Skip navigation
RacingTog
Currently Being Moderated

I need to see Date Created Order to the second, not minute.

Aug 7, 2013 5:15 PM

Tags: #adobe #bridge #order #date #created

I currently shoot sport on two camera bodies, Nikon D3 and D3s.  The timing of the shots is critical and I need to sort them in "Date Created Order" in Adobe Bridge. The software usually does a very good job of this, it seems to know, which order to arrange them in, but sometimes I need to rearrange the order manually.  To do this I need to be able to see, to the second, when each file was created.  In Adobe Bridge, I only seem to be able to see which minute the file was created.

Windows 7 Adobe Creative Cloud and CS6

Many thanks,

Matt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 7, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to RacingTog

The time is presented to 1/100 of a second in Bridge.  Every so often there is an inquire like yours.  In a mac it is controlled by a setting in the OS.  Not sure if one in Win OS. 

Make sure metadata is set up correctly.  See this  post http://forums.adobe.com/thread/885898

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 8, 2013 1:54 AM   in reply to RacingTog

Maybe you are not looking at the correct place to see the seconds, but indeed, it would have been more easier if you could select the seconds also to show under the thumbs, would make a great Feature Request.

I include some screenshots from my (customized) workspaces, your's might vary but the goal is the same.

Here is a part of my usual workspace showing content, preview and metadata panel. In the metadata panel you will find what you are looking for (at least in seconds instead of minutes):

Date_Time-1.jpg

And from the default metadata workspace (should be possible to customize much more but it isn't and therefor almost useless for my workflow):

Date_Time-2.jpg

Problem when needing the milisecond info I don't know a way in panels other then maybe using scripting or third party exif change applications. But If you need to look for it it usually can be find in the file info intself under the Raw Data tab (this is for a Canon CR2 file, YMMV:

Date_Time-3.jpg

Hope this helps a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 9:53 AM   in reply to RacingTog

I still think it is in the OS.  Check out this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-the-display-of-date s-times-currency-and-measurements

If this makes it right please mark answered so others that may have same problem will see the solution.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 5:20 PM   in reply to RacingTog

Are you looking in the metadata tab?  As you will note the Content tab only shows to minute.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 28, 2013 12:49 AM   in reply to RacingTog

I believe you are on Windows and I am on Mac.

However that should not make difference for Bridge Metadata info I believe.

To be sure, the first screenshot I provided shows seconds and you still don't have that in view on your system?

Using file info (Bridge menu File / file info and then the Raw Data Tab) should show the milliseconds, at least for Canon EOS 1 series, I have no reason to believe Nikon should not have the same option for these camera's.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Here is screen shot of metadata tab for Nikon.

bridge meta.JPG

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 28, 2013 9:14 AM   in reply to Curt Y

I really believe it shows hours, minutes and seconds

For milliseconds you have to look in the File info Raw Data tab.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 10:41 AM   in reply to Omke Oudeman

Yes, you are right as usual.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 29, 2013 2:31 AM   in reply to RacingTog

What I was asking is, hoe do I disply the seconds, or even milliseconds, underneath the thumbnail in the content window, and the metadata tab.

You can't because it is not possible, thumbs can be set to show date created and date modified but this limits to hh:mm. Only the metadata panel offers the addition of the seconds (including date dd-mm-yy, hh:mm:ss) info in the Date Created field (you can set fields to show or not in Bridge prefs Metadata tab) under File Properties, IPTC Core (IPTC legacy calls it Date subject created) and Camera Data (exif) - here it is called Date Time original.

Milliseconds only show in the file info Raw Data tab (as per the 3th screenshot in post 2)

For my Canon EOS 1series it shows under xmp create date and a copy of this line looks like this:

<xmp:CreateDate>2013-08-28T11:58:49.36+02:00</xmp:CreateDate>

where the .36 shows the milliseconds and also the +02:00 GMT info is recorded.

Maybe someone in the Bridge Scripting forum has a solution for you showing this data in other fields (doubt it can be realized easy to show under thumbs) but you have to put a request yourself on this forum.

Or file a feature request for this in the Photoshop family forum but to be honest, almost no FR  has been realized the past 3 or 4 cycles. Don't let it stop you to file such a request, just be warned not to hold your breath for it...

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 31, 2013 4:43 PM   in reply to RacingTog

Could you first check the original Raw file?

It seems that exif info in Raw data differs very much according to OS system, camera (it should be capable of recording this data but I believe the dSLR form the last few years are doing so, my EOS 1Ds3 did already so as does my present 1Dx) and file type.

For instance my CR2 Canon raw files directly copied from card reader to system using drag and drop show a different order then my DNG files, which has logic because the same file is being converted and while using Adobe Photodownloader for this it also adds a copyright metadata template meaning a bunch of extra data.

However both show milliseconds. But, your example is a jpeg and I looked at a jpeg (resized and with a 'saved as' command from the original PSD file) it seems the XMP line from my earlier post did skip the milliseconds also.

But there is another line a bit further down called:

<photoshop:DateCreated>2013-08-29T15:34:24.091+02:00</photoshop:DateCr eated>

which is till showing the correct milliseconds but now added a zero in front of the milliseconds.

Could you try to find this in your file?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points