Skip navigation
Ed Conley
Currently Being Moderated

Can't fix I/O Error in Bridge?

Aug 12, 2013 5:00 PM

Tags: #error #i/o #building_gallery

Hi

I'm using Mac OSX 10.8.4 running Bridge CS6 5.0.2.4

All tips on forum re updates, patches, restart with option all tried.

AFAIK nothing in Bridge Forum pertaining to a consistent I/O Error I am getting when attempting to output either a PDF gallery or an html gallery from a small number of pdf files.

Ive tried adjusting file number, origin etc - in each case it looks like teh gallery is getting built but then all of a sudden you get a dialog box ith "I/O Error" = Stuck.

Ive uploaded a little movie at which shows the behaviour: http://is.gd/kupeca

Anyone on the Forum have any ideas on how to fix this?

Many Thanks,

Ed.

PS I do have an earlier version of Bridge (CS5.5) on my drive. Should I delete it?

PPS as mentioned have tried everything obvious.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 12, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to Ed Conley

Nice video showing problem.  Don't know much about PDF creation.

Do you have enough space on HD where you are saving file?

CS5.5 should not conflict with CS6, so would not uninstall it.

Did this work before on CS6?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 13, 2013 4:41 AM   in reply to Ed Conley

I'm using Mac OSX 10.8.4 running Bridge CS6 5.0.2.4

I tried to create a contact sheet out of multi paged PDF files on the same set up and have no problem in getting the expected result.

All tips on forum re updates, patches, restart with option all tried.

I'm sorry but that is not really helpful information, can you specify more?

AFAIK nothing in Bridge Forum pertaining to a consistent I/O Error I am getting when attempting to output either a PDF gallery or an html gallery from a small number of pdf files.

A I/O error is AFAIK more related to the system itself and it seems to affect Bridge Output Module.

PS I do have an earlier version of Bridge (CS5.5) on my drive. Should I delete it?

You should be able to have multiple versions on your system, Only Bridge has the restriction of 1 version at the time to be active (it wont let you open a second version), you should be able to have PSCS6 and PSCS5.5 open and active at the same time without problems.

PPS as mentioned have tried everything obvious.

As also mentioned, this is not enough info to go further on.

Please also provide more details about your computer, RAM, VRAM and free space left on start up disk. And is it a stand alone or do you use it over a network. Are you trying to create PDF from files on internal disk or external disk.

Have you all the admin privileges on all disks (read and write)

Did you do system maintenance like repair permissions?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 2:23 PM   in reply to Ed Conley

I have the same issue on my Bridge CC. It all started with blank output data modul, and and after some suggested workarounds I happily made the module work. BUT, no I'm stuck with I/O Error when finalizing both PDF and webgallery... Where's Adobe's support on this issue? How long shall we wait for this "beta" to work prooper?

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Aug 14, 2013 4:00 PM   in reply to Ed Conley

. I can't see how to do a re-install, other than a complete delete of whats in my Applications folder followed by another download from my Adobe account.

CAUTION, never delete applications like Adobe, you have to use the official uninstaller for this because there are lots and lots of settings, prefs and other all over you system that will stay there if you don't uninstall by the book.!!!

And then again, a normal uninstall and reinstall is not always curing all problems, still some prefs and settings are kept for use with new install so you don't need to set everything up again.

Bridge has no separate uninstaller because it is combined with PS. So first back up custom settings, actions and brushes etc. then deactivate PS. Be sure to export the keyword list if you have created one your self so you can import it again later.

Then uninstall PS (maybe also use Adobe cleaner tool, see next answer) and then install PS again to get Bridge CS6 also installed.

Is this the correct method for de-install/reinstall or should I use something like AppCleaner? ---> Just in case I have lost some critical files along the way, andobviously hoping it might fix it. Its very nice functionality and have many uses for both pdf and web galleries.

See above, and never use third party cleaners as a first go. Adobe has an official Cleaner tool which you could use as alternative, but first back up all important settings and files and read the instructions carefully!!

http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cscleanertool.html

Do I need to free up more HD space?

That might be a good idea because 10 to 15 % is the minimum required free space needed for the system and applications to  run correctly (unless you have an SSD). But to be honest, 15 % of 2 TB is a whole lot more then 15 % from 500 GB…

With todays cheap disk prices (SSD is also getting cheaper and cheaper) and the easy replacement you can do your self consider a bigger disk. Your VRAM is the minimum required (1 GB recommended to have all advanced graphics for PS working smoothly) and RAM is more then sufficient.

An other thing to try (after creating more free space) is a new user account just for testing and see if this works correctly for Bridge. If it does the problem lies in your user account itself. This would mean you could use the OSX recovery disk to fix.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Ed Conley

Can somebody help me out here? I can't get the I/O-Error fixed (see video). I've even done a complete uninstall of the whole CC, and before reinstalling I've optimized for file permissions and all other smart moves to have a healthy OSX 10.8.4 on an late 2009 iMac 27"/i7/16GB/1TB. I do have the same issue on my brand new MBPro early 2013, so I do not believe this is an config issue.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to StigDesign

Exact same problem here, trying to create PDF contact sheet, files on a networked drive. Luckily I still have CS6 installed, works fine. Not sure why they removed it for CC, they must have broken something...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 8:08 PM   in reply to Ed Conley

Have been having similar issues here, my workplace has recently upgraded from 5.5 to CC and we've just begun installing the software on our iMacs. However we've found we're having these same issues with Bridge.

We installed CC and the apps we require. After installing Bridge, we also did the manual install for the Output Module and the panel no longer shows up blank, however when we try to save a PDF using the Output Module, we receive this same I/O Error. We've tried everything logical and cannot seem to find a fix.

Error 3.jpg

Additionally, on one machine we also receive the following two errors (in the order shown) when bridge starts up. This particular machine is a brand new iMac 2.9GHz Intel Core i5 running OS X v 10.8.3

Error 1.jpg

Error 2.jpg

The only way we've found to remove these errors is to disable the startup script for output module under preferences. However, this disables the module altogether so it's not a good solution for us.

If anyone has any ideas on how to fix these that would be great. It's really frustrating and hopefully Adobe will have this sorted out soon.

Thanks in advance and I hope we can all find a solution soon

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 10:27 PM   in reply to navitas_bens

I've got the same issue. I installed the Output files, it worked for a day and then nothing but the error. There's a screen that appears for a brief second before the I/O error appears. It says "Generating PDF ..." and there is a progress bar that gets about a quarter of the way across that says "Prepare PDF ..." then bang I/O Error.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 4:05 PM   in reply to Tony Redhead

I have the same issue.

After trying to make image PDFs for clients using other apps I realized that Adobe now offers it for Phtoshop CC.

I downloaded the file and carefully followed all the instructions. Restarted my new iMac, opened Bridge, etc. It looked good, just like the CS5 dialog screen. Then:

Screen Shot 2013-08-30 at 3.54.43 PM.png

I hope Adobe lets us know when this is fixed.

It seems impossible that there are any conflicts. I only downloaded the OS and installed it a couple of weeks ago. CC was installed last week. There are no old Snow Leopard apps installed.

27" iMac, OS X 10.8.4, 3.4 GHz, 32 GB., 1TB (887 GB available).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 12:40 AM   in reply to Ed Conley

Did you install Creative Cloud client before you got this I/O error?

Please try to download the AOM package from https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw8hh3ac20r1jsa/AOM_Mac.zip  then replace the your current files in the folder "Bridge CC Extensions".

Please let me know If it can resolve your problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 11, 2013 2:10 PM   in reply to AlanZheng

it worked!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 21, 2013 3:01 AM   in reply to AlanZheng

It worked! Tnx!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2014 7:41 AM   in reply to AlanZheng

Alan - I am experiencing the same problem and have been searching for a long time for a fix. It appears your files are no longer available at:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rw8hh3ac20r1jsa/AOM_Mac.zip

Can you advise a fix, or where I can download that to try?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2014 3:19 PM   in reply to jesslouwagie

The article that discusses this problem and how to fix it, I believe, is here: http://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/install-output-module-bridge-cc.html

The file everyone's talking about is here: http://helpx.adobe.com/bridge/kb/install-output-module-bridge-cc/_jcr_ content/main-pars/download_1/file.res/AOM_Mac_New.zip

As a note of unsolicited advice to anyone reading this, while adding a file to a Dropbox and posting the link sounds like a good idea, removing the file creates a dead link -- and your post consequently offers a dead-end solution ("I have the answer! Just use this file! I've saved it in my cloud storage. The link is [dead].")
    Please consider

1. linking to an actual, authoritative source (like Adobe itself), or
    2. planning on always keeping that file in your Dropbox for the rest of your account's natural life (e.g., until the sun implodes or the problem has been resolved by Adobe).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points