Skip navigation
forttrell
Currently Being Moderated

Moving clips around unsuccessful- horrible results!

Aug 23, 2013 7:15 AM

Hello- I am a teacher moving from Adobe Premiere Pro to Elements (10) because my district cannot afford the Pro version for my classroom (I was using Pro 6.5).  I have met with quite a few frustations as this doesn't work the way Pro does (duh- it's hundreds less, right?)  So, I have all my clips on my timeline and now I want to move them around and reorder them (sometimes tweeking the length, etc.)  Normally I would push everything over to the right to make a space, move the clip I want into the space and them move everything back to the left until it meets up.  Except I cannot move things over, they never make a space.  They all move together.  RRRRRrrrrrrr.  And my song file keeps getting chopped into bits.

My first issue was asked and answered by someone here (the current time marker line wasn't moving when the project is viewed).  I'm hoping someone knows how to help me so I can start school with a full head of hair (otherwise, it's all going to be pulled out).

Thank you for your time and smarts.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 23, 2013 7:21 AM   in reply to forttrell

Premiere Elements is definitely going to work very differently than Premiere 6.5. In fact, Premiere Pro works very differently than Premiere 6.5, since Premiere 6.5 is well over 10 years old -- a lifetime as software goes.

What you are dealing with is called ripple editing, and it's just a matter of learning to work with it (or holding down the Ctrl key when you don't want it to happen).

Meantime, have you checked out my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 8:26 AM   in reply to forttrell

Help-and-Tutorials page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 8:58 AM   in reply to forttrell

Yes. Just drag to lasso them and move them to the right.

Though you don't need to. If you just drag your new clip into the middle of a sequence without holding down the Ctrl key, the other clips will automatically move to the right to allow you to insert the clip.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to forttrell

You can use the Efffects Mask to isolate the effect and then apply a Gaussian Blur over it.

Have you worked through my Basic Training tutorials?

With these basic kinds of questions, you may want to look into getting a copy of my book, which takes you step-by-step through the program's features.

http://muvipix.com/pe11.php

If you're really coming from Premiere 6.5, which was designed back in the pre-DV era, everything about video editing has changed since then. It might be a good idea get the basic down before you get too deeply into a project.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 23, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to forttrell

Forttrell,

I your problem is ONLY out around the edges of your Clip, it might also be possible to use the Fixed Effect>Motion>Scale, to enlarge your Clip, and let the Project's Frame Size effectively crop those damaged areas out.

Now, if the damage extends well into the Frame, then Scaling will likely introduce too much image degradation - for just a little, it can work nicely though.

For more severe damage, then your tack, plus Steve G's suggestions will like allow you to clean things up, just with a slightly different aesthetic solution.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points