Skip navigation
Michael Flux
Currently Being Moderated

Text randomly disappears without warning

Aug 25, 2013 1:57 AM

Tags: #bug #photoshop_cc #text_disappears

Encounted a very major bug today that I need to figure out how to get around asap as it's completely preventing me from doing any work.

Whenever I edit any text - be it editing an existing text layer, or with a new one, whatever text is there just randomly and without warning disappears.  Doesn't matter wether I'm changing the color, font, font size or any other type settings.  Sometimes I just move the mouse while in editing mode and the text just vanishes.

Made a video of the bug in action.  Virtual keyboard on screen so you can see that I'm not hitting any keys to make the text disappears.  Today is the first day I noticed this issue and I have absolutely no idea what is causing it but it happens 99.9% of the time that I try editing any text.  Latest version of Photoshop, CC, OS X etc.

http://f.cl.ly/items/2s3y0d2d1R1c2Y173Q38/photoshop-bug.mov

Please advise, I really need to get it figured out as soon as I can - as you can imagine impossible to do any sort of work without being able to type a single character.

Replies
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Aug 25, 2013 1:13 PM   in reply to Michael Flux

Goodness!  Eleven hours without a reply.

I'd guess that your system is getting random, erroneous input from keyboard mouse or tablet, and one of those devices has a driver problem or clash, or interference from another wireless device.  Do you have any wireless input devices?

Try Google for Random keyboard and mouse input

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 25, 2013 4:27 PM   in reply to Michael Flux

Unfortunately, nobody else is reporting anything like that - so it is unlikely to be a Photoshop bug.

Corrupt fonts or corrupt prefs could cause problems, or perhaps a problem in the video card driver.

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,829 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Aug 25, 2013 4:58 PM   in reply to Michael Flux

so something has changed in the last few days?  I am a Windows user, and would check the updates history looking for recent changes. I imagine OS X has the same sort of thing?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 1:38 AM   in reply to Michael Flux

Same problem here unfortunately. Latest version of OSX and CC with all updates.  Have disabled all other apps and tried disabling hardware acceleration, resetting everything I can think of and the problem persists.

Its definitely not due to random keyboard/mouse input as the text does not disappear when highlighted, only when the font style/colour/size is changed.

Needless to say this is extremely frustrating and I dont have time to reinstall OSX at the moment; Can anyone think of anything else to try?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2013 6:15 PM   in reply to Michael Flux

Same issue here, really frustrating. On a brand new MBP with the latest OSX and CC installed and no custom fonts.

Going to try reinstalling CC and seeing if that works. Seems completely nuts that fixing this requires a fresh OS install.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 12:06 AM   in reply to megsfulton

Please do keep us updated if this works for you. If not I'm going to have to try a full fresh OSX install over the weekend.

P.S. when using the keyboard to make the character adjustments (e.g. select text, click once in the character size panel and then tap up and down on the keyboard) rather than selecting values or fonts from the dropdown lists it does work.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 7:00 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

Whenever making changes to text it pauses for a second then disappears. The only way have changes take affect is make the change (style/colour/size), wait a second for the text to disappear and then Ctrl/Command+z. This is the only way I've to work around this glitch.

Photoshop CC

OS X Mavericks 10.9

Macbook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013

Do I have to reinstall the OS?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 7:01 AM   in reply to megsfulton

I'm in the same boat.

Any luck reinstalling CC?

Have you gone so far as reinstalling Mavericks?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 7:03 AM   in reply to Chris Cox

I have this issue with a brand new Macbook Pro late 2013 with Mavericks. I haven't had any other problems with fonts, programs, or anything else for that matter.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 7:24 AM   in reply to Michael Flux

Did more digging on the discussion forums and looks like they found a work around solution by disabling dication. I reinstalled CC and then disabled dication and everything is working fine now.

Posting a link to it here since this is the first result in google for the problem:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/cs5_text_deleted _upon_selecting_after_updated_to_os_10_9

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2013 7:31 AM   in reply to megsfulton

Legend!  Disabled dictation and restarted PhotoShop and its all working again.  Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2014 1:58 PM   in reply to alexcollins

Oh Man! That has to be it! Thank you all so much I accidentally activated diction recently, but didn't bother to disable it, right around the same time that issues started. Disabling now! Thank you all!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2014 3:18 PM   in reply to megsfulton

I never had this problem,but that's because Dictation has always been shut off in my Mavericks upgrades. It's amazing how a System setting in OSX that one thinks might not be related can cause problems in Photoshop, and until it's chased down it's difficult to know who is at fault.

Add in third party plug-ins, drivers, and hardware and it does get complicated.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points