Skip navigation
AudreyRose2012
Currently Being Moderated

Variable Frame Rate

Aug 20, 2013 8:04 AM

Tags: #frame_rate #video_quality #premiere_elements_11

If I have clips that were recorded at different frame rates, say 24fps and 60fps, and I put them in the same video project, how does PE11 handle this? Will it cause issues or lower the quality?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to AudreyRose2012

Version 11 does a pretty good job of assimilating various formats in the same project. But you can improve how it works by right-clicking on the clips that vary from your project settings and selecting the Frame Blend option.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to AudreyRose2012

AudreyRose2012

Are you running Premiere Elements 11 on Windows? Is your program installed for NTSC or PAL?

Are both, 1920 x 1080 16:9 at 24 progressive frames per second or 60 progressive frames per second? Is it just the frame rate that is different?

How do you intend to export your Timeline...format, including frame size, frame rate, and progressive or interlaced?

The project preset will direct the program to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode Monitor for editing purposes.

I am assuming that you are not doing frame by frame editing.

The project preset and the export settings allow for only one frame rate. So, you will have to set your priorities on those

settings.

Assuming NTSC 1920 x 1080 1080p60 and 1080p24

a. Premiere Elements 11 is setup to set the project preset automatically based on the properties of the first drag to Expert workspace Timeline. So, if you Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets and drag the 1080p60 first to the Timeline, the program should set NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60 as the project preset. Your subsequent addition of the 1080p24 will not change that 1080p60 project preset. Conversely, if you drag the 1080p24 first to the Timeline, the program should set NTSC DSLR 1080p DSLR 1080p24 as the project preset. Your subsequent addition of the 1080p60 will not change that 1080p24 project preset. Be sure to check Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size to verify that the program has set the correct settings. If not, do a manual set of project preset, using File Menu/New/Project.

b. Render the Timeline. One or the other of those videos should be expected to have an orange line over it. More on that later.

c. Whereas your focus in project preset was essentially frame size and, if possible, frame rate, the export settings allow for customization under the Advanced Button of the presets selected in Publish+Share.

Please review and let me know if I have targeted your question. If not, please detail, and I will add further comments.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to AudreyRose2012

The best format for loading to Vimeo is under Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD. Under the drop-down list, you'll find a preset for Vimeo HD.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

Could you elaborate on the Premiere Elements 11 Frame Blend option and it turning up grayed out?

I do not use the feature, but, when I do, it is grayed out in Premiere Elements 11 (feature accessed from Clip Menu/Video Options or right clicking Timeline file and looking at Frame Blend in the pop up menu).

This was brought up to you in any earlier thread where you suggested to that user the switch to the Frame Blend option built into the Time Remapping feature

http://forums.adobe.com/message/5135240

Has the Frame Blend in Clip Menu and/or the right click pop up menu ever worked for you and, if so, under what conditions in Premiere Elements 11? I find that Frame Blend in Clip Menu and pop up works just fine in Premiere Elements 10 and 9.0/9.0.1. Have not tried the earlier versions of the program yet for this Frame Blend feature.

It will be interesting to determine if the Frame Blend built into Time Remapping has created a conflict in using Frame Blend from Clip Menu and or pop up.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 9:47 AM   in reply to AudreyRose2012

AudreyRose2012

Slow motion for your 1080p60 will be achieved in either of three ways in Expert workspace (project preset no part of this):

a. Interpret Footage. Frame Rate section of the Interpret Footage dialog. Right click file in Project Assets, select Interpret Footage, and, in Frame Rate section, dot Assume this frame rate, and type in your wanted frame rate)

b. Time Stretch. Set Duration for less than 100%. This will increase the length of the video and apply a slow motion effect.

c. Time Remapping.

http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-premiere-elements-11/time-remapping-wi th-adobe-premiere-elements-11/

Until proven otherwise, I would use the

NTSC AVCHD AVCHD 1080p60 project preset

and apply Interpret Footage to that video for which you want a slow motion effect. You could also consider Time Remapping feature with or  without Frame Blend option that is built into Time Remapping.

I never use the frame rate same as source for exporting. It typically does it own thing under those circumstance and that is not always the frame rate that should have been. I would take the time to specify the frame rate in export along with all the rest of the export settings.

If you are going to upload your Expert workspace Timeline to Vimeo, I would try the settings suggested by SG...that is, Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = VimeoHD. The default there is 1280 x 720, so I would customize the setting under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset to give 1920 x 1080. Set the Level and Profile first, so that you can type in the 1920 x 1080 values. Then you would upload the AVCHD.mp4 file that you obtain and upload it to Vimeo at the Vimeo web site.

In the following Export Settings dialog for that export. I have the frame rate set for 59.94 progressive frames per second. Depending on your project plan, you can reset that to your preference

VimeoHD.JPG

If you decide to upload your Expert workspace Timeline to Vimeo via the program's Publish+Share/Online/Vimeo with Presets = VimeoHD, you cannot change the 1280 x 720 resolution there.

Please review all comments and let SG know of your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 10:06 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

You're right! Frame Blend is no longer available via right-click menu in version 11!

However, it can be applied in the Time Remapping tool, whether or not Time Remapping is applied.

Thanks for drawing this to my attention.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 11:47 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

Thanks for the follow up. I did some experimenting.

Yes, as you said, you can select a video, go to Tools/Time Remapping and click on Flame Blend and exit there with the clip left at normal motion.

When you get back to the Premiere Elements Expert workspace from the Time Remapping workspace, Clip Menu and pop up still show the Frame Blend grayed out for that particular video, but now there is a grayed out check next to the grayed out Frame Blend.

But that Time Remapping Frame Blend setting does not enable Frame Blend thereafter in Clip Menu and pop up for other than the video that went through the Time Remapping workspace.

If there is more than this one video on the Timeline, it does not work to use Copy/Paste Effects and Adjustments to apply the Frame Blend of the first to the others.

ATR

Add On...In your experiences with use of Frame Blend option, did you run into smoother but blurry video to which the Frame Blend was applied?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 5:28 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I have never done anything as extreme as adding a 24p video to a project set up for 60p. However, I use Frame Blend as a matter of course whenever I mix non-standard video into a video project and my results have always been very good.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points