Skip navigation
St8aro
Currently Being Moderated

PSE 9 will not run/load

Aug 20, 2013 10:35 AM

PSE 9 run fine until 2 days ago. upon opening found I had no Organiser menu, but had edit. Now no Organiser or edit. Only get Welcome screen. No changes to computer. Quad core, 6 meg RAM. Win 7, Home premium. (Typing has never been my strong point , Sorry)

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 20, 2013 12:47 PM   in reply to St8aro

Hi,

The (un)Welcome screen can be a problem somettimes so I (and many others) tend to set up direct shortcuts to the Organizer and the Editor.

Create shortcuts to the following locations.

Organizer: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements 9 Organizer\PhotoshopElementsOrganizer.exe"

Editor: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 9\PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe"

If you need help with creating shortcuts, then please ask.

Once you have created the shortcuts, try to see if they will load the application.

Good luck

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 20, 2013 11:51 PM   in reply to St8aro

Hi,

It sounds as though your installation has been corrupted.

I suggest that first you run chkdsk on your system disk and a virus scan to make sure things are clean, then uninstall PSE and install it again (I assume you have the serial number).

If you have problems uninstalling then you may have to do it manually - see the following

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/manually-remove-photoshop -elements-9.html

If you get PSE successfully installed and organizer still doesn't load, try holding down the shift key when you double click on the organizer shortcut. This should open the catalog manager where you can try creating a new catalog to see if you have a catalog problem.

Good luck

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 1:17 AM   in reply to St8aro

Hi,

Have you tried the Microsoft fixit tool

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/Program_Install_and_Uninstall/en-us

That might help you clean up the installation to enable you to do a clean install.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 12:32 PM   in reply to St8aro

Hi John,

There must be something odd on your system that the MSE tech didn't spot - I have Windows 7 system and I run version 9, 10 and 11 of PSE quite happily.

Is your Windows 7 system fully patched, including all the optional patches?

Did you, or the tech guy, try the Fixit tool that I suggested in message #5 above?

Are you still failing with the error 1316:A or are you getting a different error?

Do you have anything like a Wacom graphics tablet attached to the system?

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to St8aro

Hi,

The error 1316:A is normally due to a registry problem. Hopefully, your tech guy would have check your registry for errors. If, when you try to install from DVD, it still thinks Elements is loaded, I suspect that all the entries haven't been removed from the registry.

Another idea that you could try, is to create a new user, switch to that user and try an install then. There are some parts of the registry which are unique to each user, so by trying a new user it might use a clean part of the registry.

Let us know the results and then we can have a think of how to proceed.

Normally the Adobe product is quite good but does have its quirks. I'm afraid that Adobe's policy has long been to only support the latest releases and do provide this user to user forum so that we can try to help others.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 31, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to Little_Pale_Face

Hi,

Another thought, can you think of any changes you made to your system two weeks ago?

Windows 7 has a useful tool to help find out about changes. Click on the Windows Star button and the menus should open with a search box at the bottom. Type in rel and the list should change to show View Reliability History at the top - select that.

The display should show a daily table which you can scroll to the left to go back two weeks or so. The red circle with a white cross shows a critical event. A blue circle with an white i is an information. Select a day and the events will be listed in the lower part of the window.

I don't know what you will find but it does tell you when you installed things and when you did updates. I'm looking for a clue as to what caused your problems in the first place.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to St8aro

Hi,

Just to put things in perspective, I have been working with computers all my working life, my later position was in customer support before I retired. I am continually helping my friends with their PCs and hate to be beaten by a problem.

The instructions give in the document referenced in message #3 should have removed all traces of Photoshop elements 9 including the pointers to the uninstall path so I was expecting a fresh install to go without a problem. As you tech guy says that he checked those locations it might be that the installation of another application has also been corrupted.

The network error that you mentioned in message #2 can sometimes be caused when an installation is attempted from a zip file without unzipping the contents first. Since you are installing from a DVD this cause can be ignored.

The error can sometimes be caused if the system has been reconfigured, like adding a disk, after the original installation of an application - but the tech guy would have spotted that.

I'm afraid that your tech guy is in the best position to resolve your system problem, I can only help by giving him the pointers.

The only thing that I can suggest is to download the trial version of PSE 11 and see if that installs. The two versions are completely separate and you can eventually buy PSE 11 if you wish and convert your PSE 9 catalog to the PSE version 11.

One word of warning, PSE 12 is expected out quite soon.

Good luck

Brian

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points