Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Fading Buttons in and Out

Aug 21, 2013 8:17 PM

Is it possible to have the Actual "BUTTONS" fade in and out at certatins times in my menu? I've seen it done in other tutorials but they never explain how it was done. I cant' seem to find any tutorials on this.

Thanks.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 21, 2013 8:28 PM   in reply to Triguy04

Buttons consist of "stuff" that, once rendered even if not in the working menu in Encore, is ultimately part of the background and then "highlights" that show, or not, based on the status of the button. Buttons fade, or not, based on a motion background, or as part of transitions that are "played" after a button is clicked, Buttons don't really fade in or out.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 8:52 PM   in reply to Triguy04

It depends on what type process you are seeing. Can you point to an example?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 9:48 PM   in reply to Triguy04

The appearance of the "buttons" is simply a video creation that is part of the movie file that is playing in the background of the motion menu. They are not really buttons. But, they display the text and other aspects of what the user will see as a button. The background video can fade them in, and out for that matter; but generally they fade in and stay.

The Encore menu will define a "loop point" at some number of seconds into the background movie, and when that point is reached, the button highlights (and the link functionality of the button) become active. Up to that point (and even if the buttons "appear" earlier), the user cannot click on the button area and go to a linked movie. Once the loop point is reached, links can be clicked/selected by DVD remote.

You generally take the Encore menu you are patterning, place the still in After Effects, and animate/add video, but at some point in the video, you get to the exact position of the menu. That is important so that Encore has the highlights placed in the right location.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 21, 2013 10:08 PM   in reply to Triguy04

The first two help files/tutorials I pulled up are a bit complicated by Encore CS6 being the final version (no Encore CC). Still looking.

You need to start more basic so you understand some of the terms. Then go for more complicated.

Create a new project. Add the Crib menu; it has a motion background. The button text and background elements are not in the motion background, but it will help you understand motion, buttons, and highlights. Then add a loop point so you can see how the buttons become active.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 4:30 AM   in reply to Triguy04

Let us know how it goes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 6:26 PM   in reply to Triguy04

The only thing that "pops" is the highlight. And only the default button will show the selected highlight. You can fade any graphics and text that are part of the button.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 7:26 PM   in reply to Triguy04

As Stan said up around #5, you need to use After Effects to do this.

Here is a series of screen captures I made which may help. https://vimeo.com/album/214460

Instead of making the buttons rotate, just use opacity keyframes to fade in the buttons in the menu motion background .

You have to use the loop point so the subpicture highlight doesn't come in until after you have your button do all the motion etc you want.

Hope that's relatively clear.

John Rich

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 7:48 PM   in reply to Triguy04

I've never done that, but I don't see why,  if you're just doing something simple like fade in the button you couldn't use the opacity keyframes in Premiere Pro.  Then, of coursse, you just render out your motion background.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 5:20 AM   in reply to Triguy04

Why don't you list step by step what you are doing and hopefully, we'll see the problem. 

For instance you create the menu in photoshop.

Then since you said you were going to use Premiere instead of AE, you create a motion background in Premiere and export it as an .avi.

You open Encore and create a new project.

You imort the PS menu "as a menu".

You import the motion background as an asset.

Open the menu in the viewer (double click it)

Alt Drag the motion background onto the menu.

Select the menu and go to it's layers and turn off the eyeballs of most ot the layers.

Set up the loop point.

Preivew it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points