Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Crop Tool Won't Constrain Aspect Ratio in LR 4.4

Aug 13, 2013 8:54 PM

Tags: #problem #mac #aspect_ratio #lightroom4 #crop_tool #cropping_tool

This is a sudden change of behavior in Lightroom 4.4, Mac OS 10.7.5.

In the past, when I chose the crop tool, with the locked icon in the locked position, when I adjusted the crop, the crop was constrained to the original aspect ratio of the photo. Now, no matter what I do, the crop is kind of "partly" constrained.  That is, I start with a vertical image, then drag the crop down so that the crop rectangle has a horizontal aspect ratio, I can drag up on the horizontal crop rectangle so that the original aspect ratio is no longer preserved.  Until the aspect ratio has gone horizontal, the original aspect ratio is preserved.  It doesn't matter if the lock is locked or unlocked, or whether I hold the shift key or not.

Here's an example:

Screen Shot 2013-08-13 at 8.27.58 PM.jpgat this point, the crop is still vertical, with aspect ratio constrained. It's still "as shot" and the padlock icon is locked

Screen Shot 2013-08-13 at 8.28.47 PM.jpgHere, the crop is now horizontal, but the aspect ratio is still constrained, "as shot" and still the icon is locked.

Screen Shot 2013-08-13 at 8.35.04 PM.jpgNow, things have gotten wonky.  When the right edge of the crop hits the edge of the photo, it's possible to drag it upwards.  The aspect ration is no longer constrained, and even though the padlock icon is locked the aspect is now "Custom"

As I said, this is new behavior which I have never seen since the version of Lightroom included the crop tool (I started at Lightroom 1.0).  Like they all say "I haven't changed anything", but something  obviously has changed.  I don't believe this is correct behavior, or the behavior I've been used to for years.  Is there any way to think this is the correct behavior?

I noticed it sometimes happens on some (most) photos, but not all, and will seemingly randomly start/stop working properly on photos that weren't/were working just minutes before.

Does anyone have any insight into this?  It'd be nice if there was something I could do to make things work again (at least by my definition! ) It's become very frustrating.

Thanks!

-Eric

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 15, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to erflink

Frustrating isn't the word.

I reported this through a previous post (much the same as you are experiencing).

crop not keeping to ratio

It was ok in LR3 and is ok in LR5 (I think)

so they have fixed the bug, but where does that leave the LR4.4 users ??

Upgrade to LR5 ?

Surely there should be a LR4.4 bug fix that can be downloaded instead of yet another purchase to upgrade.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 8:01 AM   in reply to erflink

erflink wrote:

This seems to be fixed in Lightroom 5... at least someone noticed it to fix it!

Nope; my MacPro 5,1 running LR v5.2 on 10.8.5 shows this behavior; my MacBookPro running the same does not. I never saw this behavior in any previous version of LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 8:17 AM   in reply to Jeff_Warner

This must be an issue with the Mac. I just tried it on my Windows 7 computer, and the aspect ratio is retained as expected.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 6:21 PM   in reply to erflink

Well excuse me! I was simply commenting that I wasn't seeing the problem on my computer. I didn't mean to suggest that you weren't having the problem. I'll make sure to not bother you again.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2013 6:46 PM   in reply to erflink

Okay, I just tried it on another Windows computer. The crop ratio holds just as I stated. I'm not saying others don't have the problem. But it seems, at least from my experience, that it is an intermittent one.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points