Skip navigation
daveujn
Currently Being Moderated

Why has disc menu appeared at the end of dvd?

Aug 21, 2013 6:33 AM

Hi

Have just finished a project and then decided to create a disc menu to navigate to selected scenes. Burned the disc and found the menu at the end of the disc rather than the beginning. Could anyone inform me how to move it to the begining as I cannot see it anywhere in the timeline.

Many thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 21, 2013 7:07 AM   in reply to daveujn

Dave,

Not possible. So let us explore what you have that created this. Please excuse if you been there and done this and know this, but I do not want to take anything for granted in this unusual situation.

As I recall, you are working on Premiere Elements 10 Windows. Is that correct?

When you were creating this project and it got time to apply the Disc Menus, did you go to the Disc Menus header and click on it to open the Disc Menus section with its display of disc menu categories and themes?

After you made your category/theme selection, did you drag the theme into the disc menus window to do your disc menu customization, and, when done, clicked Done?

Since you wrote...

Could anyone inform me how to move it to the begining as I cannot see it anywhere in the timeline.

I would remind you that disc menus appear no where in the project except in the Disc Menus section of the program. The disc menu does not go on the Timeline. The Timeline does however contain the menu markers which link to the disc menu buttons. But, that detail should not have anything to do with DVD menus appearing at the end of the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc produced from Premiere Elements.

Please review and supply more details so that we can sort out this issue for you.

Follow up is very, very important so looking forward to your reply.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to daveujn

daveujn

Thanks for the reply. Let us explore further.

You say that the DVD Menu is now at the end of the video. So, you have any AutoPlay of sorts.

When you get to the DVD Menu at the end of playback, can you click on the main menu Play All or Scene Selection button to navigate to the areas of the video on which you placed your menu markers? Or are you just looking at the main menu of the Disc Menu as if it were a title sitting at the end of the video? If you can get into the scene selection page of that DVD menus that you are seeing at the end of the video, can you see your scenes from the video in the thumbnails?

At this point, I would create a new project (mini test run) and take that project content to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with menus to see if you can repeat the problem.

WAIT. RECAP TIME. Could I have misinterpreted what you are asking? Let us go through this scenario to rule it in or out. If the following does not apply, then please try doing a new project as suggested above to see if you can repeat the problem.

1. You insert your DVD disc in the player.

2. Do you then see the disc menu main menu page? If so, read on....

3. If you select, movie menu's Play Movie, does the movie play from beginning to end and then revert back to the main menu page?

And, if you select Scene Selection to take you to the Scene Selection page, does the movie play back from scene(s) and at the end reverts to the main menu page?

If that is the case, are you asking how to stop the play back reverting back to the menu menu after playback is completed?

Does any of that apply to your situation?

Again, thanks for following up on the troubleshooting.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 8:22 AM   in reply to daveujn

Dave

Thanks. Looking forward to your mini test run to see if we can figure out what is going on with that disc menu. I have yet to envision a scenario where the a functioning disc menu shows up only after the play through of the video. Let us see how the mini test run using a new project turns out. I am wondering if there is any sort of setting on the player that is causing your issue.

To explore that idea, does the disc menu show up at the beginning or end of the move if you play back the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with a computer player versus your TV's DVD player or someone else's TV DVD player.

As far as I have ever known, disc menus go at the beginning of the video when they are created in the Disc Menus section of the program. However, since the disc menu buttons work from Timeline markers, you want to complete your Timeline first (including marker placement) and then move on to Disc Menus section for selection and customization of the menus.

We will watch for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 8:41 AM   in reply to daveujn

Dave

Great news.

Unless you need the disc with the menu at the end for reuse for another project, I would hold on to that disc. I need to think about this some more before thinking about asking you to post a download link to its VIDEO_TS Folder for inspection. I am concerned about your privacy in this regard.

But, did you have the time to compare the play back of the "DVD-VIDEO with disc menu at end" on computer player and TV DVD player?

The main thing is that your DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is now presenting the disc menu as expected, first, not at the end of the video.

Very pleased with your success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 5:43 AM   in reply to daveujn

Dave,

Thanks for the additional information very interesting and helpful.

Just wanted to confirm..some details specific to the information just posted

a. You are working on Premiere Elements 10 Windows

b. What is the project preset that you set for the project?

b. Your disc menu is Art In Motion, and you are just using 6 scene markers

I will take another look at this with my Premiere Elements 10, varying some conditions.

Thanks again.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to daveujn

Dave

With regard to your follow up "Not sure what you mean by project preset"....

For each new project, you are faced with the new project dialog where you make sure selection of project preset. If you do nothing, then, for versions earlier than 11, you get the default  which is NTSC DV Standard or PAL DV Standard depending on how you set up the program at installation.

The project preset directs the program to set up the correct space in the Edit Mode monitor to be appropriate for the properties of the source media. But, the project preset has additional (less obvious) functions, one of them being directing the program as to what set of disc menus to display...either for standard, widescreen, or high definition.

Please remind me if you are in a NTSC or PAL setup.

I will do some expermenting on your latest observations later today.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 12:23 PM   in reply to daveujn

Dave,

We all learn in these discussions. You are making great progress.

But, setting up the project is an important and first step to getting to a successful project result.

When you open Premiere Elements 10 Mac, you should be greeted by the new project dialog. That is the place for you to make sure that what is set there matches the properties of what you are about to import into the project. If you do nothing and just OK by it, you will be left with the default which would be, in your case, PAL DV Standard (720 x 576 pixels 4:3). A major role for that project preset is directing the program to set up a space in the Edit Mode Monitor that agrees with the properties of your source files. It has other more subtle effects on project settings, including directing the program as to which disc menus to offer you.

If you are having problems in this regard, we can discuss this further and with specific details to what you have for source media and your export goals.

Thanks for the updates.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 1:31 PM   in reply to daveujn

Dave,

The answer is in the export settings which define the export.

Any black borders or distortions in the end product?

To find what project settings you set for a project...open the saved project and check out Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and see what it says for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame size. If any problem figuring out the project preset from that, I can help you with that.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points