Skip navigation
SamBatman
Currently Being Moderated

What can be done if I cannot import an unsupported file type

Aug 16, 2013 8:22 PM

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the file type from PowerdDVD.exe to something I can import into PE11.  I have about 40 dvd's that I want to edit and make a new condensed version but can not import.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 16, 2013 9:10 PM   in reply to SamBatman

I am not sure what you are asking here.

CyberLink's PowerDVD.exe is the actual program file.

What is the format of the actual media files, that you wish to Import?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 16, 2013 9:14 PM   in reply to SamBatman

Sam Batman

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 11 running on?

Just what are the properties of this file that you want to import into Premiere Elements 11 and you think you cannot?

If you do not know, please get a properties readout from a free program such as MediaInfo.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

You wrote

I have about 40 dvd's that I want to edit and make a new condensed version but can not import.

If you are saying that you have a bunch of DVD discs with DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen format on them, I see no reason why you cannot rip the VOBs from them in Premiere Elements 11, edit the VOBs there, and burn to disc or export to a file saved to the hard drive there.

Are you aware of the Premiere Elements Add Media/DVD camera or computer drive/Video Importer used in conjunction of the disc in the DVD burner drive tray?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to SamBatman

Help-and-Tutorials http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830

Read Bill Hunt on editing a VOB/MPG file http://forums.adobe.com/thread/464549

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to SamBatman

SamBatman

Thanks for the follow up.

There are lots of online links to explore for help navigating the Premiere Elements learning curve.

I find that the Premiere Elements Help PDF is the best initial approach. It is comprehensive and a good source. And, free. If you decide that you want to supplement any of that information with books, I would suggest that you seek those that go to your version. Principles stay the same from version to version, but features do not, often changing, relocating, or disappearing.

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

If you are into using the Elements Organizer which comes with the program, then also

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/elements-organizer_reference.pdf

But to the immediate issue of what you have on that DVD disc and how to get its contents into Premiere Elements 11 workspace for editing. We need to determine if you have content in DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen format. If you do, then my suggestion of

1. disc in DVD burner tray

2. Add Media/DVD camera or compuer drive

would be applicable.

Your screenshot suggests that you have file or files in .ico format. That is not DVD-VIDEO format. So just to be sure, please place one of your DVD disc in the DVD burner tray, go to Computer, and explore the DVD drive. Do you see at least two folders, at least one being named VIDEO_TS?

I am wondering if I assumed too much when I saw the DVD in your question. So, let me back up and ask for confirmation on

a. What is this "PowerdDVD.exe" representing? Was it the CyberLink PowerDVD software?

and, if so,

b. What was the export from that program, the import exported in DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen format or something else.

c. Until proven otherwise, I do not see CyberLink PowerDVD exporting a file with an .ico file extension. Did someone convert the original files from PowerDVD in transferring them to the DVD disc that you presently have?

2. By any chance is your PowerDVD software referring to this king of software instead, as per this link

http://powerdvd1.software.informer.com/download-powerdvd-icon-ico/

suggesting maybe you are dealing with "icons files" and not video files?

Please review and then we can decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to SamBatman

SamBatman

I have been doing some homework on .ico, if that is what you have.

I do not see that .ico on the supported import formats list, but I read that it is essential a .bmp type.

If that is the case

a. See if the .ico imports. If it does not, try renaming the file extension .ico to .bmp.

or

b. Go for the conversion of the .ico to .png. There are numerous ones to be found online. The one that

caught my attention was the free IrFanView.

http://www.irfanview.com/main_what_is_engl.htm

After conversion from .ico to .png, you could use Add Media/Files and Folder/ to get the files into Project Assets from where you

drag the files to the Expert workspace Timeline.

Please review.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Usually (as per your last link), an .ICO file is an "icon" image file, to be used in say a Shortcut, to appear on the Desktop of a PC.

I have the OEM version of CyberLink's PowerDVD (came with my multi-drive), and there is an .EXE file for it. This PowerDVD program is a good DVD software player. I have the commercial version on the workstation (though an older version), but I do not believe that even it can output to any form of file (never had to need to check). I will look into that version, to see what it is capable of. If it CAN output, say from a VIDEO_TS folder loaded into it, I would anticipate that the resulting file might be an .ISO (archived version of the VIDEO_TS folder and its files), but not .ICO.

More when I fire up the workstation later today. I'll try to post my findings, though I do not think they will impact the OP (Original Poster) here, as I believe that others have furnished the methods for Importing from a DVD-Video, if that is what they have.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 9:34 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

I think that you will find that CyberLink PowerDVD OEM or commercial version is just a player...unless it has jumped class to a VLC which now offers play back of a variety of formats as well as conversion feature.

As for .iso image playback with PowerDVD, I suspect that you can do that by first mounting the .iso image in a virtual burner drive for playback in the PowerDVD recent. Not sure if older versions of PowerDVD supported that.

We can talk about exports when we look at the CyberLink PowerDirector.

Definitely need details sorted out...icons (.ico) versus video. The odds are tilting toward icon because

a. .ico file extension

and

b. the existance of a powerdvd icon .ico software which probably works for a file whose name might be

powerdvd.exe.

We await further details from SamBatman.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 6:49 PM   in reply to SamBatman

Sam Batman

Thanks for the follow up. It sounds like you have sorted through your Premiere Elements issue and are moving forward.

But, If you have time, out of curisoity, did have .ico files and were you able to import them into Premiere Elements as .ico files?

If you do have .ico files, I have read they are essentially .bmp files. So, if you did import .ico as .ico into Premiere Elements successfully it would be helpful information for all, especially since I do not see .ico on the Premiere Elements Supported Import Formats list.

Thanks.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to SamBatman

SamBatman

Thanks again for the follow up.

As described, I am not familiar with the source that you describe and its usage. But, I will do some homework

on this.

But, very pleased with your success in moving forward with your projects.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points