Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why won't any documents show up when I do a search in InDesign?

Aug 13, 2013 3:52 PM

Tags: #search #indesign

Every time I do a search to open a document in InDesign, NOTHING shows up!

I have to go back to my desktop and open the document from my finder.

How can I get InDesign to complete my search request if nothing shows up in the list when I do a search?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to sausanacademy@gmail.com

If you mean the Search field in the InDesign Open dialog, that function comes from your operating system.

What version of InDesign? What operating system?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 9:10 PM   in reply to sausanacademy@gmail.com

I think it's something about your operating system, not InDesign. Here I'm using my copy of InDesign, using the same version of Mac OS X 10.8.4 as you, and the Search feature in the Open dialog works fine:

Search.jpg

But, just to be sure, try restoring InDesign preferences to see if that might be interfering. Here's how:

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 4:05 AM   in reply to sausanacademy@gmail.com

You probably know that, but keep an eye at the labels that determine the scope of the search. In Peter's screenshot, in the top left corner, below the "Lalita" disk, you see a line containing "Search:", "This Mac",  and "Desktop". The "This Mac" label is selected, so the search is being performed in the whole system. If Peter had chosen "Desktop", only his desktop and the folders inside it would have been searched. Maybe your searches are returning nothing because you're searching only the document's current folder instead of the whole disk or your home directory.

Another possibility is that your Mac is not indexing the files. Open  System Preferences -> Spotlight and take a look at the "Search Results" tab; maybe "Documents" is disabled. Also check the "Privacy" tab: if you include a disk or directory in the list, none of its contents will be indexed by the system, which prevents them to appear in search queries.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 5:26 AM   in reply to JoaoCP

@Joao,

This is the second time in two days that what I wrote gets attributed to Peter. I know he was pretty omnipresent here but....

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 5:36 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

LOL ! A thousand apologies, Steve.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to JoaoCP

No problem. It's just amusing. ;-)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 7:04 PM   in reply to sausanacademy@gmail.com

Earlier I suggested that you test searching in Microsoft Word or another program to separate out whether the problem was in InDesign or in your system. Did you try that?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 7:25 AM   in reply to Steve Werner

Any solution found yet?

I, too, am experiencing the same issue ONLY with Indesign. I've done test searches in Word and other apps.

The first screen shot shows the window contents when I first launch "Open a File" out of Indesign (showing files on the Desktop - NOTE 3rd file name containing "Call Log") ...

The second screen shot shows a search for a file containing "Call Log" -- no results returned.
    Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 10.19.09 AM.png

Screen Shot 2014-02-04 at 10.18.25 AM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2014 9:17 AM   in reply to XPress Marketing

I have the same issue as XPress Marketing.

Running OS 10.7.5 and InDesign CS6 ver. 8.02

I have contacted Adobe and they had me run software update and update my InDesign to 8.0.2, relaunched InDesign to do a search: didn't work. Then we created a new USER and tried to do a search with InDesign there: It worked. So then we went back to my account an opened Indesign and deleted InDesign Permissions: didn't work. So they deemed that it was OSX permissions. I have run disk utility and repaired what came up: Still didn't work.

At a loss still....

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 5, 2014 11:40 AM   in reply to ipdstudios

Somewhat comforting to know that I'm not alone in this.

I'll post an update or solution when I have either.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points