We recently upgraded from Tech Comm Suite 3.5 to 4.0 (with FrameMaker 11), in a Windows 7 environment.
We have had several instances--on different workstations with different people--of FrameMaker 11 crashing when people are trying to create a simple cross-reference.
In a typical situation, the person has successfully created one or two cross-references, and then FrameMaker completely and abruptly shuts down the next time the person tries to create one.
FrameMaker creates "recover" files when that happens.
Has anyone else seen this behavior, and do you know how to prevent it?
Thanks in advance!
I'm working with a member of Adobe TCS team to try and figure out what's causing this crash behaviour - so far we haven't narrowed it down yet. You can always tell it's about to happen when the xrefs panel doesn't fully screen out what's behind it - it looks like a graphics refresh is needed, but then it crashes. On a WinXP machine I get the FM crash message, followed by a Windows error message about the application addressing a section of memory that it seems to have an issue with. This extra message doesn't occur on a Win7 64bit machine.
Keep sending in your error logs.
I am really getting frustrated with this bug - the other issue is that FM doesn't ask you to send the crash file, so I don't know what to do with them.
I am running Win7 64-bit and this is happening four or five times a day now.
Update on this situation:
Adobe TCS Support had me move my project to my local c:\ drive to see if that had any impact on the error's occurence - so far it hasn't had any impact at all. I did manage to capture the error happening on a Captivate video that I've submitted to the tech rep, but I can't make it happen at will through any sequence of actions. It just seems to happen at random intervals when opening up the Cross-Refs panel to add an xref to another open document. I never seem to have more than 2 or 3 .fm docs open at once that I'm making links to, so it's not like I'm really stressing the system.
I imagine you've not suppressed alert messages, that all files open without missing resource dialogs, and that the files otherwise Update Book without any error logs, yes?
Seems odd, 'cause I haven't seen any behavior like that, and certainly the Fm11 book was xref'd to the hilt!
@matt - I'm just working at the doc level and don't have any books open when all this goes south.
I'm pretty sure I haven't turned off any alerts; I do normally run with the Console turned off (because I've got the SetPrint plugin & I don't need notification of that), but I'm trying it on now as an experiment to see if it has any impact. So far I haven't crashed with it turned on, but it's only been a day now. I'll report back if I can pinpoint something.
Just as a test, I did open the master book of books file and update it - no issues other than the expected busted links that I expected to find. Once they were fixed up, it all updated fine. So all clean that way at least.
Yep, I don't think it's whether the alerts or console are on/off, rather that having the alerts/console hidden tends to mask the real issue.
In my experience (and esp. with Fm linked to Rh projects) missing resources in an Fm project are the cause of the majority of crashes I hear about.
I know you know all this, so I'm repeating for the sake of others that find this thread!
Bottom line: Cleaning up shortcuts in fonts/graphics/xrefs solves a great many woes!
I start the working day by visiting the forum, as there's always something to learn whether or not I'm tracking a particular question. Reading through this one – in case the powers that be ever get me FM11 – I'm puzzled by one thing: what do you mean by "shortcuts in fonts/graphics/xrefs"? My apologies if I'm mising something thunderingly obvious :-}
Hi Niels, sorry for my brevity in the last post...
In my experience, an amazing amount of errors will resolve, if these things are corrected, rather than ignored or masked by setting your Fm preferences to suppress the alerts.
Update on the error situation - moving the docs local didn't have any effect, nor has running with the FM Console turned on (it doesn't reveal any issues prior to the crash anyway). The Adobe Tech Support team is concluding it's something in my docs themselves that is tripping up. They started life back as FM9 docs and have been upgraded since then. That might be an issue.
When I can find some time, I'm going to set up 2 or 3 fresh new FM11 dummy lorsum FM docs and start doing some xrefs between them to see if I can get it to crash again. If I can, then I'll submit them to the techs to take apart.
I can consistently reproduce this problem.
1. Choose Insert Cross Reference
2. Click in list of paragraphs
3. Press Pg Dn on the keyboard.
a. Don't know if it also crashes in list of x-references
b. My files are all converted (recently) from FM 7.0
c. Using 184.108.40.2060
Verified. I can get this to happen repeatedly in a new (or existing) file. It happens with either the PgUp or PgDn keys. The Home, End and arrow keys work OK.
You should file a bug report at:
BTW, your FM version needs to be patched. The latest is 220.127.116.114.