Skip navigation
Smart_77
Currently Being Moderated

Aligning stroke to outside (not a solid path)

Aug 22, 2013 4:21 AM

Tags: #illustrator #stroke #outside #align

Hi All,

See attached picture for what I am trying to achieve please.

I am trying to create a circle where I can align a stroke to the outside of a path - however I need to be able to break the circle up into sections - once I do that - I cant align to outside anymore.

Aside from breaking the green section apart and aligning it manually by eye, is there no other way to do this? Perhaps by aligning all segments of the circle to another circle (one that hasnt been broken apart?)

Thanks in advance.example.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 22, 2013 5:18 AM   in reply to Smart_77

You can use variable width strokes for that.

Read about them in the manual. You need to set up a stroke that only extends to one side of the path.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to Smart_77

If you need that often I'd recommend to create some custom brushes.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 1:26 PM   in reply to Smart_77

You could save the variable width profile

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 2:12 PM   in reply to Smart_77

You need a closed path for align to outside or inside. Draw 2 circles (blue & green), and then mask each one with rectangles.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 2:38 PM   in reply to Smart_77

If you haven't closed a path then Illustrator has no way of knowing what side of the path is the outside. While it may be visually apparent to you what the outside is, until you close the shape Illustrator can't figure it out. In the shape below can you tell if the letter A or B is inside the shape? Without the path being closed how would Illustrator decide which side of the line to make the outside?

Clipboard01.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 2:25 AM   in reply to Smart_77

Smart,

You may use Align, but your image shows that the inner curvatures are mismatched.

The easiest way may be to:

1) Create a  stroke/nofill circle with a diameter corresponding to the intended inner radius and (you may work on a copy and keep the (locked) original for reference) and the smaller intended Stroke Weight/width;

2) Cut the circle with the Scissors Tool at the top and right Anchor Points and delete the unnecessary part;

3) Tick the centre left Reference Point in the Transform palette and with both paths (former segments) selected add half the smaller intended Stroke Weight to the W value and press Ctrl/Cmd+Enter, this should bring the top part in place;

4) Tick the top left Reference Point in the Transform palette and with the lower path (former segment) selected add half the difference between the smaller and the larger intended Stroke Weight to the W value and press Ctrl/Cmd+Enter, this should bring the bottom part in place.

You may recolour either Stroke at any time.

If you keep a copy of the original circle, you can see that its spine coincides with the inner edge of the strokes of the two paths; you may also unlock it and bring it to the front and set the Stroke to None or a small value.

Smart Guides are your friends for seeing such things.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 2:49 AM   in reply to Smart_77

If all you want to do is fit things around a common circle, this is probably the easiest way:

Picture 1.png

Draw a quarter circle.

Rotate and repeat it and scale each slice.

Draw your inner circle with its centre on the point where the slices meet.

Use Pathfinder to remove the circle from the slices.

As Jacob points out, the inner curvatures in your diagram don’t match, but you can still use a similar method to achieve that, if that’s what you want.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points