Skip navigation
DreamjobRotterdam
Currently Being Moderated

Leverage Browser caching?

Aug 20, 2013 12:57 AM

Tags: #html #browser #headers #http #caching #leverage

Hello,

I am working to improve my websites speed and Google indicates that I should leverage browser caching. How can I do this in DW? Or is this not possible with DW?

My company website is:

www.dreamjob.nl

Thanks in advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2013 4:19 AM   in reply to DreamjobRotterdam

It's not really a Dreamweaver task. It needs to be done on the web server. Google has an article on what can be done: https://developers.google.com/speed/docs/best-practices/caching.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 4:26 AM   in reply to David_Powers

David,

What's your take on this practice? I dump my browser cache daily and  sometimes more often, and most people I know do too, so leveraged caching would be useless in my case, wouldn't it?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 5:09 AM   in reply to Mike M

In your case, it would be useless. But I suspect that most people don't even know how to clear their browser cache, so optimizing what's cached and for how long would be of overall benefit, particularly if a site doesn't change very often.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 11:39 AM   in reply to DreamjobRotterdam

David pointed to a useful article but I would offer a few points:

Make sure your images are optimized for the web. Make them the size you need them on your page. If an image file is going to be a link to a larger image file (for more detail) consider loading the larger file only on request (when they click on the link) as opposed to loading a "squeezed" large version of the file. In Photoshop, press [command]-[shift]-[option]-S or [CTRL]-[SHIFT]-[ALT]-S to "Save for Web and other Devices." This will make your image be 72 DPI and allow you to resize the image optimized for display on a browser.

Always use a separate style sheet from your web page. If you can, set up a common style sheet for all pages on your site. If you are using jQuery or some large external JavaScript files, minify them. That reduces load times.

The things that browsers cache are separate style sheets, external JavaScript files and image files. Make sure that you do not add stuff on a page that is not needed (WordPress seems to be a bad practice here).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points