the values automatically reverse-geocoded for a field (e.g. Country, which is very very likely to be correctly filled automatically).

Even worse, trying to edit manually any of these fields (e.g. to add a custom, more refined 'Sublocation') empties all the other automatically-filled ones, making reverse geocoding almost useless.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points