Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Is there a way to display the name of the title?

Aug 17, 2013 4:06 PM

For example, like using %title% in the titler to extract the name of the title?

thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2013 4:17 PM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

If you hover the mouse over the title in the timeline, you get a tooltip with the name of the title. I don't know of any way to put the text of the title on the title itself automatically.

Perhaps if you explained the purpose of doing that we could offer a different solution?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 5:12 PM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

So, can you not just name (rename) your title with the date?

If you want to name your title with the text inside, one way to do this (CS5) is to open the title, copy the text, exit the title then paste the text in the title name. But, the name may run out of the title box if text is long.

Not sure this is what your looking for.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

Name your title with the intended text before you open it.

You could type out the text in a word processor program, and copy and paste in title box and inside title. Would be beneficial if text is long to ensure identical text -- but this would be a two step process which you don't want.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 6:12 PM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

A title's name shows up everywhere you could possibly see it - bin, Source Monitor, sequence, Titler...where else did you want it to show that it isn't already?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 8:00 PM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

Howard Hoffman wrote:

I want the title name to show up in the sequence/timeline. ....

In CS5, the title name already shows up in the timeline, as Jim said. So does the content of the title.

If what you want is to be able to read the title content when it's on the timeline, you only need to enlarge vertically the video track the title is on. May as well place all your titles on the same video track to avoid having to enlarge too many tracks. Also, wouldn't need to rename your titles.

Again, not sure this is what you're looking for.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 8:10 PM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

Howard,

I get the strange feeling that you want to have the text in the title match the name of the title. You want it to show up in the exported movie as a title but you want to automatically have the title name match the text.

That is not possible. Not in one step.

As you can tell, none of us understand why the name of the title should match the text since you can see what the title says if you look at the timeline the right way to accomplish that. As far as I can tell, you are the very first person to even suggest such a thing.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 17, 2013 8:39 PM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

I would not have done that many titles with the Premiere Pro titler. I would have made one title in After Effects, just pasting in the text at each keyframe to change it. Much faster. See this example of what I am talking about.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

I have to copy each title, change the name, open the title and edit the text in it.

There is a simpler way right in PP using the Create New Title Based on Current Title feature.  Check that out in the Help file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 10:14 PM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

Real curious why you are doing this.

Able to say?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 9:06 AM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

Still hoping for an easier way to do this

See if you can turn on the date in the camera, so that it's part of the video.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

Hi Howard,

Are you using Premiere Pro CC? If so, you can use the Clip Name effect, if that's what you're looking for.

Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 10.07.22 AM.png

Thanks,

Kevin

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 7:03 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Holy Cow Kevin! Where did that come from?

I missed that one in the "New Stuff in CC" video. That's pretty cool. Especially on a Mac where file extensions are not always used. (Or has that changed while I haven't been watching also?)

The implentation is a little basic since it doesn't look like you get font choices or color choices, and the opacity only changes the opacity of the black background, not the text itself, but I'll bet that is exactly what Howard is looking for. Type the name of the title and the title becomes the name. Too cool.

Enough people actually asked for that? I can see where it would make collaboration a lot easier.And it is hardware accelerated to boot!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to Kevin Monahan

Dear Kevin.

Where Is Clip Name Effect ?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 8:40 PM   in reply to animationlife

Use the Search Box in the Effects Window for any effects you seek.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 9:27 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I'll bet that is exactly what Howard is looking for.

I don't see how...he's still going to need 365 individual titles.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 9:32 PM   in reply to shooternz

Dear shooternz.

I found It Under Video-Clip Name

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 9:50 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

..he's still going to need 365 individual titles.

Sure he is, but he only types it once. I could see the advantage if the title name didn't keep going back to Title 06, 07 and so on. If it had the last title name and you could just change the day instead of having to type in the whole date... But that would be dangerous for most people.

It seems like it would be easier to do it in the title, using the default title names. That way you only have to change the name of the month in the title twelve times, and only the date itself approximately 29 times more often.

But it seems to be what he asked for. But it is only in CC I think.

I have a better way, and I will tell him in my next post since I see he posted while I was typing this.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 9:57 PM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

I have an answer you might like Howard.

You could simply export one title to a PRTL file, then duplicate it using an Excel VB macro to change the name of the file based on a list in an excel file. You could type in a couple of dates, then just drag down to the 365th row and all of the dates would be there waiting for the macro to rename the file. Then, if you are really talented, you could find the appropriate text in the XML file and change it to match the name of the title, but without the PRTL extension.

That way the font and position and style would all be right and the effort would be in a file you could share with the world.

Hmmm. I might have to try that myself one of these days. Could come in handy. If you are more comfortable with Word than Excel, create the dates in Excel and paste them into a table in Word. Just be careful not to mess up the

Edit: Oh, and of course, you import the titles back into Premiere Pro.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 10:01 PM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

Stil keen (curious) to hear exactly why and what this is all about?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 10:50 PM   in reply to Howard Hoffman

The external title file is used for the title name. There is no trace of the title name in the XML as far as I can tell. The external name is the Clip Name used in CC as well.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points