Skip navigation
laurent.weber
Currently Being Moderated

Low export quality with H.264 and wrong Bit Rate

Aug 23, 2013 6:09 AM

Tags: #bit #rate #h.264;

I am struggling to export from Premiere CC to a H.264 file. The quality is so low, and even when selecting a high bit rate, Premiere simply ignores the settings and produces a misserable compressed file.

How can I export in high definition H.264?

Is someone aware of this bug and when will Adobe deliver a software that is workable?

Thanks,

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 23, 2013 6:35 AM   in reply to laurent.weber

There is a bug in the 2-Pass option at higher bit rates.

If that is what you are using, export with a 1-Pass option and it should solve the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to laurent.weber

I've had similar quality issues with exports from AME.  In particular, I've found their Vimeo settings to be subpar.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but in the meantime, I've found a way to get pristine results every time.

As suggested my educator Larry Jordan, I always export a master file.  I match sequence settings, and choose to export with "maximum render quality" to Apple ProRes 422.

Then, I drag that file into Apple Compressor (it's only $50, after all) and make all the dubs I want.  And they all look great.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 7:38 AM   in reply to laurent.weber

Take a screen shot of your entire export window, perhaps we can determine the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 9:09 AM   in reply to laurent.weber

I experience this problem as well, and given that for work I was expected to use one specific preset every single time, being told by Adobe Representatives to "try different export settings" was really frustrating when I knew the ones I usually use are fine. Changing the VBR to 2pass did solve my problem on my OSX Machine, but I do understand how frustrating it is (Went through over 15 hours of support calls to be told I just wasn't rendering at a high enough quality). If you render through encoder you should get a VBR setting for the QuickTime preset. I've never quite been comfortable with how Premiere deals with selectively gives you controls. Select the BluRay H264 preset and you suddenly have half as less options than if you just selected H264. I've made a habbit out of rendering from Encoder. There's something more friendly about it to me.

I don't understand why this issue continues to exist considering I never had it with CS6 and its been several months that this problem has been known of. I always wait for an update just to find out that it didn't solve my problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to laurent.weber

All your questions are spot on the money. While changing from 1 pass to 2 pass will not ultimately destroy anything about my videos, I do have specific guidelines to work with for my place of business. For the longest time Adobe representatives have been telling me that it's a graphics card issue/an OS issue with Windows on my specific computer, until I got home and disproved that by doing tests on OSX.

There are quirky things about the software/program/app(Whatever the term is we're using now) that I can understand not working. I have to deactivate one of my two graphics cards when working in Premiere or video wont play back. I can understand losing functionality because something isn't compatible such as hardware in this case, but if I just want to render a video at really basic settings, and flat out can't... My laptop is running its applications on a relatively small SSD. I don't have eternal storage to keep CS6 products installed just so I can render my files...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 4:20 PM   in reply to laurent.weber

I see some real problems with your settings. Or, at least, I have no idea why you chose those settings. So, I am going to have to ask a lot more questions to understand why you have done what you have done.

1. Where are you getting 1080i footage? (Designated by the "upper" in your settings.)

2. Why are you exporting to 1080i?

I am curious what camera spits out a 1080i video at 1920X1080. My HDV camera does that but it is 1440X1080 not 1920X1080.

I don't know of any reason to export to 1080i since every HDTV I know about plays 1080p nowadays. There is no longer a need for interlacing that I am aware of, but some of the codec gurus around here might straighten me out if I am mistaken.

Perhaps if you provided a little more info, someone with a similar camera might offer some suggestions.

On the other hand, I have a feeling that you may never have intended to have your setting set to 1080i in the first place. But until we know the exact camera model, we can't be sure.

Also, I highly suggest that you drop one of the media files from your camera on to MediaInfo or GSpot in order to supply a screenshot of the exact codec in use.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 4:23 PM   in reply to victoriavanpatten

...Select the BluRay H264 preset and you suddenly have half as less options than if you just selected H264...

That is an attempt to keep you from selecting things that violate the Blu-Ray standard.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

I am curious what camera spits out a 1080i video at 1920X1080.

Many camera's by Sony and Canon.

You still need 1080i for BluRay.

I like to keep a 1080i timeline (if possible) if I have to make a dvd also.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 6:11 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann,

Really? OK. Hmmm. Didn't know that. I am shooting 1080p and I don't write to Blu-Ray, or at least, have not needed to yet.

So, do you see anything wrong with the export settings? Based on what you said, it looks OK to me. Maybe get rid of "Render at Maximum Depth" and/or "Use Maximum Render Quality"?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 2:35 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Steven Gotz wrote:

There is a bug in the 2-Pass option at higher bit rates.

If that is what you are using, export with a 1-Pass option and it should solve the problem.

What bug?

I exported a mp4 vbr2 32-40 with no issue.

I do not use max render or max bit depth.

I am shooting 1080p

Yeah but that is not a real camera...

Even my Nikon shoots 1080i

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

There is no longer a need for interlacing that I am aware of

DVD, Blu-ray and Broadcast.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 7:49 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

DVD, Blu-ray and Broadcast.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the education.

I had no idea. Really.

Remember, I dissapeared for a few years and I guess I thought things had changed more tha they actually did. When I came back it was to a world I thought had gone to 1080p while getting ready for 4K. My camera, just a toy I suppose, shoots 1080p. Mostly. It doesn't even have an interlaced option at a decent bit rate. All I remember is that we used to suffer from getting rid of the interlacing. It never ocurred to me that people would still want it.

The least amount of compression is the 72Mb/s 24p, but I have to admit that I rather enjoy shooting 60p so that I can get great slow motion, and I am not using the all I-Frame like I thought I would. On the other hand, I have had this camera for eight months, and I don't think I have shot more than three hours of video yet. I am still experimenting with my lenses and different settings while taking photographs. Funny because I bought it for the video capabilities and had no idea I would fall in love with shooting stills. And I thought that the only stills I would shoot would be travel and landscape stuff, and all I want to do now is take pictures of people.

Capture.PNG

Anyway, back to the original problem. If it is not an interlacing issue, what do you suppose is going on that Laurent can't get a decent export?:

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 3:47 PM   in reply to laurent.weber

laurent.weber wrote:

Appreciate your time and support Steven. Here is the screenshot. I am getting only 5'840 Kbps in the exported file.

There are two ways this can happen.

1: at 5840kbps the image is lossless and needs no further compression information to make the output.

2: there is a bug in the (shipped) h.264 encoder's (rate control) software.

Assuming it's 1, then you have some problem in how your source is being rendered. Try exporting to a Digital Intermediate like AVID DNxHD and view that in a player. If you see problems then it's the source material.

2: If the h.264 bundled encoder sucks (and IMO it does) you can try out x264pro to get a better encode.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 5:23 PM   in reply to Rallymax-forum

AVID DNxHD and view that in a player

How?  None of mine will play that codec.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points