Skip navigation
Nikon Newby But Wannabe
Currently Being Moderated

Nikon D7100 NEF Issues with APE11

Aug 22, 2013 3:59 PM

I have a Nikon D7100 and Adobe Photoshop Elements 11.  The problem is, the software doesn't recognize NEF files.  Doing some research, I downloaded the DNG converter but it doesn't recognize NEF files.  I tried updating the PSE11 software but I keep getting a "The update server is not responding......" "Error Code U41M1C212.  I looked for updates for the Camera Raw version.  My software has version 7.1. Aparently I need at least version 7.4 and that there is 8.0 or better available.  I can't find any version above 7.1.  I have no idea where it is.  I'm thinking this is likely an easy fix and that I'm simply missing the obvious.  I also have no idea why the DNG converter doesn't recognize the files as well.

I bought APE11 so I could work with RAW files.  One mistake I made was that I never used RAW files when I had the trial version.  I always used the JPEG files.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 22, 2013 6:49 PM   in reply to Nikon Newby But Wannabe

What operating system are you using?

If your on windows, see if this solves the update problem:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/error-update-server-repsondin g-cs4.html

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2013 8:06 PM   in reply to Nikon Newby But Wannabe

Nikon Newby But Wannabe wrote:

..................I bought APE11 so I could work with RAW files.  One mistake I made was that I never used RAW files when I had the trial version.  I always used the JPEG files.

If you have any money left, consider Lightroom.  It is easier and more fun for RAW images. 

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 4:54 AM   in reply to Nikon Newby But Wannabe

Hi,

For the D7100 you do indeed need ACR 7.4.

Hopefully the advice given by R_Kelly above should help you to update your PSE 11.

If you have downloaded/installed the latest DNG 8,1 converter, then that should recognize the NEF files. If not, please check that you are not using old Nikon software to import the images - this is known to cause the problem.

Otherwise, the DNG works on folders - you should point it to the folder containing the images not a file.

Good luck,

Brian

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points