Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Frequency Analysis graph default zoom

Aug 4, 2013 5:01 PM

Hi, I'm wanting to change the default zoom of the frequency analysis graphs. It's mainly the Y-axis that is the issue, -300 to +40dB is a little too large! I can change it by right clicking and selecting a new range (-100ish to +12 is what I generally choose) however, as soon as I close the window and reopen it has returned to the fully zoomed out default.

Is there any way to set it to a custom default zoom so I don't have to change it all the time??

Replies
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Aug 5, 2013 5:04 AM   in reply to L8N.ES

Frequency Analysis should reset to 0 - 130dB when you close and reopen it, and that's what it does in AA CS6. But I've just discovered a bug in Audition CC which can make it do pretty much as you describe - which I'll report in the appropriate place. No at present I can't find any way around it, except to do as you are.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Aug 5, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to L8N.ES

L8N.ES wrote:

Ok, thanks.

It would be great if it was customisable. I probably wouldn't have it going all the way down to 10hz either.

The frequency defaults are determined by the sample rate used - so max would be whatever the lowest resolvable frequency was, to the Nyquist value - i.e. half the sample rate.

Personally I'm quite happy with the defaults as they are, as long as the system works properly!

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2013 9:17 AM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

That's very odd. When I first opened the Frequency Analysis window yesterday to check it was showing the +40 to -300 range. I changed it by right clicking and dragging to the standard 0 to -130 and now it is always defaulting to that standard range.

Ahha. But that is with no file open. As soon as I opened a file it reverted to the wide range again.

Message was edited by: ryclark

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Aug 5, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to ryclark

Exactly! That's all in the fault report, along with the observation that Audition CS6 does it properly...

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to L8N.ES

I am not sure if I understand correctly but I have a similar problem. I use CC and coming from Audition 3.

When I am working on a project and I am zoomed in to a particular range of frequencies in the frequency analysis window, I apply an effect and the frequency analysis window resets to default zoom level which is kind of useless when working on details.

On Audition 3 the zoom level was kept and using undo/redo back and forth was very helpful as to how it was and what I ve done after applying an effect.

Am I missing a setting? Can Anyone help me on this? Since the frequency analyzer is a very important feature/reason that I am using Audition, if I can not figure this out I ll be going back to Audition 3.

Thanks everyone in advance!

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Nov 21, 2013 9:29 AM   in reply to L8N.ES

L8N.ES wrote:

Hey there,

Has there been a reponse to your bug report? Any idea when they are likely to rectify this issue??

Yes, and no. We will just have to wait and see about when, I'm afraid, but it's noted. sakisnac, this could easily be related, but without going through it all again I can't say immediately.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 12:02 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Thanks for the reply, but am I the only one with this issue? Is there enay setting I can tweek?

Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Nov 21, 2013 2:03 PM   in reply to sakisnac

sakisnac wrote:

Thanks for the reply, but am I the only one with this issue? Is there enay setting I can tweek?

You may be the only person who's actually suffering from it... and if there was an easy tweak, we'd have said ages ago; I'm afraid that there isn't, as it's a coding issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 2:12 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Hi Steve, and thanks again for the response. I wouldn't call it "suffering" but extremely annoying. I do not believe that they re-wrote the code for Audition CC from scratch, that s why I am so surprised to why they took something that works just fine and break it. hopefully they ll fix it soon.

Thanks again!

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Nov 21, 2013 2:22 PM   in reply to sakisnac

It really doesn't take much to bust code! But, since Audition 3 it has been completely rewritten to be dual-platform.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 2:31 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Thanks Steve, I know it doesnt take much for things to get really bad while coding but we are not talking here about a button that turns green or something insignificant.

To be zoomed in on a particular frequency range and then you click scan and then BOOM! the whole frequency display goes back to the default view, is a major mistake. Did previews releases have the same issue or this just happened in CC?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 2:35 PM   in reply to sakisnac

This was a bug that snuck in near the end of the CC development schedule.  It was identified after launch and has been submitted and flagged for a fix in the next update.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,601 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Nov 21, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to sakisnac

Not sure on the way this went wrong without checking, I'm afraid. Also, there's no point in going on about it - it's done, and it needs fixing, and we just have to wait for an upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 21, 2013 2:51 PM   in reply to SteveG(AudioMasters)

Thanks Durin and Steve,

this is the only thread I found on the matter, so I am not sure if I am beating a dead horse here. I am new to the CC version, I use it daily, that s why I am so surprised.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points