• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video Formats & Codecs

Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the difference between a video format & codec, for example in PP you could export something using .mov format with h.264 codec, you could also export something using a H.264 format? Just trying to get some clarification so I could understand these things better.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

People's Champ , Aug 06, 2013 Aug 06, 2013

Here is John T Smith's recommended reading on this subject:

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is John T Smith's recommended reading on this subject:

Read Bill Hunt on a file type as WRAPPER

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037

What is a CODEC... a Primer

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/546811

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2014 Jan 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much for your help.
tips from Bill Hunt helped.
some files in premiere imported good.

with the help program MediaInfo I learned what codec have these files:

video codec - dv. audio codec -PCM.

With help program Nero i recoded necessary file into video codec -dv and audio codec - PCM.

import the file completed successfully

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply put, the format specifies details about the file, whereas the codec specifies details about the video and audio in that file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, technically the H.264 export selection could just have well been called the MP4 export, but that would have confused some of the highly technical people, or really annoyed them.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should redefine export presets and make it more clear about the codec and the container. There "format" term is not very intuitive, because it merges container and codec in its own way. It's a bit confusing that you can make .mp4 files via several "formats" (for example H.264 and MPEG4), and .mov files only via one "format" (Quicktime).

Additionally when I choose H.264 it confuses me because I select the codec, and I expect to chose the video format when I discover I'm limited to .MP4 and .3GPP containers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Aug 07, 2013 Aug 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They should redefine export presets and make it more clear about the codec and the container.

I certainly can't argue with that. I am not exactly sure what it should look like, but my guess is that we should be able to click a button to get a list by extensions, or one to get a list by codec. Maybe even a drop down to list for the reason we are exporting... for web page, for YouTube, for email, for DVD, etc. It is almost that easy now, but not quite easy enough.

Or, the fact of the matter is, once you know what you just learned, the issue pretty much becomes moot.

artofzootography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2014 Mar 23, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank for the reply and information.

However, I found the problem to be my video conversion program. Using another application, now everything seems to be working OK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines