Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

RE: White Balance and Color Temperature

Aug 19, 2013 7:45 PM

Can we do the same kind of White Balancing, Like we have In Photoshop Camera Raw, In Premiere pro ?

Also, can we change the Color Temperature In Premiere Pro?

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 19, 2013 8:46 PM   in reply to animationlife

There are certain tools in the Color Correction FX that will assist you re - White Balance a clip.  Not exactly like dealing with Raw though which is entirel based on manipulating RAW Data.(bit by bit)

You can simulate a Color Temperature effect (shift) by using CC FX.

Dont think there is one that actually uses color temp as the unit though.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 9:23 PM   in reply to animationlife

The flexibility of RAW images is available in Premiere Pro, but only with RAW video.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2013 11:07 PM   in reply to animationlife

Photoshop CC has made Camera RAW available as a filter. That means it is easy to use it on video.

Can you do anything in Camera RAW to a video that you can't do the hard way with color correction and levels, etc, in Premiere Pro? No. Is it easier because you are used to the sliders? You bet!

This first frame is from a video I shot to test the codecs my camera can use. The trees are rather dark, because, well, I didn't care when I shot the video. I was concerned with the movement of the juggling toys.

But if I take it into Photoshop and use Camera RAW I can do very quickly what would take a lot longer, for me, in Premiere Pro. You will have to take my word for it that the color of the shirt in the corrected frame is more realistic. The Camera RAW settings were pretty much what I do to almost all of my photographs. Very slight adjustment to exposure, a little clarity, bring out the shadows, bring down the highlights that are too white and bring up the contrast.

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 6:29 AM   in reply to animationlife

Sorry, you missed a small, but vital, step.

Try this:

Make a copy of your clip and work on the copy.

Open Photoshop CC and then File/Open your video clip. I am using an all I-Frame video which should be easier to work with, but any video that Photoshop can work with should be OK.

In the layers panel you will see that it creates a Video Group.

Capture.PNG

Select the goup as shown above and then in the Filter menu select "Convert for SmartFilters".

Now apply the Camera RAW filter. What you do to one frame will apply to all of them.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 9:10 AM   in reply to animationlife

I thought Maybe there are some Plug-Ins for Premiere Pro that I can have some Advanced Techniques

The only time those become available in Premiere Pro is for RAW video files.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 4:51 PM   in reply to animationlife

RAW video is video shot and "captured" as raw data (just like still RAW)

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 5:54 PM   in reply to animationlife

Hmmm. I would have to give some thought to a workflow like that. It might call for a digital intermediate, meaning export from Premiere Pro, which causes a generational loss. But if it significantly improves the overall video, that might be worth it. It might be better to just make a copy of the original and give it a new name. Then adjust the entire video. Once for each set of frames that you will use.

If you really need Camera RAW for your video. You can do the same thing inside Premiere Pro, it just takes more knowledge of the tools.

By the way, your camera will not shoot RAW video, but there are cameras that will.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 9:23 PM   in reply to animationlife

Very few cameras shoot RAW video out of the box - RED, Arri, BlackMagic.  There is no DSLR that can do it for video, even though they probably all do it for stills.

Having said that, I understand some Canon models can be made to shoot RAW video with the latest Magic Lantern update, though I don't know how well such files would work in PP, as Adobe has no support for them.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points