Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CC is great but I still need help to get started

Aug 24, 2013 7:38 AM

Tags: #indesign #formatting #headers #cc #index_page

Hi,

I have started using Indesign CC and I am impressed by the features it contains and which I will use some time.

However, I find some simple things difficult to do, most likely because i dont know enough (I have been reading Indesign CS6 by S. Cohen) and that is the reason I come here for help.

1) What should I do to make my preferences permanent (e.g. units of mesure, background silver, etc) as it seems that when I make such choices they are only good for the document I work with.

2) I am having difficulties in creating, Titles, Headers and Footers (Do I have to use tables for that?)

3) It is not clear how I can mark entries in order to create a full index

Thanks for your time, venerable Adobe users.

Serge

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to sergec112
    1. - With no document open change you setting, then close and open indesign.
    2. - If this for text you can use Paragraph Styles & Character Styles, if for Tables use Table>Table Options

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 8:12 AM   in reply to sergec112

I'm only going to talk about headers and footers since Salah has already told you how to set your prefs for new defaults and I don't do indexing in my work.

You asked if you need to use tables, and the answer is no, unless it makes sense to do so by the nature of the header or footer. Headers and footers are normally set up on the master pages by adding text frames of appropriate sizes in the postions where you want these headers or footers to appear. Master page objects appear on every page in your document that is based on that master. You can add text variables to the frames that will find styled text on the document page and insert it into the header or footer, as well as things like page number markers.

Be sure you make your frames wide enough to accomodate the largest page number or text string you will encounter. Variables are a single character for formatting purposes, and the text they pick up will not break across lines, so you can wind up with text that piles up on top of itself if the frame is too small. I'm not a fan of tables in general becasue I hate formatting them, so I would, for a header or footer, probably use individual text frames where you might think several cells in a one-row table would be appropriate.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 8:27 AM   in reply to sergec112

For Indexing this will get you started: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesign/cs/using/WS8721440D-5F68-4fd6-811 5-CA3BEDACF001a.html. The index panel is located in Window/Type and Tables/Index. You start by creating your topics and then entering your references. You need to experiment a little bit to get familiar with it. If more questions arise comeback to this forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 1:01 PM   in reply to sergec112

Drawing a text frame is just a matter of using the text tool, then click and drag. You need to start someplace that isn't already an empty frame or shape on the page, though, or it will convert that frame into a text frame. YOU can move the frame into position withthe Selection Tool (balck arrow) if necessary. The paragraph style in the new frame will be wahtever style was active when you drew the frame, but you can change it to anything you like. Creating text frames should be covered in a lot of detail for you in Sandee's book.

You insert a variable into a text frame by first defining it (in most cases, such as a Running Header Variable): Type > Text Variables > Define... and choosing New. When you return to the Define dialog you can slect the new variable from the list and click insert, or if the variable is already defined you can use Type > Text Variables > Insert > and choose the correct one. It's very similar to inserting a special character.

Are you planning on making separate files for each chapter and combining them in a Book (.indb) file? If so, I would make a blank 1- or 2- page template file that contains your master pages, styles and swatches, then open the template for each new chapter and Save As the new chapter name. You can also synchronize all of these things from your choice of "source file" to the other files contained in the Book.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 2:24 PM   in reply to sergec112

LIke many things in InDesign and page layout in general, there is more than one way to do this.

You can use two frames, one for the main text and one for the number, and set the appropriate alignment on each, or use a single frame with left alignment and put a Right Indent Tab (Shift + Tab) between the text and number. This will make both halves touch the edge of the frame no matter how long, and you can use it for mirrored header layouts to by swapping positions of the number and text, but leave the right indent tab between them. Separate frames is probably a better choice if you want to have different formatting for the text and numbers though, since you can only have a single paragraph style if they are in the same frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 6:01 AM   in reply to sergec112

Some of our other experts can give you much better information about this than I can because I work only in print. That said, you are basically correct. I think you will want to look into "alternate layouts" and "linked stories" in your reading.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 6:10 AM   in reply to sergec112

Actually, you don't need to get rid of the headers and footers. When you export to Kindle they will be ignored. As you might be aware, there's a Kindle plugin for Indesign that you can download at the Kindle site.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 6:14 AM   in reply to Ellis home

Even better. Thanks, Ellis.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 7:28 AM   in reply to sergec112

A workaround is to export the file to ePub and then open it in Kindle Previewer. It will be converted automatically to mobi file.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 1:52 PM   in reply to sergec112

Styles are a document level attribute and will carry through to all apages automatically. Are you having trouble with adding pages to hold your overset text? How is the text getting into the file?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 2:34 PM   in reply to sergec112

Most people do their writing in a word processor first because it does just keep adding pages, then they place that file into ID using Autoflow as they place and ID adds as many pages as it takes to hold the text. But it's perfectly OK to do it all in ID if that makes you comfortable. You might want to turn on Smart Text Reflow (a feature I don't use becasue I'm very "old school" and want to be in complete control of my layouts). you can also click the little square aboeve the bottom right corner of your text frame (it may have a red plus sign in it if there is more text than will fit) and then either click and drag a new frame of the correct size or click on the top margin guide and release to make a new, threaded frame on another page, or click inside the frame area if you have a master text frame on the page already.

This is also part of your basic training that I think Sandee covers very well in her book. I'm sure she talks about Smart Text Reflow and Primary Text Frames, too.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points