Skip navigation
kurtkolaja
Currently Being Moderated

How do you export an OMF from Premiere Pro?

Aug 14, 2013 2:03 PM

The company can not rise to the occasion.

[Edit by Kevin Monahan: user is having trouble exporting an OMF file from Premiere Pro. See possible solutions in the post below.]

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 12, 2013 7:33 PM   in reply to kurtkolaja

I will bite.

Tell us more.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 8:06 PM   in reply to kurtkolaja

Explain your issue in detail, here  in this forum. (uswer to user)

Some one maybe able to help.

FWIW: I have not had any issues with OMFs and Protools workflows.

I advise you start a new thread for this...with a relevant topic heading

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 8:09 PM   in reply to kurtkolaja

Mostly other users here, with sometimes an employee... as another user, all I can say is that you need to send a message directly to Adobe telling them what you want

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 8:16 PM   in reply to kurtkolaja

You think .."why is Adobe involved in video " is a relevant topic that tell us anything?

koala-bear-small-97940.jpg

You here to rant or do you want help?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 8:32 PM   in reply to kurtkolaja

DELETED

Copied into this guys other thread!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 8:46 PM   in reply to kurtkolaja

Adobe is a company. I dont think it stalls "everytime during an aff export"

I am sorry mate.I dont think I can offer you any help but you have convinced me it is OE.

See ya.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 9:17 PM   in reply to kurtkolaja

How would we know.  You tell us nothing about anything.

You decided I needed to answer the questions !

You cant even post in one relevant thread!

Interesting that others can do what you are trying to do ...and you cant.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 12, 2013 10:00 PM   in reply to kurtkolaja

Are you here to have a vent and a lash out (which is fine - we've all been there) or help others help you solve your problem? Because so far it's looking like the former.

Shooternz is tyring to extract some information from you to help define what the problem is and narrow down a cause. What export settings are you using? What is the source material? What program is it heading to (Protools, Audition, etc)? Is the problem that some tracks are out of sync, or missing completely? Does it do it on other projects or just this one? Is there a workaround to supply individual tracks while you're troubleshooting this?

I just did a test on a current project and the OMF translated fine so this isn't a 'feature' of Premiere, it's a bug you're experiencing. Which is understandably irritating.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to PaulM-Aus

Hi,

Sorry that kurtkolaja had a bad experience here. Perhaps I can provide some helpful info.

• OMF is a standard format for ProTools users, so audio tracks that were invented after OMF was created might not work well. Because of this, it is recommended to use mono or stereo tracks only.
    • Adaptive or standard tracks might cause the OMF problems.
    • Flatten nested and multicamera sequences prior to export.

Other things you can try is to send your sequence to Audition and export the OMF from there. OMF exports from Audition are very reliable, so try that first next time.

Best,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 5:40 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Kevin, I am another user who has had similar problems.  I am happy to see your answer, but I would like to take it a step further.  I am using Premiere Pro CS5, and when this version came out there was only Soundbooth included, which is no help in this matter.  So now I am considering purchasing Audtion, but before I spring the cash for it can you tell me if I can send sequences from CS5 to Audition in the manner you describe?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 6:40 PM   in reply to cottage.court.dude

That feature would need a newer version of PP.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 7:14 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

So you are saying I cannot send a Premiere CS5 project to Audition.  I have tried everything else I can think of.  Does this mean I have a full-length feature sitting in my Premiere program that I cannot do finished sound on? 

I have to get omf files to my sound guy but I am running out of workaround ideas. He is working in Nuendo, and when he imports the omf's I send only a few files seem to work.  Some regions are grayed out.  Some files come over multiplied, occupying several tracks, when the originals were only single tracks. Yet other files are coming over that don't even belong in the particular sequence I send him!

I can't believe the only advice you can give me is that I have to upgrade to a new version of Premiere Pro.  Whatever happened to backwards compatability?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 7:26 PM   in reply to cottage.court.dude

Why not just write it out the old school way - solo tracks individually? I'm sure we all have to do that from time to time when working with sound designers on quirky software. Do you need the handles?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 7:45 PM   in reply to PaulM-Aus

Yeah, we kind of did want the handles. 

Basically you are asking me to send my sound guy and me back to video kindergarten, which we can do, but it really urks me no end that I have spent the kind of bucks I have for the Creative Suite then have to go back to 1995 methods to get a feature done.  It's really leaving a sour taste in my mouth. 

I am still holding out hope that someone has more productive advice to offer.

That said, and speaking as a long time Adobe fanatic, I am for the first time thinking seriously that it may be time to leave the fold. 

And that is something I never thought I would say.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 7:58 PM   in reply to cottage.court.dude

Can you post a small OMF here? I'm sure someone here would be happy to check it.

Alternatively download a trial of PP and Audition CC and use the process Kevin detailed above. You've got 30 days of trial.

(And if the process solves your problem AND you like what you see consider subscribing to the CC of course..)

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 8:00 PM   in reply to PaulM-Aus

Okay, how's this for a workaround idea?  If I sign up for Premiere Pro CC and Audition CC for a month, an import my project into that, will I have any better chance of getting my omf's exported?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 8:01 PM   in reply to PaulM-Aus

Wow, great minds think alike.  thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 8:06 PM   in reply to PaulM-Aus

Shot down again.  Apparently my Mac OS is one version too old for Premiere. Adobe won't support it.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 8:10 PM   in reply to cottage.court.dude

Can you use a Protools Suite to check the file or do the task?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 10, 2013 8:27 PM   in reply to shooternz

Don't have access to protools, I'm afraid.

My thanks to everybody trying to help. 

I think my next move is to upgrade to Mac Mountain Lion OS X.  From the feedback I am hearing online I might be letting myself in for a hard time there, but I am going to try it.  Then I will proceed with Paul and Kevin's advice and cross my fingers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points