Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Querying Dates

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2013 Aug 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am attempting to output some calendar dates from a database. I have a field called StartDate in the table formatted as mm/dd/yyyy. I'd like to output "future dates" for each month, so I've written this query:

<cfquery name="January" datasource="dsn">

SELECT *

FROM SITE:Calendar

WHERE DatePart('m', [StartDate]) = 1 and StartDate >= #Today# and Archive = 0

ORDER BY StartDate ASC, StartTime ASC

</cfquery>

FYI: #Today# is formatted as mm/dd/yyyy

This query works, but it also returns passed dates for the month.  Question 1 is, why isn't the above query eliminating dates that have passed for the month of January?  Is there a way to do this?

At another spot on the page, I'd like to output all dates less than #Today# that have passed for the current calendar year, so I've written this query:

<cfquery name="Past" datasource="dsn">

SELECT *

WHERE DatePart('yyyy', [StartDate]) = #Dateformat(Today, 'yyyy')# and StartDate < #Today# and Archive = 0

</cfquery>

This query returns 0 results, but there are quite a few records that should be counted.  Question 2 is, can someone explain why this isn't working?

I appreciate in advance the help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

My guess is a format descrepancy. You should use the cfqueryparam tag or the createODBCDate() function to pass in your date into the query.

SELECT *

WHERE

DatePart('m', [StartDate]) = <cfqueryparam value="1" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" />

and StartDate >= <cfqueryparam value="#Today#" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_DATE" />

and Archive = <cfqueryparam value="0" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" />

</cf

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is a format descrepancy. You should use the cfqueryparam tag or the createODBCDate() function to pass in your date into the query.

SELECT *

WHERE

DatePart('m', [StartDate]) = <cfqueryparam value="1" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" />

and StartDate >= <cfqueryparam value="#Today#" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_DATE" />

and Archive = <cfqueryparam value="0" cfsqltype="CF_SQL_INTEGER" />

</cfquery>

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please confirm the data type of the StartDate column. When you say it's "formatted as mm/dd/yyyy", is that just what you're seeing on the screen in front of you, or have you really got a varchar (etc) column in which you are storing date data as poorly-formatted strings?

--

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, Steve and Adam.  Steve's suggestion solved the issue I was having.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Documentation