Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is it possible to merge folders in the library?

Aug 14, 2013 12:46 PM

Tags: #organization #lr5

Hi,

In LR5 is there any way to merge multiple subfolders? For example, in my 2012 folder, I have lots of subfolders that were created when I imported my photos and organized them by date.

But now that 2012 is over I don't need that granularity anymore and I want to consolited multiple folders into one folder.

I tried selecting a group of folders and right clicking but I haven't found any option for merging folder.

Thanks for your help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 14, 2013 1:00 PM   in reply to globalwander

you'll have to either drag and drop the images from within Lightroom, or you can do the same thing on the desktop (which will be faster) and then just sync the top level folder within Lr once you're done.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to globalwander

There is no option for consolidating folders into one.  Why would you want to would be my question, but since you think you do, then you can drag-and-drop a group of selected photos to a new folder if you want and repeat this for each subfolder.

You can also just turn on View Photos in Subfolders option to see all of the photos in one grid or thumbnail strip without physically moving them around.

It might also work to turn on viewing of photos in subfolders and then highlighting all of them and dragging and dropping them into the consolidation folder.  I haven’t tried this, nor do I intend to, though.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to eartho

Or, another solution, that "granularity" isn't hurting anything, just leave the folders where they are. You can still have Lightroom show all your 2012 photos regardless of folders, if that's what you want. So leave the folders alone. Its less work.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to eartho

Will moving the photos in Explorer and then Resyncing do a Remove/Import (which would be bad because it’d lose all the edits) or would it do a Find-Missing-Photos (which would be ok) for each one?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 1:19 PM   in reply to ssprengel

as long as you've saved all the xmp, you shouldn't have any issues with losing edits.

i just did a quick test and it worked fine, but it's a little scary looking since the window asks you if you want to remove missing images.

i think the best way might just be to do it in Lr.

- select the top level folder so that you see all 2012's images, then just select all of them and move them to whichever folder you want. It's a little slow if you have thousands, but it gets the job done.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 1:36 PM   in reply to eartho

as long as you've saved all the xmp, you shouldn't have any issues with losing edits.

Kind of dangerous to leave this out of your original post, don't you think?

What about collection membership and pick flags and virtual copies and stacks and all the other things that are not saved in XMP? All of those things are lost via the synchronization method; but not lost via the drag and drop method; and not lost via the dj_paige "leave everything where it is" method.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 14, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to dj_paige

yeah, you're right... just went through and tested all those scenarios... what a mess!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points