Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

GTX 670 on Mac OSX

Aug 13, 2013 5:22 PM

I'm on an 8 core Mac Pro with a  GTX 670, Adobe CC.  Raytrace is so slow I hate to use it.  interactions are nothing short of pathetic.  Even bad at 1/4 resolution.  I thought maybe it was b/c I have 2 27" cinema displays and it is just too many pixels --- but maybe I'm wrong.  Maybe it just sucks? 

I have latest Cuda drivers and all that.  If you guys know of something I can do to improve the performance - please share!

Branched from an earlier discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 13, 2013 5:23 PM   in reply to raytracefailedtolaunch

The GTX 670 is not lsted as a card that After Effects will use for GPU acceleration of the ray-traced 3D renderer:

http://www.adobe.com/products/aftereffects/tech-specs.html

Your poor performance is because rendering is being done on the CPU.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 13, 2013 10:03 PM   in reply to raytracefailedtolaunch

Because the GTX670 is not specifically supported by After Effects, you will get terrible results from the ray trace renderer - virtually unusable render speeds.  You can submit a request to Adobe to provide support for the card, but they will only action that request if they get enough requests for that specific card from users.

You mention the ray trace render feature in your first post, but Cinema 4D integration in your later post.  What kind of render performance are you getting using the Maxon Cineware plugin?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 6:49 PM   in reply to raytracefailedtolaunch

Is it a mac Pro 1,1?

Also I don't see a shader model listed.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 7:53 PM   in reply to raytracefailedtolaunch

You should use a card that is on the list of those that has been tested and found to work.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 8:38 PM   in reply to raytracefailedtolaunch

I was reading on another site to do a cuda update through the cuda control

panel. I know for a fact that card works great in ae cc. We have to get

that shader model figured out. I'll help more tomorrow

On Aug 14, 2013 10:46 PM, "raytracefailedtolaunch" <forums_noreply@adobe.com

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 3:20 AM   in reply to raytracefailedtolaunch

I feel you pain. After ther first clip I render out through media encoder took 4hrs for a 15 sec clip. I decided to do it through premiere and was rewarded with this surprise. It ended up taking around the same time, but my heart sunk when i saw this. That is the last time i use 3d in AE until this is fixed.

http://i.imgur.com/DK6MTlD.png

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 4:07 PM   in reply to TioBug

I noticed my GPU wasn't being used for ray trace. I did a bit of research and found a setting i needed to change.

http://i.imgur.com/JbJmBqk.png

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)