Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

ePub paragraph spacing lost in Adobe Digital Editions 2.0

Aug 24, 2013 1:29 PM

Tags: #epub

Dear All,

I'm building an ePub book with Adobe InDesign CC and am wondering about line breaks and paragraph spacing.

The ePub paragraph spacing is correct when I read it on my iPod Touch Fifth Generation using iBooks, but when I use Adobe Digital Editions 2.0 to read it, the paragraphs are run together and the spacing is not as I want it.  This seems to happen randomly, as sometimes the spacing between paragraphs is there and other times the paragraphs are run together, even though I THINK that I have written everything in the same way in InDesign.

I would like the ePub to have the correct paragraph formatting when read by people on their computers, but if I make the paragraph spacing correct for Adobe Digital Reader, it is not correct for the iPod Touch.

Any ideas on how to correct this problem? -- or is Adobe Digital Editions not doing its job?

Thanks.

I think I found an answer myself.  If I edit in Story Editor and put the paragraph return AFTER the line break rather than before, the paragraphs read correcly in both the iPod and Adobe Digital Editions.  I'll have to go back through my ePub and adjust this.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2013 2:27 PM   in reply to Small Town Gal

I haven't seen that behavior with paragraph spacing in ADE. ADE has some issues with other things tough and the ideal situation is that you test your ePub on the device that is intended for. That said, how did you create the space between paragraphs?

Just noticed that you mention using paragraph return for paragraph spacing. The consensus here is to use the Space Before/Space After feature for paragraph spacing. You can integrate this in your paragraph style so you don't have to do it manually one by one.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2013 5:56 PM   in reply to Small Town Gal

Well, that's one of the reasons to use the Space After feature. Try it and you'll see that ePub keeps the space you set for your paragraphs. By the way, I know where you're coming from. It took me a while to get used to paragraph styles when I started using ID. In the long run it'll make your life easier. It just take a little more work to set the document up, but when you need to make changes or adjustments is much easier with paragraph styles. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points