Skip navigation
ramsparky060144
Currently Being Moderated

degraded picture when burning dvd

Aug 19, 2013 2:53 PM

Tags: #dvd #11 #pe #burn_video #lousy

When I complete a project including menus and burn to a dvd I find the picture quality is degraded.  I import avi, vob and wmv files into a project often from vhs or hi8 vhs tapes via a analog to digital converter.  The video looks fine but when it is burned I find the picture is not to clear and often there is ghosting or double images.  What causes this and how can I fix it?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 19, 2013 4:35 PM   in reply to ramsparky060144

ramsparky060144

What version of Premiere Elements do you have and on what computer operating system is it running?

Are all these files 720 x 480 4:3 or the PAL counterpart 720 x 576 4:3?

What did you or the project set as the project preset in the new project dialog?

Where are you viewing your end product DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc? Size screen, etc?

Let us start here.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 8:49 AM   in reply to ramsparky060144

The quality of your video can also be greatly influenced by the quality of the digitizer you used to convert your analog video to digital. Most lower-end converters, like the Dazzle unit, the Plextor DVD Maker and All-in-One cards, use non-standard codecs and are designed pretty much to work only with the software that comes with the unit.

You'll get the more standard DV codec -- and your quality will greatly improve in Premiere Elements -- if you use a DV bridge like the Grass Valley/Canopus AVDC to digitize your video, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431853?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 5:02 PM   in reply to ramsparky060144

Sparky

In your reply to the first question that was asked of you by me you wrote

Sparky:                          the more people I know, the more I love my dog

Was there more to that message that did not get through, like the answers to the questions that i asked? If so, please check with Forum Comments to report your problem in posting.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

SG has posted pointing to influences of your choice of digitization in his reply to your original post. Since you say that everything looks OK before the burn to DVD, I tend to think that there are probably more factors involved which are contributing to "not the best" results.

If you answer the questions asked, I will try to help.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 5:26 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I guess on what you mean by "it looks good" before you burn the DVD. Video players can often work with a larger range of codecs than video editors. So just because a video plays well on your computer, doesn't mean it's going to process well through a video editor.

So, again, I'd like to know what device you digitized your video with. Or at least open the video with G Spot or Media Info and post the resolution, frame rate and codec it lists.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 6:57 PM   in reply to ramsparky060144

ramsparky060144

Please do not overlook SG's last question (post 5) which he has apparently inadvertantly posted in reply to me instead of you. His post question was intended for your reply with the details that he requested.

He wrote the following for you

I guess on what you mean by "it looks good" before you burn the DVD. Video players can often work with a larger range of codecs than video editors. So just because a video plays well on your computer, doesn't mean it's going to process well through a video editor.

So, again, I'd like to know what device you digitized your video with. Or at least open the video with G Spot or Media Info and post the resolution, frame rate and codec it lists.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to ramsparky060144

ramsparky060144

Thank you for the update and your insights into your situation.

We will be watching for your progress and success with your projects.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 5:47 PM   in reply to ramsparky060144

Do you have a free PCI slot on your desktop's MoBo?

If so, then something like this might work for you, http://sewelldirect.com/2-Ports-PCI-Express-IEEE-1394A-Firewire-Card-. asp?gclid=COTMitXFtbkCFY9xQgodXxoA-g

I like multiple controller chips, one for each port, but that is only really necessary, if one has more than one IEEE-1394a device. If they do, when doing a Capture, they will likely not be able to plug in any other FW-400 device, unless there are separate controller chips on the card.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2013 6:22 PM   in reply to ramsparky060144

Sparky

The investment in the Canopus 110 and now the firewire port consideration are major considerations with no assurances that the technology will have any impact on what you seek in your end product. Can you return these devices if they do not work for you?

Could we recap for a moment....given that you have your footage on the Premiere Elements Timeline and it comes time for the Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc and you get your ghosting images in the play back of the DVD.

What does the playback look like with a computer player when the export is instead Publish+Share/Computer/AVI/DV NTSC Standard? I think that I would feel more comfortable knowing that information before moving further.

I have never used a firewire port so I do not have any first hand information to offer; you probably have the same type of general firewire knowledge that I have from a Google search.

We will be watching for your progress and be interested in knowing what that DV AVI standard file looks like with one of the computer players.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 10:54 AM   in reply to ramsparky060144

Roberta,

The one drawback to using the VHS to DVD route is that the files get compressed to MPEG-2, to go to the DVD-Video, and then, if you output to a finished DVD-Video, it gets compressed yet again, Sort of like a FAX of a FAX.

That is why so many people use an A-D bridge, like the Grass Valley/Canopus unit.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 6, 2013 11:59 AM   in reply to ramsparky060144

Roberta

Thanks for the update.

I think that you have made a good decision at this point. If it works as you expect from past experience, then great. If not, then there is more justification for alternative more expensive routes which will include making decision on device(s).

When you get a chance, please update us on your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 18, 2013 4:11 PM   in reply to ramsparky060144

Roberta

That was very great news. We are very pleased with your results and your talents that went into developing your successful workflow.

When you talked about your 1080p movie and adding menus, were you referring to creating a Blu-ray movie with menus. I am used to Premiere Elements where the only exports with menus are for DVD-VIDEO burn to DVD, AVCHD burn to DVD, Blu-ray Disc Format to Blu-ray, and, the one non disc means, web DVD which is in reality a flash file with menus.

Keep up the good work and success with your new projects and programs.

Best wishes,

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points