Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Disaster created by backing up my laptop files into PSE 11

Aug 17, 2013 4:59 PM

Ok. I'm an idiot. Somehow, I managed to import regular files from my laptop (unrelated to photos) into the Folders section of PSE 11 Organizer. I can't explain exactly how I did it, but it started with a prompt about backing up my catalog files. I decided that I wanted to clean up my images saved on my laptop and from PSE, so I saved all photos to CD's and somewhere in that process, I did a save of all my laptop files. I'm sorry that I can't be fully more specific about how I did this. That being said, my question is this. If I go through every folder in the Organizer and delete that folder, will it affect its (assumed) place outside of the PSE software? Right now, it shows that I have 3500+ items that need to be backed up. Then I am prompted to reconnect missing files. In an effort to fix this, I deactivated my software and did a full reinstall. Still have the same issue. It seems to me that if I delete these extraneous files  this should fix my problem. Would this be correct?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 17, 2013 10:18 PM   in reply to TeresaHarrington0704

I'm not at all sure I follow your post, but if I do, you seem to be under a misapprehension about how PSE works. When you import photos already on your computer into the oroganizer, you are not making any extra copies of anything or moving anything. All the organizer does is make a database entry pointing to your photo where it already is. The one exception to this is if you use the "from iPhoto" command on a mac, in which case PSE does make copies of the images in the iphoto library.

It sounds to me like you have been mistakenly deleting your originals or thinking that organizer somehow put them someplace else. It doesn't.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 7:45 AM   in reply to TeresaHarrington0704

Hi,

Are trying to start a new catalog afresh?

Re-installing PSE will not touch the catalog.

If you want to start a new catalog, exit from elements (if running), hold down the shift key and then launch elements organizer again.

That should take you into the catalog manager where you can click on the New button an create a new catalog.

What operating system are you using?

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 7:58 AM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

You can also just go to File>Manage Catalogs to create a new catalog. No need to exit the organizer first.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 18, 2013 11:37 PM   in reply to TeresaHarrington0704

TeresaHarrington0704 wrote:

Hi, no I'm not trying to create a new catalog. I'm just wanting to delete data-type folders in E11 located within the Folders tree  that it is trying to find by prompting backing up and reconnecting.

The message for 'backing up' is a totally independent matter and has nothing to do with Elements trying to find something.

Have a look at the 'edit/preference' menu, file section. The 4th item should mean 'automatically show a message warning to backup files and catalog'. Uncheck that option.

Now, about 'missing' files. As explained earlier, PSE does not store the files themselves, only their path (location) on your drive. If you have moved, deleted or renamed files outside of the organizer, via the explorer/finder, the reference to the location is now wrong. The organizer shows them as missing. That info is especially useful when you want to backup : obviously, 'missing' files can't be found and backed up.

Why the suggestion to create a new catalog ? Because this will 'import', that is reference all your picture files in the catalog database. You can then work safely within the organizer, not only to back up (if you wish so) or to organize via tags, albums and categories. You can even move pictures or folder trees from the organizer. With a fresh catalog, you can even forget and delete the former one. This deletes the 'list' of files, not the files themselves. You can delete a catalog from the catalog manager option in the file menu.

With a new catalog, you can choose from which folders you can 'import', that is reference picture files. You can import from picture folders only. If by error you import audio files, that's not a big problem. The organizer lets you delete those entries from the list without deleting the real files on the drive.

A note about the 'folder views' on the left of the screen : the default one is the 'My folders' view, it shows all your 'referenced' picture files sorted by the last subfolder in which they are.

The other 'Folder' view, which you access by clicking on the litlle yellow icon on the right of the 'My folders' title, shows you all referenced pictures in the real folder tree just like in the explorer/finder.

With the 'Folder' view, you can see where your pictures are in the folder tree.

What is important to understand is that the 'Folder' view lets you move, delete or rename the folders themselves. The catalog is then updated without problem. But those folders can contain other types of files than media files. So, unless you know

for sure there are only picture files in them, don't change the folders or subfolders themselves ; instead, select the picture items you want to change in the browsing space and move them by drag and drop.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 6:38 AM   in reply to TeresaHarrington0704

Glad to help, Teresa. I am sure the present discussion can help many other beginners with the organizer.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points