Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I warp an arch into a rectangle?

Aug 19, 2013 10:24 AM

Tags: #illustrator #rectangle #warp #arc #envelope #distort

I have an arch-shaped illustration and want to morph/warp/distort/remap it to a rectangle.

The effect I'm after is the exact opposite of Envelope Distort > Arc.

I’d be grateful for suggestions, this has me stumped!

Philip

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 19, 2013 10:38 AM   in reply to philipking

Can you show some screenshots that explain what you want to do?

Also, which version of Illustrator are you using?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to philipking

I thought that this is the basic idea. But without knowing the original construction it would be just terrible speculation to provide a reasonable technique. It could be anything: A simple composition like your striped example or something very complex with many different kind of objects (vector art, raster art, text objects, gradient meshes etc …).

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 12:49 PM   in reply to philipking

Then I would forecast that there is no fully automatic way to do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 1:12 PM   in reply to philipking

I'm sorry to sound cryptic, but it is just a pragmatic position: As long as you cannot provide the original document (or at least some screenshots) it is rather hard to suggest anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to philipking

Have you tried putitng in a negative amount in the bend.

Screen Shot 2013-08-19 at 3.31.42 PM.png

Would be best if some used the live effect version of Effect >> warp >> Arc, to undo a warp or else you can experience somehting that looks like lens barrel distortion.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to philipking

There difference between the 2 warps , is one permanently changes the shape of your original, where the second is applied as an effect you can modify or remove in the appearance panel. If you use the effect rather than the object menu, you can set that back to zero or delete effect to unwarp.

Unelss you provide a file or an EXACT description with screenshots, hard to provide you any better feedback than we have.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 1:38 PM   in reply to philipking

You are correct about stating that both Envelope Distort warping and warp effects from the Effects menu are live and editable.

The crux of the matter is that you're looking for a "generalised method which can be applied to a number of artworks".

That is just not possible because – as already mentioned – there might be billions of different combinations.

Therefore a statement like "there’s nothing else I can provide will make it any clearer" is rather dubious.

Show what you actually have. Or accept that no one can provide a reasonable suggestion.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 1:20 AM   in reply to philipking

philipking wrote:

It’s exactly the same problem but in reverse.

it would be the exact same problem in reverse if illustrator had applied the distortion in the first place. but as far as illustrator is concerned, the arched object is the starting point, right? I'm leaning towards this:

Kurt Gold wrote:

Then I would forecast that there is no fully automatic way to do it.

consider 'wibble':

wibble.jpg

the second image is the live distortion, easily reversible. but if i expand it, illustrator no longer sees a distorted object, just a regular one. any distortion i apply to that is being applied as if its a rectangle. otherwise illustrator would be trying to make assumptions about what you want to end up with from any given shape, which would be pretty odd. i guess if there were a way of drawing your own mesh? i dunno.

edit: well you can define your own mesh of course but you're still warping from the wrong starting point

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points