Skip navigation
scyllabub
Currently Being Moderated

Why does PE not find AVI codec?

Aug 17, 2013 4:24 PM

I have just installed the trial of Premiere Elements, hoping that it will be more accurate and powerful than the free video editor I currently use.  To my dismay it cannot display the avi video recording (screen capture) that my free editor has no problem with, it plays sound only.

I've read about the chewing gum and am completely gunged up with it.  I must have the right codecs installed because my current video editor has no problem and I can play the files in any number of media players.

Do I have to convert every avi file before asking PE to handle it?  I "work" against the clock, all I want is an effective cutter and joiner with fade transitions.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to scyllabub

AVI is not a CODEC. It is a format. It can contain many different CODEC's, and hence the confusion by many.

What is the actual CODEC used by your video screen-capture program? That is what will be important.

See this article for more info on AVI (and other) files: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

There are some links to utilities, that can peek inside the AVI wrapper. If you give us that info, someone can direct you.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 4:53 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

This article has some links to various threads, and articles, on some popular video screen-cap programs, and how to handle their output: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2324919#2324919

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 5:35 PM   in reply to scyllabub

scyllabub

Besides the video and audio compression for your video file with the .avi file extension, what program are you using to get this screen captured video?

And, what choices does that program give for capture and export other than this .avi file?

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to scyllabub

Please open your AVI file in a program like G Spot or Media Info (free downloads) and post the resolution, frame rate and audio and video codecs the program lists for the file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 7:03 AM   in reply to scyllabub

scyllabub

Thanks for the follow up. Your screenshot was very help and describes what you have as:

AVCHD (MPEG4 AVC/H.264) video compression (classed as AVCHD-LITE because frame size does not represent 1920 x 1080 display).

MP3 (MPEG 1 Layer 3) audio compression

and those wrapped with the .avi format

All that is characterized by the frame size 600 x 380 (square pixels).

All that being said...

Try the .mp4 choice even with the AVCHD codec (alternatively .mov). But, install QuickTime (latest version).

My fuzzy recollection is that AVCHD.avi  is a problem for Premiere Elements.  As for QuickTime, it is a Premiere Elements requirement. So, it will do more than just allow you to work with this specific project.

But, what you could try with what you have (AVCHD.avi) is to rename just the file extension of the file

.avi to .m2t

or

.avi to .mts

or

.avi to .m2ts

or

.avi to .mov

or

.avi to .mp4

But do install the latest version of QuickTime.

You have what I consider an atypical video (atypical in what Premiere Elements offers in the way of project presets, looks more like 16:9 than anything else. Where are you going export wise with this footage. Consider:

1. Setting Premiere Elements 11 project preset manually (assuming that is what you have)

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD-LITE

720p30

To set project preset manually,

File Menu/New/Project

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD-LITE

720p30

Make sure to put a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project" before you exit the new project dialog.

Then, import your file via Add Media/Files and Folders/ and into Project Assets from where you drag your file to Expert workspace Timeline.

A major goal in setting this project preset is to direct the project to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes.

More later.

Please do not hesitate to ask for clarification on anything that I have written.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 9:42 AM   in reply to scyllabub

scyllabub

Sounds like progress.

Can I assume that you were able to import and use your AVCHD.mp4 after you downloaded and installed the QuickTime (latest version).

So far I do not think you mentioned the version of Premiere Elements that you are using. I mention this especially since AVCHD is not supported by Premiere Elements until Premiere Elements 7. So, if you had had version 4, that could have been a factor.

Some thoughts

1. Project Preset should match properties of source media so that the program is directed by that to present the correct space in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes.

2. Scaling of Timeline content to fit the space in the Edit Mode Monitor is possible

a. Motion Panel/Scale property

or

b. Clicking on monitor to get image's bounding box and dragging on handles of the bounding box

When I purchased my first Elements product, my first thoughts included "What have you gotten yourself into?" The learning curve gets easier and easier to navigate when you start with exploration, experimentation, and asking a lot of questions on things that seem to defy navigating.

We look forward to your progress. You will do well.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 3:53 PM   in reply to scyllabub

scyllabub

Please consider use life preservers in your immersion process if and when you need us.

I agree distractions make the learning curve ever that much more slippery.

Best wishes and looking forward to learning of your progress when you have the time.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points