Skip navigation
zoliking2
Currently Being Moderated

AE freezes

Aug 21, 2013 6:41 AM

I'm using AE CS6 on Windows 7 and a pretty beefy machine (not a professional workstation, more of a gaming computer).

AE keeps freezing for short periods of time. It happens frequently, usually (but not exclusively) when I move the CTI or try to do a RAM preview. It stops responding, freezing some other applications running as well. After a while it returns to working normally, so I haven't lost any work to it, only a lot of time. What causes this and how do I make it go away?

Thanks,

zoliking

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 21, 2013 12:25 AM   in reply to zoliking2

Without exact system information nobody can say. Could be your operating system doing some intense disk operation like creating system restore points or managing its swap file, could be AE's own disk cache, could be a virus scanner or could be a graphics card crash/ freeze. We need to know a lot more.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 12:00 AM   in reply to zoliking2

Run Sysinternals' System Monitor or another performance monitoring tool like Sandra. Impossible to tell what is causing these hiccups. Could even be a hardware issue with your SATA controller or whatever.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 12:07 AM   in reply to zoliking2

As Mylenium said - it hard to say without kbowing exact specification and bug report of your issue. But for now you can try reseting AE preferences of AE. It should put everything in default mode and if AE is an issue it should fix it. So try to hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift (Windows) or Command+Option+Shift (Mac OS) while the application is starting.

If that methode can't reset your settings just go to Edit/Preferences/General and on the bottom you should find Reveal Preferences in Explorer just click that and delete/move Adobe After Effects (your version of soft) Prefs.txt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 4:57 PM   in reply to zoliking2

Please submit a detailed bug report:

http://adobe.ly/ReportBug

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 12:53 PM   in reply to zoliking2

I suppose you already tried to change all cache path from the ssd to the regular disk. Does that change the crash frequency?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points