Skip navigation
iMac_Res
Currently Being Moderated

Color mismatch in prints

Aug 24, 2013 10:26 AM

Tags: #lightroom #problem #4 #print #color_mismatch #lr4

I print out of Lightroom, monitor and printer calibrated with Colormunki:

Softproof with the paperprofile looks fine (whether the manufacturer's or mine)

Print into jpeg file - looks fine

Print to printer with identical profile - colors don't match. It makes a significant difference whether perceptiv or relative is chosen in color management, but in both cases colors just don't match. Perceptive - colors look completely different, relative - most colors are good, but deep black shadows for example are dark grey instead of black.

Printing the colorsamples for the colormunki - all colors look perfect.

I've spent a fortune meanwhile on paper and ink...

LR4.4

Apple iMac OS X 10.8.4

Epson Stylus Pro 3800, latest firmware and driver

Epson ink

Epson paper & Hahnemuehle

Canon 5D Adobe RGB

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to iMac_Res

Is this a simple problem of not turning off color-management in the printer driver, so double profiling is occurring?

Or is it a more difficult situation where there is a bug in the printer driver that prevents color management from being turned off at least for some driver versions and you have to find the proper one before things will work?  Here is a long thread from a year ago with no resolution for an Epson R2880 and the user not being able to get a driver that does the color management properly:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/photoshop_manage d_color_dark_images

You might try older drivers by selecting older versions of the OS:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=79928 <http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?oid=79928&BV_ UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_M_X8> &BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Downloads&platform=OSF_M_X8

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 3:00 PM   in reply to iMac_Res

Do you get the same result if you purposely cause double-profile, by enabling color-management in the printer driver while at the same time enabling it in LR and PS?

I was going to ask if maybe the ColorMunki profile was created when the printer-driver had color-management enabled, but then you said in your latest test that you’re using an Epson profile. 

The symptom of the ColorMinki patches printing ok while regular pictures didn’t would fit the problem of the profiling when the printer still doing it’s automatic color management.  Are you printing the ColorMunki patches with LR or with some other program?  (I don’t have a ColorMunki to understand the process.)

Is your screen calibrated reasonably well?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 7:27 PM   in reply to iMac_Res

Can you provide a screen capture showing of the Epson driver settings when the printer driver color management is disabled and LR color management is enabled?  The only examples of the Epson printer settings I can see on the internet are somewhat dated.

For my printer, which is not an Epson, when I enable a LR color profile and click Printer… I see exactly the same options as when I have LR set to Managed by Printer for its color profile.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 10:52 PM   in reply to iMac_Res

Are the colors off, or is the black point just “higher” in the printed version?  I assume there is black ink, still, and that you’ve tried perceptual as well as Relative.  Does it work to set LR to print sRGB output (as its output color profile) and the printer in some sort of sRGB mode?

I would try a small file, maybe a couple inches square, so as not to waste ink.

Because you’re printing such a large file, is something running out of memory?

Despite my last name, my ancestors migrated to England in the mid-1800s, so I can’t read German and can’t really give any suggestions about what to click on that might enable the printer’s color management, although as you say they appear to be disabled in the current settings.

Does ColorMunki come with a TIF or JPG version of the color patches you can use to test with, or maybe do a print-screen of some of the calibration setup panels and assign your monitor profile to it in Photoshop then import that into LR.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 12:24 PM   in reply to iMac_Res

I suggested printing a small version of the image to check for memory issues because it is plausible that the printer-driver would not have access to all 12GB of memory.

Can you make a composite image of the reference and a small version of the landscape and see if things look different for the landscape?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points