Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

When did Bridge become such a piece of crap?

Aug 6, 2013 10:40 PM

Tags: #error #adobe #bridge #crash #cs6 #cc #bug_report

why does bridge seem to crash every single time i use it?  i know other people have experienced the same issues because I read about them in the forums.  What happened?

I just tried a simple task - sort by dimension. Bridge crashed EIGHT times before I finally gave up and sort with finder. IS that what I have to do now when I want menial tasks that bridge used to be GREAT at?

Very confused and would love to know if someone has some sort of solution that fixes bridge and does not involve any destruction of eqt.

Using CS6 on a macbook pro

thanks

Replies
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 7, 2013 4:29 AM   in reply to spookie_ie

What happened?

First of all Bridge has its downside but is not a piece of crap. That out of the way, first use Apple disk utility to run a check and repair permissions. Then restart Bridge holding down option key and choose reset preferences to reset them to factory defaults.

Then try again.

If still in trouble report back with all the details about system version, exact software version, amount of RAM and free space left on your MBP

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 24, 2013 12:04 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

No, it realy is a piece of junk.  The latest CC ver. has to rebuild an entire thumbnail collection when you delte a single file.  It's crazy.  It won't search by keyword either.  It rather show you every file in exsistance.  OMG...

regardless, I'm using Win Explorere again.  That was a was a waste of time. 

Thx Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 24, 2013 5:04 PM   in reply to mattsmith98

We try to help users solve problems.  But looks like you both are already conviced it is worthless, so thanks for the heads up before we waste our time.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Nov 24, 2013 11:55 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Like Curt stated, you might rethink your post and before blaming Adobe try to first look at the manual and your own system.

There is much to comment on Bridge because it does not get the attention for further developing as it should get from Adobe but there are many happy users that do work with Bridge without the problems you are describing.

If you want you can get help trying to solve this problem, if you don't it is also fine, we are not the ones with the the problem. It is entirely up to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 25, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to spookie_ie

It is rare to get an Adobe employee on this site.  We are just users like you.

The error for requesting empty the cache is not all that uncommon on a mac.  The are numerous posts on this.  Here is an excerpt from one Omke posted some time ago.

If your cache has got real corrupted then the quickest and best way to solve this is manual dump the cache and start again, maybe also with fresh settings.

Here is what I would do.

Quit Bridge,

Find the user library (the library in your user account, not on root level)

User(your name)/ library/ caches/ Adobe/ Bridge CS6. Inhere are a plug in and a folder called cache. Grab both items and drag them outside the user library, preferably in the trash

In same user library go to the folder preferences and inhere find and delete the Bridge plist file (com.adobe.bridge5.plist).

All removed files will refresh itself with new and empty ones after you have restarted Bridge.

Again hold down option key to restart Bridge and choose reset preferences.

Now you have a fresh almost out of the box Bridge with factory default settings and empty cache. You need to set your custom wishes in prefs again and also custom UI colors. Your custom work spaces are also still there but might to be reset.

Now you need to recache the lot to rebuild the thumbs and previews, you can do so overnight and if you want all your images cached just pick the main folder and in menu view use 'show items from subfolders' and let it run for a while.

Search works well, but the files have to be indexed for the search to work.  You also have to be on the same drive, and the search starts where you indicate and moves down from there.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 29, 2013 3:35 AM   in reply to spookie_ie

spookie_ie wrote:

OK

For the record, I had no idea Adobe employees were so sensitive to a little criticism.

OK

Maybe you should think before you criticise.

Omke is an Adobe product user, just like you, except more helpful. Curt is an end-user too, who also puts in a lot of his spare time on these forums. They're not even "fanboys", as they both have plenty of product and company criticisms of their own.

For future reference, Adobe staff occasionally post in these "community" forums, but the Bridge forum is a very low priority and they are like rocking horse doodah here. You can spot the staff, from the word "staff" next to their username at the top of the post.

Although Bridge has plenty of room for improvement, and Adobe doesn't appear to want to improve it, it does not exhibit the problems mentioned above for the majority of Bridge users. I would suggest that these are faults which can be overcome. But to overcome them effectively, it's best not to wade in complaining to deaf ears and slagging off your peers. Better to explain the problem accurately and politely ask for help.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 8:51 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

I'm with all on this forum who say it's a piece of crap. It's true. Adobe, stop blaming the users and pro-Adobe fans, stop defending it. It's garbage. From the first Bridge to CS6, it's been terrible all along. With CS5 it got a 'little' better, but still way too slow. I used to use a $50 program called ACDSee which ran circles around Bridge. It did almost everything bridge could do, but 10 times faster.

Don't blame it on anti-virus: Real programs should be written to work WITH anti-virus. Ridiculous

I just installed CS6 and cannot believe how much worse bridge got. I mean, how do you actually make the software worse! Not touching it would have been an improvement but somehow adobe got into the code and F***ed it up more! Mine pauses EVERY time I try to touch a menu. It takes 10-15 seconds every time I change folders, EVEN IF THERE ARE NO IMAGES. Chris Cox, I'd like to see you defend this one...

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to garek007

Adobe really doesn't come in here much. Honest.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to Yammer

I know... Believe me I do... I've just seen way too many people defending this piece of crap known as bridge. I'd just like someone from Adobe (Chris Cox) to come in and say, "Yeah, we blew it, it's a pile of garbage". Just fess up and be straight with us, we all know it, they know it too. Be real with us instead of using marketing spin and acting like it's actually a real product.... and constantly blaming the end user.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to garek007

Chris writes code for Photoshop but has no connection to Bridge.  Yes, he works for Adobe but many different sections in many countires even.  Little coordination between the players. 

I don't think anyone defends Bridge as a great piece of software.  We all complain about the cache as well as other features.  There are other options, but most think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. 

And yes many of the problems are from the end user and their machine.  THere is an endless variety of computer "guts" so no one program is going to work well out of the box with all of them.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Dec 6, 2013 1:51 PM   in reply to garek007

Be real with us instead of using marketing spin and acting like it's actually a real product….

Do you really know 1 large company that act as if their users are the most important human beings for them??…

And I use Apple also and while pretty comfortable with the major parts of it I also can think of some things they really can do better to suit my personal world.

That aside and despite all shortcomings Bridge can be blamed of I strongly disagree with your qualification of Bridge and find it even a bit insulting for an application that I use in my daily workflow as a real time saver. I really don't recognize the behavior you describe, my Bridge is up to speed and always (well, except for version 2 in CS3…) been a very useful application.

Like Yammer and Curt already stated, you will not likely hear very much of Adobe in this forum but I certainly would not hold my breath to wait for your wanted statement from anyone at Adobe. And Chris is a dedicated software engineer who is kind enough to visit these forums every know and then in his spare time.

If you do like to hold your breath then meanwhile look at this video from Adobe CEO for proof even the highest regions won't provide you with answers (and I also doubt the man even knows of the existence of Bridge at all apart from being a card game and a useful peace of road…)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78yigV0GYGQ

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 6, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Do you really know 1 large company that act as if their users are the most important human beings for them??…

No... of course not.... the world is a messed up place right now.... I just wish there was an alternative to Adobe products. Unfortanately, there really isn't... Adobe used to be better, but you'e right, they got too big and now I'm sure there are many, many inefficiences.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points