Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 11 doesn't support variable frame rate? How do I fix this?

Aug 24, 2013 12:34 PM

Tags: #problem #adobe #video #audio #11 #premiere_elements #premiere_elements_11 #de-sync

Hello!   Is there a known workaround for working with variable frame rate video in Premiere Elements 11?    Is there anything within Premier Elements I can adjust to correct the audio sync issues I keep running into when working with variable frame rates?    Anything coming soon in a new release to address this?   Please help!! 

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to jhartne

Premiere Elements 11 can certainly work with different frame rates in the same project -- if that's what you mean by variable frame rates. So that's not likely the reason you're losing sync.

What model camcorders are your video sources and what format and resolution are they?

What are your project properties, as listed under the Edit menu?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to jhartne

jhartne

If you are sure that it is a variable frame rate at the core of your issue, then check out the pronoucement of the ID Studio North Films (post 22 of the following thread)

open file into quicktime, goto save as, save as refrence video. Done

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/934466

I believe the ID is talking about QuickTime Pro. Although this pronoucement was made in a Premiere Pro forum, there have been several here in Premiere Elements Forum who have echo'ed it.

However, I have used iPhone 5 video with variable frame rate in Premiere Elements 11 Windows successfully without having to do much more than import it into Premiere Elements with the correct project preset.

But, if you are encountering the out of sync audio with your video with variable frame in spite of the fact that you have have set up the project correctly, then do check out the above QuickTime Pro fix.

We will be watching for your results.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

SG

Looks like we travelled at the same moment to this thread s. I did not see your post before I posted.

I think this is the old cell phone video Premiere Elements and Premiere Pro story.

I believe that this ID is referring to a video file in which the frame rate is allowed to varying during recording (typically related to lighting at time of recording). I did not pick up on this as the ID wanting to use various video files, each with different frame rates.

But, clarification should be coming soon.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 4:13 PM   in reply to jhartne

Check with "live gamer HD by AverMedia" to find out if they have a way to generate fixed frame rate video

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 4:48 PM   in reply to jhartne

I would download the free utility, MediaInfo, and run one of the output files through it. List the full specs. of that file.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 4:55 PM   in reply to jhartne

jhartne

It is very important for you to clarify the situation of your frame rate.

If you put your video into a program that reads its video properties, what does it say for frame rate? Does it give one frame rate in the readout or does it give 3 readings

a. frame rate

b. minimum frame rate

and

c. maximum frame rate

Many videos from cell phones have "variable" frame rates because during its camera recording changes in frame rate are permitted because of lighting conditions. From what you wrote, I do not be believe you have this type of "variable frame rate". So, let us prove that to both of us, by running your video through the MediaInfo (tree view) program and see what the frame rate reading is or are.

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

I suspect what you have is 1920 x 1080 footage with a fixed frame rate (lots more information needed about it), you are trying to view this in the Premiere Elements 11 Expert workspace monitor from Timeline playback and are getting hesitation and or jerky playback. And, you are calling this jerkey playback variable frame rate. Is that correct? If not, please explain further.

If the latter is the case, then we need to know specifically

a. What computer operating system are you using? Is your Premiere Elements 11 installed for NTSC or PAL.

b. What are the properties of your 1920 x 1080 (video and audio compression, frame rate, pixel aspect ratio, file extension)? You can also get that from the MediaInfo program.

c. What are you or the program setting as the Premiere Elements 11 project preset? If you do not know, please see Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and the readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, and Frame Size.

Please answer all the questions. The answers are needed. If you do not understand the questions as I have written them, let me know and I will re-write if necessary.

Looking forward to your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 5:06 PM   in reply to jhartne

jhartne

Please delete what is posted in post 10 with your name assigned to it and or just post the message as you did in your post 6. In post 10, there is no message with information on your issue, just wording that is messing up my email system with spam warnings. If you posted OK in post 6, then you should have been able to post OK in post 10.

If you are having trouble posting, then please contact the Forum Comments forum to get assistance.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

I hope we can get beyond the posting glitches so that we can get to work defining your "variable frame rate" situation.

Thank you.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 5:40 PM   in reply to jhartne

jhartne

Please contact Forum Comments since your posts in this forum continue to present without any Premiere Elements information and with continuing spam messaging which is impacting my computer email system that receives email notification of posts in the thread.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 24, 2013 6:39 PM   in reply to jhartne

jhartne

Thanks for the information provided. I am glad that we can now get on with the troubleshooting.

Your MediaInfo was extremely helpful and definitely established that your AVCHD.mp4 (1920 x 1080p) was created with a variable frame rate, contrary to what I suspected. This takes us back to the question asked by John T. Smith back in post 5 of your thread when he wrote

Check with "live gamer HD by AverMedia" to find out if they have a way to generate fixed frame rate video

If there is an option to set for a fixed frame rate in that program that is generating the video, then that is your answer, that is, change to a fixed frame rate of 24 progressive frames per second instead of letting it vary between 0.706 frames per second and 24.000 frames per second.

Another important factor (once we get the frame rate matter settled) is to set up the project correctly. If you have video 1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second, then your project preset should be

NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p24 or PAL/SDLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p24.

Please review the above and let us know first about changing the variable frame rate to fixed frame rate with the program that you are using to generate the AVCHD.mp4 file.

Thanks. And, thank you for straightening out the posting details. Much appreciated.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 6:03 AM   in reply to jhartne

jhartne

Thank you for the follow up information and the good news that you have identified the cause of your Premiere Elements issue and resolved it.

Continued success.

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points