Skip navigation
PhotogRob
Currently Being Moderated

Missing 1 pixel on Export

Aug 25, 2013 5:34 AM

Tags: #lr5.0

I'm doing some HDR. Everything is shot raw (CR2, Canon) and processed in LR5. I sync all settings (WB, Lens Correction, etc.) needed. I export full size jpg (I've tried both exporting jpg and tiff) and everytime I do, the first shot of the series has either 1 extra pixel, or missing 1 pixel either on the long axis, or the short. Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason. Since it is 1 pixel off, Neither CS6 or Photomatix will process all the shots. I've checked all the files, and they're all the same dimension when they start out 4176 x 2783. But after processing, the first pic will be 4176 x 2783 and the next 3 or 4 will be 4175 x 2783, or 4176 x 2784, etc...

Windows 7, i7@3.10, x64, 8GB, 2TB hdd.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Aug 25, 2013 6:12 AM   in reply to PhotogRob

Yep - it's a problem: began in Lr5.

You might be able to fix it by editing export preset and setting size_maxHeight and size_maxWidth to .5 higher - never tried it, but it's a numerical rounding error, or so I/we postulate, thus that might help.

For example:

size_maxHeight = 4176.5,
    size_maxWidth = 2783.5,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to PhotogRob

What Canon camera model are you are using? I can't can't find a Canon camera that shoots 4176 x 2783 images in any resolution mode using Google search.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 3:34 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob Cole wrote:

Yep - it's a problem: began in Lr5.

You might be able to fix it by editing export preset and setting size_maxHeight and size_maxWidth to .5 higher - never tried it, but it's a numerical rounding error, or so I/we postulate, thus that might help.

For example:

size_maxHeight = 4176.5,

size_maxWidth = 2783.5,

Rob

No, it still rounds down sometimes to one below the value given.  I've noticed this a few times - since LR5.  It's been discussed before here, and I think logged as a bug. 

Edit: see http://forums.adobe.com/message/5556221

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 3:52 PM   in reply to CSS Simon

So a slightly different crop ratio might do it?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 3:54 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

I've not experimented.  It's just annoying that it gets it wrong - it never used to.  I don't want to alter any of my presets, or they won't work when they fix the bug.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 4:28 PM   in reply to PhotogRob

A few more questions:

1) You say "I export full size jpeg.". Are you changing the image resolution using LR's 'Crop' tool or Export 'Imaging Sizing' tool?

2) What is 'ML?'

3) Have you tried using LR's 'Edit in' 'Merge to HDR Pro in Photoshop' or Photmatix. That's what I use for HDR image processing.

There should be no need to resize the images and they shouldn't change using 'Edit In.'

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 4:36 PM   in reply to PhotogRob

PhotogRob wrote:

So far,adding the .5/px seems to stop the high/low variation

Good to hear.

I'd be interested to know if there are some cases where that does not work.

Thanks,

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 4:40 PM   in reply to Rob Cole

So even when NOT using LR's Export 'Resize to Fit' (i.e. unchecked) you still see the 1 pixel difference?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 25, 2013 4:54 PM   in reply to PhotogRob

Are you absolutely sure ALL of these image files are 4176 x 2783?

If LR Export  'Resize to Fit' is unchecked the file resolution should remain unchanged, unless there's somethig the Photomatix plugin is invoking.....don't know.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 3:39 AM   in reply to trshaner

This may be just adding noise, but thought I'd mention it anyway.    I have noticed that the Flickr publish service frequently erronously generates duplicate copies of my images at Flickr if for any reason I republish (Smugmug is generally flawless).

As part of my attempted investigation as to why this might be happening I have noticed that the duplicated images at Flickr frequently have a difference in dimension by 1 pixel.   

Pub service is set to no resizing, Sharpen for Screen and 93% jpg quality, no additional plugins used or involved.

I have not previously raised this as a bug on the publish service as I can't beleive it would cause the duplicate problem, however this report does strike an accord with me.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to PhotogRob

You say the following concerning how you create the 4176 x 2783 image files.

I think that was post lens correction fo a 8mm Fisheye. OR, the ML in camera 8mm lens correction. The usual raw size is 4752x3168.

I still don't understand where your camera's 4752 x 3168 raw image files are being cropped to a 4176 x 2783 raw file, or are they not raw files? A raw file's image data can't be modified. The only way to crop a raw file is to put the crop information into an XMP sidecar file, or directly into a DNG file copy.

Perhaps you could post a 4176 x 2783 raw image file and XMP sidecar file that has the 1 pixel Export issue to a download site. That's probably the quickest way to determine what's happening....cause I still don't have a clue!

As C S S Simon stated if you start changing Export presets they aren't going to work correctly in a future update. You aren't even using the 'Resize to fit' Export function so your problem is caused by a completely different issue!

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2013 5:24 PM   in reply to trshaner

if you start changing Export presets they aren't going to work correctly in a future update.

correction:

if you start changing Export presets they aren't going to might not work correctly in a future update.

I would guess they'll work just fine when bug is corrected as well. If not, just re-edit and drop the fractional part... - no big deal. (yes, aggravating, but aiming a cussword at Adobe whilst doing it may help to vent excess steam...).

Rob

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 8:00 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

Rob, you are correct and changing the Export preset appears to be the quickest solution.  But the OP says it occurs with 'Resize to fit' unchecked, so how can this be an Export module issue?

We don't how PhototogRob is processing the original raw images to get a 4176 x 2783 file, but unlike Nikon DSLRs all Canon DSLRs shoot exact 2:3 (1:1.5) ratio raw images. A LR Crop using the original 2:3 raw format should produce an exact 2:3 ratio 4176 x 2784 image. I believe this is where the problem is occuring. Why some images crop to 4176 x 2783 and others shot at the same are 4176 x 2784 is still a mystery.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 27, 2013 5:21 PM   in reply to trshaner

trshaner wrote:

it occurs with 'Resize to fit' unchecked, so how can this be an Export module issue?

Maybe it's a crop issue. As we know, the crop ratios are stored as floating point numbers which (presently) lack sufficient precision. Even if not resized for export, Lr still needs to convert a fractional crop to a whole number of edge pixels, and Lr isn't doing that correctly sometimes. So a comprehensive work-around fix involves fixing export presets *and* crop presets *and* crops made with old presets.

The hardest part of that is fixing crops made with old (but not too old) presets (i.e. those defined when crop preset precision lacking). XmpCrop will do it, simply by entering the same crop that you want (it'll re-crop with proper precision), however there is presently no facility for auto-fixing, so one may have to do them one at a time... If Adobe does not repair Lr in 5.2 final release, I'll consider an auto-fix option in XmpCrop. To fix without xmp-crop plugin, just go through and select a different crop, then reselect the "same" (repaired) crop preset.

If unsized exports of uncropped files are wrong then so am I...

R

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 28, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

There' are a slew of reports relating to LR4 AND new LR5 crop issues, but none of them fit this specific case. Until PhototogRob replies with more information we still don't know what's causing the 1 pixel off 4176 x 2783 crop (s/b 4176 x 2784).

My speculation is that the Magic Lantern (ML) firmware is applying an in-camera raw crop in an XMP sidecar that's causing LR to lose 1 pixel precision...but that's purely a SWAG! The Canon 50D 4752 x 3168 (1.5000) full-size raw image should crop inside LR to 4176 x 2784 (1.5000) and Export without any issues.

The OP can test the ML XMP and raw image files by opening the LR Crop tool, hit 'Reset,' and then select and apply LR's '2 x 3 / 4 x 6' standard crop. Next try the LR Export to Photomatix and see if the files retain the proper 4176 x 2784 pixel dimensions.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points