Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Uninstalling Premiere Elements

Aug 24, 2013 4:56 PM

I am using Win 7, Premiere Elements 10. I installed it some months ago, but did not have the opportunity to use it at that time. A couple of days ago I fired Premiere up for the first time. The trouble started right from the get-go, the Desktop icon did nothing. No big deal, I found the .exe file and started it up. I tried to start a New Project by getting media from File or Folder. Dragging the file in didn't work. Double-clicking it did. Now I tried to drag the file to the timeline, the screen went a sort of milky white with the program barely visible behind the fog, and an hour-glass. And that's as far as I got. Not only was Premiere frozen, the machine was locked up solid, even CTRL+ALT+DEL didn't didn't work.

So I did a hard shut-down. And started over. And got the same result. Sign of madness? Probably.

I decided to uninstall and re-install. I used Control Panel, and as far as I could tell the uninstalling routine ran normally and there was a message to say the program had been removed (or words to that effect). When I put the CD in to re-install the first thing that came up was "Do you want to uninstall?" No option to Install or Repair. I used Explorer to look for Premiere in C:\Program files. There was an Adobe folder because I do use CS6, and in this folder was a sub-folder, "Adobe Premiere Elements 10." Interestingly this folder had a number of sub-folders, none of which contained the Premiere Elements .exe file. What I found even more intriguing was the vast number of files left behind by the uninstall routine, thousands of them, 2.1+ GIGABYTES in one sub-folder alone, Movie Themes. Hundreds more megabytes in other folders.

Now it may seem unimaginable to anyone in Adobe that someone might actually want to get rid of one of their programs. But I did choose to uninstall, so what possible reason can there be for leaving nearly 3 GIG of trash on my hard drive?

So I went back to the CD, and went with the Uninstall option, AGAIN. I was prompted to De-activate, which I did. The same routine ran, and ended with "...has been removed" AGAIN. Now I put the CD back in the drive, and chose Install. Went through the installation, entered the serial number just like a fresh install. Fired up Premiere and was surprised AGAIN to see that the project, the aborted one, was one of the options.

So if Premiere was uninstalled not once, but twice, how could this all new installation still have a record of that aborted project? This has left me with a deep distrust of anything with Adobe in the title. Why was so much junk left on my machine? And just what do I have to do to get rid of EVERY last trace of Premiere?

If you've got this far I thank you for your patience.

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 24, 2013 5:24 PM   in reply to OldRhind

David,

Given that you have Premiere Elements 10 on Windows 7 64 bit and you want to get rid of it (uninstall from your computer completely). Let us go through the check list and compare notes

1. Opened Premiere Elements 10 project workspace...Help Menu/Deactivate and do just that. Close the program.

2. Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall a Program...there are two entries for Premiere Elements 10...

a. Adobe Premiere Elements 10 (program) with a file size of 1.23 GB

b. Adobe Premiere Elements 10 (Content) with a file size of 1.23 GB

Consider...when you start the uninstall, one of the intital pages will be "Uninstall Preferences"

a. you dot either Keep My Preferences

or

b. Remove my preferences (in view of your intent, I would select this one)

also on that page is a place for a check mark for "Remove Downloaded Content"...what did you do about that one? In view of your intent, I would select a check mark for this option.

After all that is finished, I would add the finishing touch of

a. Clearing Documents of the Adobe Folder/Premiere Elements Folder/

b. cclearner (regular and registry cleaning).

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

And if you have any doubt about the program being gone "completely", go into the Registry and Ctrl + F of Find to get all traces of Adobe Premiere Elements.

Please let us know if all that works for you.

Thanks.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to OldRhind

David,

I believe that ATR has addressed the uninstall routine with great detail.

One thing caught my attention, and might need addressing, when/if you do reinstall:

Now I tried to drag the file to the timeline, the screen went a sort of milky white with the program barely visible behind the fog, and an hour-glass. And that's as far as I got. Not only was Premiere frozen, the machine was locked up solid, even CTRL+ALT+DEL didn't didn't work.

When the GUI display goes wonky, it is often caused by an obsolete video driver. While not the only possible cause, it is the first one that comes to my mind.

I would take the time to check that you have the very latest video driver for your video card/chip, from the mfgr's. Web site. I would not trust Windows, or any driver utility program, to tell if you have the latest - check from the nVidia, or AMD/ATI Web site for verification.

Though an obsolete video driver will often yield an error message, that is not always the case. Though you did not get an error message, I would also check to make sure that a BadDrivers.TXT file is not left behind, when you unistall the program.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Hunt,

If one uninstalls through the registry clean up as I have described, nothing survives including the BadDrivers.txt file.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 11:33 AM   in reply to A.T. Romano

I assumed that would be the case, but as I have not had to uninstall, or even get the BadDrivers.TXT file, I could not be sure.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to OldRhind

David

Thanks for the great news that the issue is resolved so that you can move forward in your Premiere Elements projects.

when I did re-install the program seemed to work normally so what that milky white screen was all about I have no idea.

I hope that you can use the positives of the program to your advantage. Some of these unanswered whys can be unsettling nonetheless. I do not work for Adobe, nor am I affiliated with it in any way. So, my opinions are my own...just another Premiere Elements user like you.

Success with your projects.

ATR

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to OldRhind

David,

One of the aspects of doing an uninstall is that existing, and previous Projects are NOT included in that operation. That allows one to uninstall, then reinstall, and not loose editing.

However, as you found out, the uninstall is not 100%, with regard to all aspects of the program (unfortunately), but ATR stepped you through the process. With the Creative Suite programs (like PrPro), after an uninstall, one would run the Creative Suite Cleaner Tool, to wipe out everything, BUT Projects. It would probably be better if Adobe would beef up the uninstall routine though.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 4:11 PM   in reply to OldRhind

David,

Regarding the Additional Functional Content (AFC), I would assume that Adobe's engineers were thinking that one would more likely uninstall, to reinstall, in hopes of fixing something. That AFC is a separate install, and even download, if one does not have physical media.

As of PrE 11, it is now an Internet download and install, and can take quite some time.

If one is doing an uninstall to completely rid the machine of Adobe PrE, then there is just a bit more work involved. Prior to PrE 11, the install routines for the program and that AFC were totally different packages. Not sure if an uninstall of PrE 11 will also wipe out the Internet downloaded AFC.

Now, I think that I would have added a single routine choice to "Remove Everything," and PrE 11 might even have that. I have never needed to do an uninstall, so cannot say for sure.

Good luck, and you go back almost as far as I do. My first computer was DOS 2 on a floppy, with no HDD, and only a Sys.COM file for the OS. Did not take me too long, before I invested heavily into a 10MB MFM HDD!

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 4:38 PM   in reply to OldRhind

David,

The matter of the Premiere Elements 11 Content is of particular interest to me, and I have written a detailed blog post about the situation. I am not sure if what is in my blog post is more or less than you already want or care to know about the subject.

But, just in case, I will post a link to it for your consideration.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe11-no-content-disc-content-downlo ads.html

ATR

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points