Skip navigation
Chishan0318
Currently Being Moderated

Shatter effects

Aug 19, 2013 11:17 PM

Hey guys,

I wanna make a text effect like in the transformer title..

For this i thought about using the "SHATTER" effect..My problem is, shatter makes the particle into pieces and the pieces scatters away..

but I want that process opposite..I wanna use the scattered pieces first and then join it together as one  text like in the transformer..

Can any body help me please??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2013 3:14 AM   in reply to Chishan0318

Pre-compose and time-reverse the layer.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to Chishan0318

You can't get EXACTLY like the Transformers titles without using an actual 3d program, but I'm sure you can get closer than you think using Shatter. Could we see an example of what you've done so far so we can advise you on which direction to go? Shatter is a 3d effect, so I don't understand what you're saying is wrong with yours.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 9:43 AM   in reply to Chishan0318

Here's a tutorial on how to do this in C4D.

If you want to do something like this entirely inside AE you can only approach the look. If your graphics card supports ray-tracing you can set up a master comp with your text, extrude it, and then nest that comp inside a non ray-traced rendering comp and apply shatter.

If you do not have a cuda supported graphics card then you can stack a bunch of layers on top of each other in a pre-comp offsetting each by 1 pixel in Z with this simple expression:

[value0, value1, value2 + index]

Create a text layer, make it 3D and then add the expression above to the position property of your first text layer. Duplicate until you get the depth you want.

Nest the pre-comp in another comp and apply shatter.

Nest the shatter comp in another comp and then time reverse the layer.

I think I found a bug in Shatter in AE CC that prevents you from doing it entirely in shatter. I'll check that out and get back to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 6:15 AM   in reply to Chishan0318

If you're just a beginner with After Effects, this is not a project you want to be starting on. You really need a foundation in the basics first. If you do not get a solid start in the basics, you will be frustrated. Start here.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points