Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Changing Size of object doesn't stick

Aug 23, 2013 2:34 AM

Tags: #size

Tricky one to add a title for but if I am resizing an object precisely using the W Value and H Value fields, for some reason the size I enter then changes. So, for example, I have an object that is 57.15mm wide. I then change that value to 57mm but when I click return it then changes back to the 57.15mm value. This appears for all other values. So if I change it to 60mm it then changes it to 59.972 mm

Not really sure what setting I have that's making it do this. My document is set up in mm.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 23, 2013 3:04 AM   in reply to greencode75

Might be this:

General Prefs > Use Preview Bounds should not be checked.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 3:36 AM   in reply to greencode75

greencode,

I am afraid you are haunted by the Align to Pixel Grid ghost.

You can select everything, then in the Transform panel untick Align to Pixel Grid and in the Options (through the flyout) untick Align New Objects to Pixel Grid. The former will rid you of it for present objects, the latter for future ones.

You may also avoid the types of documents that have it as default (RGB documents (primarily) meant for web and similar (screen) uses), or change the default for such documents.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 3:54 AM   in reply to greencode75

greencode,

Now this is strange, because 57.15mm = 162pt = 162px and 59.97 mm = 170pt = 170px, so it has something to do with aligning/snapping to whole points/pixels.

What happens if you select only the offending object and then look at the Align to Pixel Grid setting in the Transform panel?

And what happens if you untick View>Snap to Grid (if ticked)?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to greencode75

Strange ideed, greencode.

In such a case the Align to Pixel Grid may haunt the object into new documents, but it should show when the object is selected.

So it seems that it is really a ghost here.

It may be far out, but you may try to close down Illy and then either press Ctrl+Alt+Shift/Cmd+Option+Shift during startup (easy but irreversible) or Move the folder with Illy closed (more tedious but also more thorough and reversible).

Both will reset the preferences; the latter way you may move the folder back if it brings no cure to recover customized preference settings.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 5:40 AM   in reply to greencode75

You are welcome, greencode.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers