Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

.prel to Blu-ray

Aug 22, 2013 9:38 AM

m2t-file-final-version.jpgAt last I've got my project 1½ hrs as m2t file on my hard drive.  All 6 days' videos together come in at 19.5 GB.  So far every segment of the whole I've done (PAL system of course, for the UK) has been at 1920x1080 25 fps (this is the main natural format of my DSLR).

I've followed Steve's strong recommendation and am going to burn to a folder on my HD and not attempt to burn direct to the Blu-ray.

My question is should I continue with the above procedure or change now to "Use for Exporting AVCHD"?   My TV set and tuner can play AVCHD Blu-ray.  (I'm talking here about publishing to a folder first on my HD, not direct to the Blu-ray burner.)

I know Steve in the Muvipix Guide refers to publishing as DV-AVI full quality video for pc's and on p 243 has a most useful sidebar with info about AVCHD, but is there any advantage to me now in going to AVCHD considering all my separate saves up to now on this project have been less high quality than that?

You write, Steve, that "m2t's are very similar to the video format produced by AVCHD recorders ..."

I don't suppose, to be honest, there'd be noticeable difference in my Blu-ray copy if I continued doing as I've done for each of the separate video clips before joining them all up in the final product?

Thanks for help ... Hope I've explained what I mean.  Help!!  On the final lap of this thing that's taken me just on 3 weeks!  I've enjoyed it and learned a lot, with the Guide on the table next to my desktop.

Brian

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 22, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to gbrmk

gbrmk,

For screen-shots to attach, one needs to access the forum via a Web browser, then use the little "camera icon," in the middle of the editing screen's Toolbar, for a PNG or JPEG.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 10:14 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

I have not read your references, so I am not sure if my suggestions will be in sync.

But here is my take on what I believed you asked.

If you have this master .m2t file, I would import that in Premiere Elements with the correct project preset and then burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc using the burn dialog's preset of "H.264 1920 x 1080 PAL Dolby". There is no burn to folder for Blu-ray.

There is a burn to folder for AVCHD. And the BDMV Folder from that saved folder can be taken into ImgBurn to give you an AVCHD format on Blu-ray disc.  Although the Premiere Elements AVCHD burn to folder gives only the BDMV Folder and not the CERTIFICATE Folder, the burn in ImgBurn will give you a BDMV and create the CERTIFICATE Folder.

I see no reason to implicate ImgBurn in this matter for Blu-ray. If you were going to use something like the Phantom Burn in conjunction with Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray to get the disc image for the .m2t file, that is another matter.

If your Blu-ray player can play an .m2t file burned to a Blu-ray disc as an .m2t file, then ImgBurn could be used to do that, as well as other burn to programs.

Note that I am making a distinction between Blu-ray and AVCHD here.

Please check it out. If you need clarification on anything that I have written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 1:43 PM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

Looking forward to your results.

Probably not necessary, but just in case....Timeline stop markers do not function in the Premiere Elements Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc playback. Has always been that way.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 6:25 AM   in reply to gbrmk

brian

Focusing on computer playback of your Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc

You need a player that supports Blu-ray. Windows Media Player and QuickTime do not.

What has turned out the best choice for me in this regard is to use the play back software that came with the Blu-ray burner. My case, CyberLink Power DVD 9. You probably have a later version bundled with your new Samsung burner. I would suggest that you download, installed it, and use it for your computer playback. If you have CyberLink Power DVD earlier version, it might not support Blu-ray.

VLC Player should be able to playback your home made Premiere Elements Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. But, from what I have read, there is a distinction between playback of "Blu-ray movies" and playback of your Blu-ray from Premiere Elements. Unless VLC has upgraded its support, there are special steps you need to go through to get "Blu-ray movies" playback from VLC player.

https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=98554

Am I reading correctly, your Blu-ray plays back on your Blu-ray player? That is great news.

As for burn times for the Blu-ray, that is going to depend on the speed rating of your burner, speed rating of Blu-ray disc, and the nature of what you are burning to the disc. If you are going to explore and experiment with these parameters, then we may want to consider investing in a BD-RE 25 GB disc so that you have a disc that can be reused after the program erases the prior content.

I need to go back on study the rest of the details of your post 7.

Looking forward to your progress.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

After you enter up having to install all the CyberLink program so that you get your PowerDVD installed, can you not go to Control Panel and uninstall all the unwanted ones, one by one. Each of those many CyberLink programs that got installed with my Blu-ray burner are all listed under Control Panel as individual programs.

Getting the disc menus to play in VLC is a frequent complaint. Often the reply to such question seems to be wait for the next version of the VLC player. My version is 2.0.6 and I am still having problems in that regard. Since I depend on the CyberLink Power DVD for the Blu-ray computer playback, I have ignore the VLC problem. I should try to see what is happening with it though.

We will be watching for more news. Sounds like progress.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 8:47 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

You are correct that BD is all about Sony. They won the war between BD and HD-DVD some years ago. Their "master plan" was to limit all BD to only commercial releases, such as their own. They tried to kill almost all BD authoring programs, and partially succeeded, in that for any certified BD replication, one had to pay horrendous sums of $ to Sony.

At one time, they even issued firmware updates for their BD player devices, that precluded the playing of any burned BD, but seem to recall that they then lost a user-initiated lawsuit on that.

Another player, which is free, and has worked for me, is MediaPlayer Classic HC. It seems to play Menus, including pop-ups, pretty well, and might be worth a look.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 9:20 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt

How do you or did you get disc menus for Premiere Elements Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc to play back with the Media Player Classic HC? I think that I have the latest version of player and, so far, it is in the same class with the VLC player in that regard...free, but not menus display.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

I have used it with commercial BD's, and also some authored with Encore CS 6, but have not tried any BD's from PrE. I will gather up a test Project, and report either my success, or my failure.

More to come,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 9:46 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

Thanks.

Since you have posted your comment about that Media Player Classic HD, I have gone back looking for some option in that player to see if I can find what I am overlooking. So far no luck.

ATR

Add On....I have found nothing so far online on "can do" for this player with regard to Blu-ray with menus.  What version of that player are you using? We be watching for your follow up results.

Thanks for looking at this. I get good results with the software that came with my Blu-ray burner, so I am not eager to get involved with VLC and Media Player Classic HC. But always good to know that they are there just in case.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian

Thanks for your progress updates. Looking good.

My Media Player Classic HC is not showing that Jump to for Chapters nor am I getting menu playback with the player.

What link did you use for the download of the Media Player Classic that you are now using?

Hopefully, Hunt will be back with results and more of a description of the player that he says works for him in this regard.

More later.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 11:07 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian

Thanks. That is the one I have, I think. Let me check and give this another look.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 9:47 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Brian,

Just about to call it a day and thought that I would update you on my "progress" with the Media Classic Player HC.

I have downloaded and installed it (64 bit version) from the link that you posted. I went through a green screen situation when I went to play back the Premiere Elements Blu-ray disc menu format on Blu-ray disc., but that got resolved with some options changing.

I did actual see chapter markers on the player's bar at the base of the screen. But as of yet no signs of disc menus. Interesting, maybe even promising, are the grayed out words "Chapter menu" under the Navigation Menu.

Hope Hunt has some input on how to get that player to display menus before the video since he says he has. Unfortunately I do not have any store purchased Blu-ray movie to test out that possibility.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Well, I produced and burned a short BD Project in PrE 11, that played perfectly on my Sony BD player (the model on the patio), with Menus.

However, that BD did NOT display Menus in my MediaPlayer Classic HC - something that I had never encountered before. For testing, I have used it with BD's out of Adobe Encore (only available with PrPro from CS 3 to CS 6), and commercial BD's, and it has displayed the Menus on those discs, along with Menus on all DVD-Video's.

ATR is correct.

I am not sure what differs between a BD from Encore, and one from PrE, as they both use many of the same Sonic AuthorCore modules for authoring, though there ARE differences. Apparently, there is some difference between the BD's from PrE and Encore, but I have no clue as to what it is - scratch my rec. for MPC HC, if one is using PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 7:07 PM   in reply to gbrmk

gbrmb and Hunt,

Latest finding in the Media Player Classic HC  - plays or does not play menus story.

The Blu-ray part of the question is still pending. But, tonight I tried one of my home made Premiere Elements family movies DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc and an old Bob Hope store purchased DVD movie. Both played back with menus on the Media Player Classic HC (my 64 bit version).

Note: So, did the VLC Media Player.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 8:21 PM   in reply to gbrmk

gbrmk

I have just completed my epic blog post on Blu-ray computer playback for Premiere Elements 11 and store purchased Blu-ray movies, using the VLC player (with and without add ons) as well as with the Media Player Classic x64. There is always more thing to explore, so "completed" is not the most accurate word for the topic's status at this point.

Hope you find it interesting

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/08/pe-blu-ray-computer-playback-an d-more.html

ATR.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 8:36 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

ATR,

Thanks for that. MPC HC has played all of my DVD-Videos with the Menus, just fine. It was only with the PrE 11 BD, that the Menus did not play, but then it DID play both commercial BD's and Encore BD's, all with the Menus.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 9:10 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

We seem to be in accord with

the PE DVD-VIDEO movie playback, with menus before the start of the movie

and

PE 11 Blu-ray movie playback, without menus before the start of the movie

But I need to explore with you your

but then it DID play both commercial BD's and Encore BD's, all with the Menus

What do you mean by "commerical BD's"...store purchased Blu-ray movies, and was the playback  from the Blu-ray disc in the Blu-ray DVD computer drive?

As you probably noted, with MPC HC x64, my stored purchased Blu-ray movie result was no playback and error message.

So, besides the nature of your "commercial BD's" and whether on disc or not, I would ask if you added any filters to the MPC HC player?

I used the MPC HD as downloaded and installed. I did not attempt to add the multitude of filters that some claim will give this player support for Blu-ray movie with menus before the start of the movie.

As for Encore BD's all with Menus, I cannot comment on that at this point, except unexpected. Your results were unexpected because all online reports of MPC HC playback support is inconsistent with your "commercial BD's" and Encore BD's results "all with menus".

I was surprised to find the MPC HD x64 does support the playback of Premiere Elements 11 AVCHD DVD, but then without menus before the start of the AVCHD DVD movie.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 6:41 AM   in reply to gbrmk

gbrmk

The aacs folder cited is a new folder created the ordinary way and named aacs.

Before you open VLC, you should have that aacs folder as a folder in the Roaming Folder.

I have just modified the blog post to make that point clearer

KEYDB.cfg file*

• A folder named aacs** (empty) was created and placed in the Roaming Folder according to the path Local Disk C\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\
    • The KEYBD.cfg file was then placed in the aacc Folder.

Also see current footnotes

*The KEYDB.cfg file is downloaded and placed in the empty newly created aacs Folder in Roaming Folder. After first operation in VLC player, the aacs Folder then contains a vuk folder, drl file, and hrl file besides the KEYDB.cfg file.

**Create a new folder the usual way and name that folder aacs. Misspelling of folder name can cause failure to playback store purchased Blu-ray movie.

Looking forward to your results. Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian

Sounding good.

But watch out for any misspellings.

Once when I was in a hurry I named the folder in Roaming aacc instead of aacs and that resulted in failure.

Another time when I had downloaded the libaacs.dll more than once and used the second copy which the system named as libaacs(1).dll, failure resulted until I removed the (1) so that the file name was libaacs.dll.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 9:12 AM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian,

For additional Menu Templates, you might want to check out Muvipix.com. There are several there, which are for sale, or free to download to subscribers: http://muvipix.com/products.php?subcat_id=47 Some might be DVD-only, and some might be SD DVD-only. Check the specs. carefully.

Muvipix also offers stock footage, original music, and more.

Another source would be PreComposed. Jon Geddes offers some beautiful Menus, mostly done in After Effects (depending on how they are constructed, some might not work with PrE, so check any out very carefully, before buying: http://www.precomposed.com/ PrE has some very specific requirements, that some other, full-featured authoring programs does not. Again, check these out carefully, before buying.

There was a UK source, primarily for wedding Menus, but the link that I had to it, is now dead. IIRC, their Menus were not cheap, and would also probably not have worked directly in PrE, without a lot of editing in Photoshop.

Also, many users will take a stock Adobe Menu Set, and then modify it in Photoshop. They start by finding a Menu Set that is close to what they want, then modify that Template, to suit their purposes. Note here: PrE Menu Sets use some very specific conventions, so one needs to know exactly what they are doing, and then use those conventions 100%, or the Menu Set will not function. Still, with some work, and some care, much can be done, and by starting with a stock Template, a lot of the hard work is done - so long as certain things are not changed, like Layer Set names, etc.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 1, 2013 12:27 PM   in reply to gbrmk

Brian

The essentials of what I have consistently found in the basic Premiere Elements experience....

The content of your Premiere Elements Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc with or without menus is:

BDMV Folder

and

CERTIFICATE Folder

In that BDMV Folder are several folders and files. In its STREAM Folder, you will find the video represented by the file 00000.m2ts. If disc menus included, the files named 00001.m2ts and 00002.m2ts are the disc menus.

The content of your Premiere Elements AVCHD format on DVD disc with menus is:

BDMV Folder ONLY

In that BDMV Folder are several folders and files. In its STREAM Folder, you will find the video represented by the file 00000.m2ts. If disc menus included, then the files named 00001.m2ts and 00002.m2ts are the disc menus.

If you are working with AVCHD DVD via the burn to folder route, when you take its BDMV into ImgBurn for the burn to DVD, ImgBurn will exit that with both the BDMV Folder and a newly created CERTIFICATE Folder.

I have never encountered a BDAV Folder in Premiere Elements burn to Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc or AVCHD on DVD disc.

Hope that helps to focus on the Premiere Elements experience specifically.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points