Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I change page size of an existing .pdf?

Aug 4, 2013 5:59 PM

I have Adobe Acrobat  XI Pro on my Mac running 10.6.

How do I resize an existing .pdf document that is 20" x 40" down to 4" x 8"?

Thanks!

Bob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2013 1:23 AM   in reply to rdmartin_1

Print it to a new PDF file with that page size...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 2:46 AM   in reply to rdmartin_1

Alternate method (if you have Adobe InDesign): Place the large PDF in InDesign. Scale it to the desired size. Choose File > Export > Print and create a new PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

In both of these cases you will lose any markup. However, they are the same processes I would have recommended also. You might be able to select everything on the page and then reduce the size, but I don't think you can do this easily. You would then have to shrink the page (with the crop tool). Just printing is probably the fastest solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 11:10 AM   in reply to rdmartin_1

Those are the options I'm aware of.

There are many features which people think "should be" in Acrobat (or any large application). You can file a feature request here to pass what you think should be included to those who make the decisions:

Adobe - Feature Request/Bug Report Form

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 11:55 AM   in reply to rdmartin_1

This requirement seems pretty rare, except in high end print circles (since Acrobat can scale on printing). So high end print-specific plug-ins may offer this facility. But InDesign may be cheaper.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to rdmartin_1

IF you have Acrobat installed click on the PDF button and hold until Context menu popups choose Adobe PDF button.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to rdmartin_1
    1. File Menu > Print
    2. Click on PDF button
    3. Hold down wait for context menu to popup
    4. Choose Adobe PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to rdmartin_1

Ah, so it isn't really the size in inches that concerns you, it's the size in megabytes.

I can tell you that the high end tools for resizing in inches do nothing to change the size; if ever Acrobat added a tool to do that it would probably be the same.

There's no direct connection between size in inches and size in megabytes. To reduce the latter, you can reduce the resolution of images using tools already in Acrobat. But maps are often made up of line drawings, which cannot be reduced.

Limiting email to 5 megabytes is still good manners. Consider the person forced to fetch your email on a cellphone paying by the megabyte! But there are many ways to send large files other than email, such as Adobe's sendnow service.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 1:04 PM   in reply to rdmartin_1

There's one other way: Use a script to create a blank page the size you want and then use the Add Background option to "stamp" your PDF on the new page, scaling it down to fit it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

One last option that might be what you want. Save the PDF as a TIFF or related graphic file. You will get a TIFF for each page. Then resize the TIFFs in a graphics package (not sure what to suggest on a MAC -- I use IrfanView on a PC) to reduce the image size. The open the images in Acrobat and make a single PDF from them. This may or may not do the job, but it might be worth a try. Philip is a long time MAC user and his advice is probably sound, though I have no clue since I do not have a MAC.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to rdmartin_1

Maybe it's an issue with the TIF file you used for the original document...

Try using the Add Watermark command, and select the option to add the

watermark on top of the page's contents. However, if your goal is to

minimize the file size, I don't think this solution might be what you're

after.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 7:50 PM   in reply to Bill@VT

Graphic converter is ideal. It handes about 20 different file types.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 5, 2013 7:52 PM   in reply to rdmartin_1

My applogies for running you around on a wild goose chase. I thought you were using another application and trying to create an original PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 7:36 AM   in reply to rdmartin_1

Don't mean to sound dim, but why can't you just set the output page size to letter/A4 and choose Shrink To Printable Area/Fit To Printable Area in the Print dialogue box? Or just choose a percentage to print it to and adjust up or down until you get the best result?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 12:55 PM   in reply to rdmartin_1

With photoshop you might be able to use the object edit tool on each page to edit them in PS and not have to open separately. That might be useful.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 12, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to rdmartin_1

The best workaround I've found is to open the pdf in Preview (the app) instead of in Acrobat. Then print to pdf at the desired paper size.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 22, 2013 11:38 AM   in reply to valray123

Opening in Preview, setting paper size to Letter and saving as PDF allowed me to convert a PDF sized at .85" x 1.1" to 8.5" x 11". (I created a dupe PDF, in order to save comments.)

I was also able to create a 4" x 8" custom size and create a PDF at that size also.

Both PDFs came out fine...hope this helps. If I haven't been clear as to the steps I took please let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to rdmartin_1

Hope this is helpful from my Mac running OSX 10.8. From the above screen, I click on Printer... and it opens the standard printer dialog. In the bottom left corner, there's a PDF button.

Update: Sorry, didn't expect so much resistance from the program. Basically every function in the PDF print menu is not supported by Adobe. Go with saving from Preview...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2014 11:04 PM   in reply to rdmartin_1

I had a similar problem. I needed to resize a multi-page PDF from 11x17 to 8.5x11. I couldn't figure out how to do it easily in Acrobat, but it's a snap in CutePDF -- which can be had for free on a trial basis or only costs $49.95. You load the pdf, click on "page tool," then "resize pages," then you have a menu of choices. In my case "letter" was already highlighed. I changed the orientation to "landscape," clicked "OK" and it was done in seconds.

resize.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2014 12:55 PM   in reply to rdmartin_1

The trick is to open the PDF in Preview app by dragging the PDF onto the Preview application icon. It doesn't work if you have the PDF selected and hit the spacebar.

This seems to open a different version of Preview. Once you've opened the doc in Preview, you can use all the regular PRINT options including select the option to scale and save as a new PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2014 11:52 AM   in reply to rdmartin_1

You can't resize the page of an existing document within Adobe Acrobat on a Mac, as you have stated. I have found the following procedure works with PDFs I have created from large sized images created by scanners (which result in large sized pages).

1. Open the document with Mac Preview, then File > Export as PDF

The default page size is letter size, or you can choose another page size.

2. Then open the resulting document with Adobe Acrobat.

3. File > Save as other... > Optimized PDF

4. The open the resulting document with Adobe Acrobat.

5. Tools > Text Recognition > In this file

6. Finally, you get to save the reduced page size, and reduced file size document!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points