Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to enable Pinterest in iPad app without Xcode?

Aug 5, 2013 11:42 AM

I subscribe to the Professional edition which enables Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest etc.

Confused though on how to enable Pinterest without using Xcode though. The Pinterest developers site only gives instructions for Xcode, and I'm using InDesign CC (which basically replaces Xcode).

Or maybe Pinterest is only available for iPhone apps and not iPad apps?

Any help most appreciated!

Bruce

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 5, 2013 11:53 AM   in reply to ediblesf

You enable Pinterest in the Social Sharing pane of DPS App Builder.

pinterest_appbuilder.jpg

See this article about using social sharing features in DPS:

http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-publishing-suite/help/using-social-shar ing.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 5, 2013 12:57 PM   in reply to ediblesf

This is really two different questions: (1) What's the difference between Protected and Free? (2) Why does the Pinterest share no work when Facebook and Twitter do?

(1) If you set an article to Protected, you don't allow that article to be available for viewing in the web viewer when the article is shared. Instead, the Publication URL you specify in DPS App Builder is used as the share link for all share types (with the exception of Pinterest, which I'll get to next). If you set an article to Free, sharing from your app includes a link to the article. For example, if someone shares an article with me from your app, clicking the link on a computer either lets me read the article (if you set it to Free) or it sends me to your Publication URL website (if you set the article to Protected).

(2) Pinterest behaves a little differently from Twitter and Facebook. Pinterest generates a thumbnail image from the current page in the article to be pinned. If an article is protected, that thumbnail cannot be generated, so an error appears instead of the Publication URL.

It sounds like you should go into Folio Producer, mark your articles as Free (unless you have a compelling reason to leave them protected), and then update the folio. Then Pinterest will be enabled fully in your app.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to ediblesf

You need to set "Free" on the article, not the folio. See http://helpx.adobe.com/digital-publishing-suite/help/folio-producer-ed itor.html for how to switch to article list view and then toggle the individual articles to Free there.

Neil

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,643 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Aug 5, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to ediblesf

Wait, why did you change the folio from Free to Retail? Do you have in-app purchases set up in iTunes Connect?

All you needed to do was set the articles in the folio to free and then update the folio. After a few minutes, the articles will be uploaded to the web viewer server and you'll be able to view them through shared links.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 5, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Bob made an important point: "After a few minutes, the articles will be uploaded to the web viewer server and you'll be able to view them through shared links."

It takes us a bit to process the articles and have them ready for sharing. If you were testing Pinterest sharing immediately after updating the folio you likely were too fast.

Publish the folio again as a free folio and then go get a cup of coffee/enjoy the sunshine/etc for about 10 minutes. Then try sharing via Pinterest.

Neil

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points